The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Secret of Success

Hugor Hill

This Comic Will Forever Change the Way You Look at Privilege

Toby Morris describes himself as “an Auckland-based illustrator, art director, comic artist and recently the author of Don't Puke On Your Dad: A Year in the Life of a New Father.”

His recent comic, The Pencilsword's “On a Plate” illustrates the concept of privilege, and delivers the truth with a punchline that literally hits you in the gut.

He places two individuals side by side, showing how financial security and benefits, or the lack of it, affects them even if they come from households that love and support them, leading to two completely different outcomes.

http://www.vagabomb.com/This-Comic-Will-Forever-Change-the-Way-You-Look-at-Privilege/

Maybe do away with the concept that it's all me me me me. There's a few billion other people who have the same hopes and dreams and aspirations. Start working together, instead of just doing what's best for yourself.

I wish the better part of 7 people billion thought this way.

There was a special in Forbes magazine a few months back about how the wealthy create wealthy kids not by inheritance but by how they raise and nurture them. Born and raised to succeed.

Of course wealth is only one of the four cornerstones of what I would call a successful life. "Health, wealth, love, happiness" in no particular order.

There was a special in Forbes magazine a few months back about how the wealthy create wealthy kids not by inheritance but by how they raise and nurture them. Born and raised to succeed.

Of course wealth is only one of the four cornerstones of what I would call a successful life. "Health, wealth, love, happiness" in no particular order.

Surely happiness is more important than wealth

I would rather be poor but happy rather than wealthy and miserable.

Wealth would come last on list of the four things you have listed.

In fact most of the time I enjoy a happy , healthy life with people I love and who love me. I do not have much wealth and do not place much value on material things.

What monetary wealth I do generate I feel impelled to share with others less fortunate than myself.

Surely happiness is more important than wealth

I would rather be poor but happy rather than wealthy and miserable.

Wealth would come last on list of the four things you have listed.

In fact most of the time I enjoy a happy , healthy life with people I love and who love me. I do not have much wealth and do not place much value on material things.

What monetary wealth I do generate I feel impelled to share with others less fortunate than myself.

A lot of people are constantly stressed about money. A lot of people work at jobs they hate for money. A lot of people have to spend a large amount of time away from the people they care about for money. Its all part of it.

Paris Hilton?

A lot of people are constantly stressed about money. A lot of people work at jobs they hate for money. A lot of people have to spend a large amount of time away from the people they care about for money. Its all part of it.

We all make our own choices .

I choose to work at a job that does not reward me monetarily for how hard I work, but it allows me to be around the people I love doing something I love , creating something that others say brings beauty into their lives.

We will never be rich because we share our wealth with others less fortunate and sometimes we struggle to pay the mortage , but I never stress about money.

I spent five ski seasons sleeping in the back of my car on the side of the road at Mt.hotham. The money I saved from not having to pay for a bed for the season enabled me to sponsor five more kids in africa while I still was skiing everyday having some of the best times in my life.

Money does not buy and/or guarantee one happiness.

The nurturing part may be true, but it also helps that their parents can afford to give them every opportunity and advantage along the way. Plenty of smart and even brilliant people never attend any sort of post-secondary (which isn't the be all and end all but it certainly plays a huge role in careers) simply because they can't afford it. Obviously there's loans that can cover schooling but student loan debts have suffocated many people and scared others off entirely. Athletically, a wealthy upbringing plays a large advantage too. Is Trevor Gretzky a significantly more talented baseball player than the thousands of other kids his age in North America who grew up playing the game? As a 7th round pick in the amateur draft, yeah, he displayed some talents, but the advantages that his dad's financial prosperity afforded him very likely helped too. Better coaching, better equipment (minor advantage)...do you think he had to give up a summer to work a job like most of his peers? Doubtful.

Archived