The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

B.C. moves to eliminate court trials for traffic violations

Terrible thinking. Any idea how many laws have been stricken down because people broke them? Bad laws need to be violated to be overturned.

I'm not sure I would consider speeding laws to be akin to a civil injustice. It's not like they're forcing black people to sit at the back of the bus.

However I agree that the court system should stay. But that's more for the protection of people that didn't break the law, not the ones who did.

I guess you enjoy doing 50 on Marine in Vancouver. I can't wait to get to the Burnaby side and drive like my car wasn't made in the 60s.

"Everybody's been speeding. We haven't seen a single person who's been doing the speed limit here." Think of the implications of the traffic cop saying that.

http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2013/09/speed-does-not-kill-vancouver-roads/

Enjoy.

I live on the Island, so I don't drive by there very often.

However, when I do, I often have to drive through that stretch to get back to the ferry. I am fully aware of the limit there and that cops like to frequent the area so I keep my speed reasonable. So far so good. It's not a long stretch of road, so I don't think of it as a big deal.

I guess I don't look at it as a cash grab because I haven't had a ticket in close to 20 years. And every ticket I did get, I fully deserved.

I do like the idea of getting traffic violations out of the courts to free up the time and resources for more important things. People do deserve the right to be heard and to challenge wrongful tickets, but maybe there is a better (more efficient) way than having to go in front of a judge.

I heard on the radio today that 14% of traffic tickets get disputed. I wonder what the percentage of disputed tickets actually have merit versus how many are people just hoping the cop doesn't show up so the ticket gets tossed?

Depends on the municipality. If it was ticketed in Vancouver, most likely the cop won't show up. If it's in smaller regions like Mission or Maple Ridge or Chilliwack, the cop will probably show up. For me, I disputed my ticket because I was a year away from being able to take my Class 5 without having my ticket force me to restart my N class for another 2 years and thats why I disputed my ticket.

So wait, a driver from Alberta gets a ticket, and gets to fight it in court, but a BC citizen who pays BC taxes can't?

I have no problem with arbitrators hired to do the same thing traffic court judge would do. (Maybe bring back more Justice of the Peace?) But this is silly.

I am of the agreement that you shouldn't be allowed to sue for injuries in a claim. We should be like Quebec where if you're injured in an accident, SAAQ takes care of your medical bills and rehab. Of course that will never happen because injury lawyers would pull a massive hissy fit.

Depends on the municipality. If it was ticketed in Vancouver, most likely the cop won't show up. If it's in smaller regions like Mission or Maple Ridge or Chilliwack, the cop will probably show up. For me, I disputed my ticket because I was a year away from being able to take my Class 5 without having my ticket force me to restart my N class for another 2 years and thats why I disputed my ticket.

None of my business, but did you win?

Do not give up your inherent rights. You are presumed innocent unless proven guilty. This means you have the right to mount a defence. You also have the right to challenge/question those who accuse you. It might be a petty traffic issue, but please do not give up your rights.

Not having a proper dispute process is not going to be good for the small percentage of cases where the driver really isn't at fault. I was once a passenger in car accident involving a police officer. We were making a left turn and the cop ran a red light. Conveniently my friend was ticketed for dangerous driving, and driving without due care and attention, however with the amount of witnesses he was able to dispute and have the tickets dropped. If he wasn't able to dispute he would have lost his license for several months, had to pay the insurance deductible for his car and his insurance rates would have gone way up.

Obviously when it the police don't have anyone to be accountable to that's when there is a problem. They should just modify the hearing process so that things don't get thrown out if one party no shows.

Archived