The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Messier Leadership Award if a Canucks player wins?

SkateLogoWasBetter

Many people have more cups than Messier. Not a good enough reason to name anything after him.

On a slightly related topic, a few years ago, messier was the spokesman for lays potato chips. They had a contest where, if you won, messier would bring the cup to your house. If that piece of s#*t showed up at my house with the cup, I would take the cup and slam the door in his stupid face.

That would be so rewarding

His teams missed the playoffs his last 7 seasons! If he gets credit for winning, it goes both ways. Cue bass solo!

Mark Messier was a f********* ing warrior his whole career. He won Stanley Cups that Gretzky couldn't. He was a villian. He was mean. He tried to hurt players. That's what winners do. They win, at any cost. He outwilled his opponents.

If Henrik Sedin had chopped down Chara, or sent Marchand to the hospital he'd be a hero right now instead of cupless.

In his 3 injury-plagued seasons in Vancouver, as a 36 through 38 year old with nothing left to prove, he was still top 3 in scoring every season he was here. Ownership didn't bring him here to be Linden's assistant captain.

Mark Messier hate from Vancouver fans is the most played out cry-baby BS out there. Mostly by 20-somethings who don't even remember the 90's.

Mark Messier was a f********* ing warrior his whole career. He won Stanley Cups that Gretzky couldn't. He was a villian. He was mean. He tried to hurt players. That's what winners do. They win, at any cost. He outwilled his opponents.

If Henrik Sedin had chopped down Chara, or sent Marchand to the hospital he'd be a hero right now instead of cupless.

In his 3 injury-plagued seasons in Vancouver, as a 36 through 38 year old with nothing left to prove, he was still top 3 in scoring every season he was here. Ownership didn't bring him here to be Linden's assistant captain.

Mark Messier hate from Vancouver fans is the most played out cry-baby BS out there. Mostly by 20-somethings who don't even remember the 90's.

First, it's not what he did as a Canuck that makes me hate the living f*&^ out him. It's all about 94. I don't disagree with him being a warrior and a winner and all that, but if you expect me to like him or respect him after his antics to MY TEAM in 94, then you are diluted. Perhaps you weren't around in 94. Calling it "cry-baby BS" is BS itself. Messier is stupid F$%& and I hope he gets food poisoning from a bad batch of Lays and ends up sitting on the john all night draining from both ends. That is what Mark Messier deserves. He is lowlife. He is a dirt-bag. He is scum of the earth. I hate Mark Messier more than any other hockey player in the history of the game. More than Ratts Cooke and Marchand. I am 39.

I hate to say it, but that picture is in part a result of Linden getting whopped and then beat the next game. Messier prevailed there. I have never been a fan of how this franchise has taken defeat as symbols of heroics (surrendering, "Linden has been chopped down..")

When Messier came over and tried to change the culture, was he not right to do so? Despite how it turned out, if memory serves me well, the team was underachieving and Linden was playing so soft. Was he injured at the time? He went from 80 pts. in 82 games to 40 pts. in 49 games to 21 pts. in 42 games.

When Messier came over and tried to change the culture, was he not right to do so? Despite how it turned out, if memory serves me well, the team was underachieving and Linden was playing so soft. Was he injured at the time? He went from 80 pts. in 82 games to 40 pts. in 49 games to 21 pts. in 42 games.

The whole organization was a disaster at the time. Imagine now if Benning, or MG, had signed a washed up 36 year old to a contract like that to patch up his core of players.

Messier is one of the greatest hockey players of all time, but he was pretty much done at that point. He had had too many wars. Never played a playoff game again. Was a minus player 6 of his last 7 seasons.

The whole organization was a disaster at the time. Imagine now if Benning, or MG, had signed a washed up 36 year old to a contract like that to patch up his core of players.

Messier is one of the greatest hockey players of all time, but he was pretty much done at that point. He had had too many wars. Never played a playoff game again. Was a minus player 6 of his last 7 seasons.

In hindsight, what do you think the better fix would have been? I hate to say it but maybe the leadership at the time did need a shakeup.

It's funny how the guy the NHL holds out as the greatest leader of all time and award worthy has never been hired as a coach or gm by any of the teams.

I mean even the old boys network in Edmonton passed him over several times as coach and gm. How much of a mirage does your leadership skill have to be to not even get hired there?

I have had the distinct displeasure of meeting and talking to Messier a few times and few people come across as arrogant, self important a-holes quite the way he does. He has earned the right I suppose but his style of leadership doesn't seem to be as relevant todayas it may have been.

Regardless of what he did in Vancouver (or what he didn't do in Vancouver), I personally think it's a farce that there is an award named after Messier.

I can go into a bunch a reasons why, but I think there are a number of other players that are more deserving of having an award named ahead of him for leadership...Wayne Gretzky, Bobby Orr and Mario Lemieux are three that reflexively comes to mind.

