The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mayweather vs. Pacquiao - live discussion

Orka

This is why K7 is the s**t, you get points off for basically all the bitch stuff mayweather was doing tonight

I just dont care anymore..I remember when Arturo Gatti fought that guy..I was mad then as well...Mayweather is just such a rotten assh$le

Mayweather fought to win, he fought smart. You guys might not like it but thats how you win. Manny was more entertaining but Floyd was just an overall better fighter. Being an entertaining fighter doesnt earn you points if you cant hit the guy. But im happy, won a hundo

All match? Really? All match? The vast majority of the fight was fought in the middle of the ring where Floyd was in total control. And on the ropes, the majority of Manny's flurries were hitting Floyd's arms. I'm not sure how much boxing you watch, but if you couldn't see this as a clear win for Floyd, it might not be the sport you should be trying to score.

Was not a clear win for FM, Manny was the aggressor and landed more , Floyd just danced around... even if I gave you the benefit of the doubt, at the very least it should have been a draw....

Even though i'm not a boxing fan I watched the entire event and enjoyed most of it. The only thing that I hated was how Mayweather grabbed Pacquiao everytime he started to put pressure on him, it was boring and slowed it down a lot. I guess that's what you have to do to win though.

Was not a clear win for FM, Manny was the aggressor and landed more , Floyd just danced around... even if I gave you the benefit of the doubt, at the very least it should have been a draw....

Sorry, who landed more?

punchstats.jpg

Just because the crowd oohs and aahs every time Manny threw, doesn't mean he was throwing effective punches. Floyd was landing way more clean, crisp, accurate shots inside. And he controlled the pace of the fight to his exact speed. That's ring generalship.

Don't watch much boxing, but tuned into this because of the hype. Didn't realize how old these guys were either. Is it fair to say that the hype was more for what they were in their prime than what they are now?

Hard to imagine that being the fight of the decade.

Don't watch much boxing, but tuned into this because of the hype. Didn't realize how old these guys were either. Is it fair to say that the hype was more for what they were in their prime than what they are now?

Hard to imagine that being the fight of the decade.

I think the hype was based on what casual viewers thought the fight would be. Been watching boxing longer than I've been watching hockey. This is exactly what I, and most boxing fans, thought the fight would look like. Manny has never looked good against solid defensive fighters even in years past. Had troubles against Marquez. Looked normal against Baldomir. Looked normal against Bradley.

And Manny has NEVER been a balls-to-the-wall aggressive fighter who goes all out, a style that has given Mayweather a little bit of trouble in the past (Castillo, Maidana). But Manny has always fought with more of a tactical aggression since working with Freddie Roach. This fight was exactly what boxing fans thought it would be like.

I think the hype was based on what casual viewers thought the fight would be. Been watching boxing longer than I've been watching hockey. This is exactly what I, and most boxing fans, thought the fight would look like. Manny has never looked good against solid defensive fighters even in years past. Had troubles against Marquez. Looked normal against Baldomir. Looked normal against Bradley.

And Manny has NEVER been a balls-to-the-wall aggressive fighter who goes all out, a style that has given Mayweather a little bit of trouble in the past (Castillo, Maidana). But Manny has always fought with more of a tactical aggression since working with Freddie Roach. This fight was exactly what boxing fans thought it would be like.

Ah, this makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the explanation!

MW had a significant size and reach advantage, and I have to say, he used it very effectively. Very few fighters in any fighting sport actually know how to use their reach to their advantage, MW is one of them. Kudos to him, he may be arrogant, but most fighters think think the same way, its just the way they are programmed, a good fighter never thinks he is 2nd or that they lost a fight. I was rooting for Paq, but MW played to win, and unfortunately, the way to win was not to entertain the crowd who paid a LOT of money to watch.

When you see a usually more aggressive fighter throw far fewer punches than used to seeing, it is almost always because the guy in front of him is not letting him do what he wants.

People are mad because this was the 'fight of the century' and it wasn't worth the money and didn't live up to the hype. It wasn't an all action packed fight and that's because Mayweather didn't really fight toe to toe. He was pot shotting PAC, he is more accurate hence the punches landed.

Mayweather fought to win, he fought smart. You guys might not like it but thats how you win. Manny was more entertaining but Floyd was just an overall better fighter. Being an entertaining fighter doesnt earn you points if you cant hit the guy. But im happy, won a hundo

where you a judge?

MW had a significant size and reach advantage, and I have to say, he used it very effectively. Very few fighters in any fighting sport actually know how to use their reach to their advantage, MW is one of them. Kudos to him, he may be arrogant, but most fighters think think the same way, its just the way they are programmed, a good fighter never thinks he is 2nd or that they lost a fight. I was rooting for Paq, but MW played to win, and unfortunately, the way to win was not to entertain the crowd who paid a LOT of money to watch.

he isnt only arrogant...he is a crap hole...he is about the money and knocking his woman around...cant stand the dude..he needs a rude awakening..

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/may/02/floyd-mayweather-cnn-espn-reporters-say-banned-fight

Here's the deal....defense isn't fighting and this was garbage. People saying Floyd "fought a better fight"? - he didn't fight...he played hide and seek and ran away. Sure, that may be his strategy but it's bogus and that's not fighting. I'd like to know who keeps count because it sure seems off.

Absolute garbage if that's how you win a fight now...to avoid fighting for the most part.

I think Khan vs Mayweather would be entertaining to see. Khan can throw together some strong combinations that can do some damage. Mayweather would win nonetheless.

Prince Khan who came into the ring on a flying carpet...lol...yeah...thats about right..2 floons fighting

I disagree, Manny didn't land more. And Floyds "Dancing around" was him being sound defensively and throwing sharp, articulated punches; which is what he's known best for. If you've seen Floyd fight before (especially in recent years) you'd know that he doesn't involve himself in exciting fights or brawls. He is a perfectionist type of boxer that revolves around his defense and outsmarting his opponent. A clear cut win for Mayweather.

Here's the deal....defense isn't fighting and this was garbage. People saying Floyd "fought a better fight"? - he didn't fight...he played hide and seek and ran away. Sure, that may be his strategy but it's bogus and that's not fighting. I'd like to know who keeps count because it sure seems off.

Absolute garbage if that's how you win a fight now...to avoid fighting for the most part.

But the name of the sport is boxing, not fighting. And the game of boxing is to hit and not get hit. Defense is a huge part of boxing.

Nowadays boxing is more of a mental game rather than who can pop the other in the jaw and ribs more. Although it did appear that

Manny threw more punches, most of them hit thin air or Floyd rolled of them.

Archived