The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mike Babcock

Last night the Sabres went from negotiating a 6yr./$30 Million contract with Mike Babcock to reportedly dropping out of the "race" for his services as head coach today.

The Red Wings upped their offer and are standing firm with 5yrs./$20 Million. Reportedly that puts them out of the race.

Barring a change of heart, It's now down to the Maple Leafs, Blues, and the Sharks.

Since Babcock said that he wants to decide today, my bet is that he will sign with Toronto. That will be fun to watch for the next 2-3 years if it happens.

I'm a bit surprised that he's commanding these kind of salary offers and attention.

*edit* changed the Red Wings term to the new current offer.

It's going to come down to whether Babcock wants the challenge of turning around a floundering franchise, or inherit a still decent core with some good youth. Personally, if it comes down to St Louis or San Jose, I think it's a no brainer to take San Jose (sun, fun and a still decent team), I just hope that's NOT the case, because Babcock and McLellan both coaching new teams with something to prove in the same division as the Canucks spells trouble.

Then again, maybe we'll have a shot at Chychrun lol.

Rumour had it two days ago that he said no to St. Louis because he didn't want to put his friend out of a job. If he ends up sticking to that then that leaves SJ and Toronto. My money is on Toronto.

*edit* Yep, the Blues are out. http://www.stltoday.com/sports/hockey/professional/blues-out-of-the-mix-on-babcock/article_6f6d1cbd-8ae7-5986-84d0-653e62df351c.html

According to ta report from Jeff Veillette of the Leaf’s Nation Maple Leafs Sports and Entertainment’s private jet is scheduled to land in Detroit at 5:42 PM today and will then take off just minutes later at 5:45 pm making it seem very much like they are simply picking someone up.

This would seem to indicate that Mike Babcock is the next head coach of the Toronto Maple Leafs but as of this writing it’s still unconfirmed.

I'd have picked Buf or SJ myself probably but TO's likely throwing a boatload of money at him...so good for him I guess.

I don't see how they can be remotely competitive for like 2+ years though and that's if things go well...

According to ta report from Jeff Veillette of the Leaf’s Nation Maple Leafs Sports and Entertainment’s private jet is scheduled to land in Detroit at 5:42 PM today and will then take off just minutes later at 5:45 pm making it seem very much like they are simply picking someone up.

This would seem to indicate that Mike Babcock is the next head coach of the Toronto Maple Leafs but as of this writing it’s still unconfirmed.

Beat ya to it. Look up a post. ;)

I'd have picked Buf or SJ myself probably but TO's likely throwing a boatload of money at him...so good for him I guess.

I don't see how they can be remotely competitive for like 2+ years though and that's if things go well...

I don't think it was just the money. He is looking for near total personnel control. The Leaf's have probably promised that to him.

Not to mention that it's the Toronto Maple Leafs. If he brings them their first cup in over 40 yrs. then he will become a legend.

The Sabres can't offer him that kind of legacy.

I don't think it was just the money. He is looking for near total personnel control. The Leaf's have probably promised that to him.

Not to mention that it's the Toronto Maple Leafs. If he brings them their first cup in over 40 yrs. then he will become a legend.

The Sabres can't offer him that kind of legacy.

g1336812879857853609.jpg

Babcock to TO. 8yrs 50+/- mil.

Dreger, Friedman etc.

If that's USD and not Canadian money, he just struck it rich. Good on him. I'm guessing that there's a few Leafs veterans that are crying right about now. Babcock is not known for putting up with any B.S.

Archived