Stevey Y.

Personally, I think the award should be renamed after THE greatest captain and epitome of pure class and elegance... Jean Beliveau. And I've always wondered why a guy like Lindsay, as good as he was, is used to represent the "Most Outstanding Player Award" over guys like Gretzky, Lemieux and Howe.

Personally, I think the award should be renamed after THE greatest captain and epitome of pure class and elegance... Jean Beliveau. And I've always wondered why a guy like Lindsay, as good as he was, is used to represent the "Most Outstanding Player Award" over guys like Gretzky, Lemieux and Howe.

Beliveau for sure would have been much better. There wouldn't have been any questions. Messier was not loved by all. He was nowhere near as well respected as beliveau

In hindsight, what do you think the better fix would have been? I hate to say it but maybe the leadership at the time did need a shakeup.

At the time, the leadership was Trevor who offered his captaincy to Messier. I don't think treating Messier with special consideration (ie, he would be sent off on some nice vacation while the rest of the team was practising) was the shake up the team needed.

PFFFFLLLTTTT!

Wouldnt the wiser, more humble and respectful strategy have been to enter a new dressing room and earn your 'own' respect from within, over-time and accept the 'A' after than had happened? The Canucks' dressingroom had been to war 'against' Messier. Mess was a despicable cheater,..their captain Trev, the clear and more honorable white knight, only beaten by league manipulations, after scoring 2 very heroic "climb-on-my-back" goals of his own in Game 7 of the '94 Final. If Linden offered-up his 'captaincy' under pressure,..the bigger more unifying message, would have been for Messier to decline-it and tell the group he would strive to earn his place on the leadership-group through his deeds - for them, in the future. That still would have been a hopeless notion, tho' ....because Messier's character had already been 'thoroughly' revealed to the veterans. It was always going to be him....or them.

That despicable 'Orca Bay' gang of non-hockey people, put in place by absentee-owner McCaw, pressed hard to bring Messier in to core-bust and then acquire more 'super-stars' and use Messier's rep with the NHL to become an 'insider'. But - Messier wasn't wearing the right uniform that enabled him anymore, and both plans failed miserably. Messier was an anti-leader, on so many fronts in VAN, not filling 1/10th of the community obligations the former-captain had met. Only a few flashy events saw Mess...who spent far more time out of our city - than in it, while he was the Canucks' so-called captain.

Seriously, outside of EDM or NY, nobody hero-worships that^ suspension dodger....over players like: Gretzky, Yzerman, Sakic, Linden, LaFontaine, Modano, and other far more respected leaders who have been trusted to lead, both on and off of the ice. Any major 'leadership award' in hockey should be about legacy, character and role-modelling, dude. If you read what the 'Messier Award' is SUPPOSED to be lauding and promoting....Mark Messier wouldn't even qualify for it, if properly vetted.

It took the assistance of many other players to win those Stanley Cup rings of his, yet Messier and the league would have you believe it was ALL him. Messier had an exceptionally strong game after guaranteeing a win vs the NYI, once, but most of the things he's been praised or elevated for by the league,..were the result of enabled atrocities, while he wore a certain uniform. It's the traditional NHL power-brokers, not the players, who've decided to make Messier the 'face of the NHL' for a host of reasons - unrelated to any award or recognition criteria. They just desperately want a more permanent 'face of the league' to be from an O-6.

League king-pins, many of whom are traditionalists, are also sending a cryptic 'mixed-message' to the players, essentially lauding on-ice retributions, aggression and violence for heightening drama and rivalries,..while the league rule-book, for legal purposes and optic's sake, is supposedly reining this stuff in.

Messier's legacy glass is LESS than 1/2 full. He remains a very strong anti-hero to many, yet the NHL feverishly white-washes his stripes. They do their best to rewrite and manipulate past/modern hockey history, so that 1 of the NHL's most lucrative markets wont forget '94 - despite all other offerings snd distractions - and stays hooked on NHL-hockey. So 'Commissioner-Bettman'...don't ya think!?

Well, in this market, anyway, it will remain virtually impossible to sell Messier as anything other than a cheater, usurper, and villian. How many complaints do ya think Rogers got from those commercials having Messier in a living-room full of Canucks'-fans? Why do they (the NHL and their media partners) have to troll VAN? If it isn't obvious yet, thru all of on-ice refereeing-debaucles or the current composition of the DPS,...we are not 'New York-ers' and remain in outer-darkness on the outside lookin' in. We're not alone tho'. Time for change!

I think Messier was brought in to change the culture. The team was underachieving so much. Even in 1994 they were a .500 team with a pretty stacked roster. Messier was brought in to lead a takeover I think and as much as I admire Linden, he maybe needed a kickstart at that time.

Archived