The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Seattle 2017

Boudrias

In the event of an expansion there would be an expansion draft in which the expanded teams would get to pick players from other teams in the league and I believe 1st shot at Free agency (I guess advanced negotiation time) it is supposed to be that teams can protect either (1 goalie, 5 Defencemen, and 9 forwards) or (2 goalies, 3 defencemen, and 7 forwards)

whom would be exempt from being drafted. these are however from the last expansion so I assume the protection rules will change should the nhl expand.

I know there is an expansion draft and I know teams can protect players. What I am eluding too is there will be roughly 46 extra jobs created in the NHL if Vegas and Seattle are expansions, and these jobs will be filled by players who were previously not good enough to make the NHL.

So who do teams fill their vacant roster spots with....will they go with their inexperienced youth or disregarded goons?

I know there is an expansion draft and I know teams can protect players. What I am eluding too is there will be roughly 46 extra jobs created in the NHL if Vegas and Seattle are expansions, and these jobs will be filled by players who were previously not good enough to make the NHL.

So who do teams fill their vacant roster spots with....will they go with their inexperienced youth or disregarded goons?

How many players do the Canucks have alone that you'd like to see playing in the league that are on the farm? Every team in the league has good players that are not playing that could play in the NHL. What are we talking about, two players per team that would open doors for two prospects?

Location and construction date set. Investment group prepared to take a NHL franchise on prior to a NBA commitment. City is on board. Building supposed to be ready for play in the fall of 2017.

Not as great a impact as the Utica AHL on the Canucks future but a very big deal none the less.

As far as I'm aware, and I can't find anything on search, there's nothing finalized on any building in either location.

Really would love to see a franchise in Seattle, but I would be absolutely stunned if they were able to pull it together by the start of 2017 season. I think 2018 is the absolute earliest and by the time all paperwork gets done for either proposed location, 2019 is probably more realistic.

Personally, I think 32 teams is the perfect number. 16 make the playoffs, 16 don't. 8 teams in each division. I wouldn't expand beyond that. If any other markets want a team, they should have to go through relocation.

Personally, I think 32 teams is the perfect number. 16 make the playoffs, 16 don't. 8 teams in each division. I wouldn't expand beyond that. If any other markets want a team, they should have to go through relocation.

While I fully agree with you, I bet with expansion we will also see expanded playoffs.

My money is on 4 more wildcard spots with a best-of-three wildcard round.

Ideally, IMO, Vegas and Seattle would get teams and there would be 16 in the east, 16 in the west. Then drop the wildcard thing and just go back to 1vs8, 2vs7 etc.

I really don't like the change in the playoff seeding.

Anyway, as for Seattle - that would be amazing if they got a team. I would 100% go to a handful of games every season. Hope they do what Buffalo does and sing the Canadian anthem all the time.

Welcome back to the NHL Tom Sestito!

While I'd love a rival Seattle team. Would it get the kind of support it needs with all the sports competition?

Order of Sports/teams popularity...

Vancouver:

NHL

CFL

MLS

..other

Seattle:

NFL

MLB

NBA (they will eventually come back, at the same time or not long after the NHL, and may unsurp MLB as #2)

MLS

College Football

Where does NHL fit in there? Near the bottom somewhere. They'll have to be very good very quickly, within 5 years to have a chance.

Location and construction date set. Investment group prepared to take a NHL franchise on prior to a NBA commitment. City is on board. Building supposed to be ready for play in the fall of 2017.

Not as great a impact as the Utica AHL on the Canucks future but a very big deal none the less.

Great news!

Archived