Canucks Community

(Proposal) Van - NJ

To New Jersey

23rd Overall Pick

Nicklas Jensen

To Vancouver

Eric Gelinas

36th Overall

The rebuilding Devils move up in the draft with another first round selection and add a talented prospect who might need a change of scenery.

The Canucks gain a puck moving d man with a cannon of a shot on the PP. We could still add a quality defenceman with the 36th overall pick as well.... Rasmus Andersson?

Gelinas is a good defensive prospect. I'd say a little more than just Jensen, but then again, we're moving down thirteen spots...

I feel like I'd rather take my chances with the 23rd than the 36th. It's like, Svechnikov or Guryanov or Kylington or Meloche could be available at 23, but maybe one of those will only be available at 36.

But then again, you do get Gelinas...

I'm torn on this one.

Sorry everyone, I gotta disagree.

If the going rate for prospects with potential to earn a roster spot is a second (ref. Baertschi, Vey) and that's what the 36th is for (who knows, Shero just might be desperate since they've got next to nobody who can play top-6 right wing minutes [they had Tootoo and Bernier there last season after Ryder and Havlat weren't available]) then we're essentially trading a 1st round pick, albeit a late 1st, for Gelinas' R.F.A. rights.

Couldn't we just trade Jensen for those rights if we really wanted? I'd rather they just use the 1st round pick to pick a player. Sure, trading the 1st could get a more established player like Quincey or Ballard works as a quick fix but I'd rather just be patient in letting the prospect picked develop so we'd have a cost-controlled future asset than rush to deal the pick away and go through another era with a bare prospect cupboard.

Same Gelinas could break out with a change of scenery and different system. He's ready to play now and we should get a solid defensive prospect with that second round pick.

it would look a lot better if we could make a secondary deal that gets us an additional 1st.

Eg, if we went into the Draft with #23, Hamhuis, Vrbata, Jensen

And walked out with

#16, #33, #36, and Gelinas

#16- Svechnikov

#33- Andersson

#36- Meloche

I would be pleased

Good trade, I'd do it in a heartbeat and NJ would definately consider it. They've got enough good young defencemen but are thin up front in the future and need someone to replace their veterans quickly. It would be nice if we could hold on to our 1st rounder though, just so that we may draft a defenceman who can play with our suddenly-revamped defence in the future.

Jensen + 2nd round pick (acquired for a trade with any cup contender for Chris Higgins) for Gelinas.

Draft Kylington.

Future defence in 3-5 years:

Edler - Clendening

Gelinas - Tanev

Kylington - Corrado

Sbisa - Subban

Archived