to van: 3rd pick 2015 #72, 4th pick 2016

to sj: lack

to van: 2nd pick 2015 #39

to mtl: burrows

to van: tinordi, 3rd pick 2015 #87

to det: bieksa, vey

to van: 2nd pick 2016, 4th pick 2017

sign santorelli 1yr/1.5m

higgins and burrows get sent home and we get picks and a depth player. bieksa and vey get a fresh start in a world class franchise. sj gets their young goalie and we get a high 2nd round pick.

sedin-sedin-kassian

baerschi-horvat-vrbata

dorsett-bonino-virtanen

kenins-santorelli-hansen

gaunce

edler-tanev

hamhuis-corrado

sbisa-weber

stanton-clendening

roughly 9m in capspace

to nyi: higgins

to van: 3rd pick 2015 #72, 4th pick 2016

to sj: lack

to van: 2nd pick 2015 #39

sign santorelli 1yr/1.5m

higgins and burrows get sent home and we get picks and a depth player. bieksa and vey get a fresh start in a world class franchise. sj gets their young goalie and we get a high 2nd round pick.

sedin-sedin-kassian

baerschi-horvat-vrbata

dorsett-bonino-virtanen

kenins-santorelli-hansen

gaunce

edler-tanev

hamhuis-corrado

sbisa-weber

stanton-clendening

roughly 9m in capspace

burrows is worth at most a 2nd you're not getting tinordi.

Montreal has zero use for Burrows, especially at that price. Only way I see him ending up in Montreal is if the Canucks take back an equally bad contract like Parenteau or Emelin. Even then I doubt it. Montreal has more than enough bottle 6 guys

sign santorelli 1yr/1.5m

Aside from any other concerns, I don't see why Montreal or Detroit would consider these deals as things are now.

1. According to hockeyscap.com, Montreal has $6,725,000 left in cap space for next season and has 18 players signed. If we assume they carry a roster of 23 players, that means they have a little over $6.7 million for 5 players.

Burrows cap hit is $4.5. Tinordi is not one of their signed players so his hit goes to Montreal without reduction, leaving them $2.225 million to sign 4 players, or insufficient even to pay 4 players the league minimum salary of $575K.

I think enough of Burrows to think he'd help pretty much any team, but don't see Montreal having cap space or a roster space for him without moving some other forward.

2. Where would Bieksa and Vey fit on the Detroit roster? I don't see any reason Detroit would want them.

Defence-Detroit has veterans so doesn't appear to need someone as a mentor. They've got Kronwall, Ericksson and Quincey, all 29+. They've got Dekeyser (age 24), Smith (age 25), Kindl (age 27) and Ouellet (age 21), though Smith is a RFA as he hasn't signed yet for next season. (He had a reasonable cap hit this season at $1.2625 mill.) They have two prospects that could be ready for the NHL in Sproul and Marchenko. They traded a 3rd at the deadline for 38 YO Zidlicky, who played well for them and wants to play next season. His cap hit last season was $2 million, considerably less than Bieksa's is.

That makes 9 without Bieksa or Zidlicky. I don't see why they'd trade for Bieksa.

I also don't see why they'd trade for Vey. Yes, they have some aging forwards but in addition to Datsyuk, Zetterberg and the rest of the vets, they have a number of forwards, especially centers, that are still fairly young.

Datsyuk and Zetterberg are still stars even though older than the twins.

They've got at C as well as oldsters Datsyuk, Weiss and Franzen (all signed through 2017 or later) younger centres such as Tatar (signed thru 2017) and Nyquist (RFA but clearly the Wings will want to keep him) who bring somewhat similar strengths as Vey, only better. Then there's Riley Sheahan, Darren Helm and Luke Glendening, all regulars for the Wings this past season and all signed for this coming season.

Some of those centers play on the wing. In addition they've got Pulkkinen ready and waiting for a RW spot to open up as well as Anthony Mantha.

I don't see a need for Vey any more than a need for Bieksa.

Am I missing somethign? Why would Detroit trade picks for two players that are surplus to their needs and they really don't have room for?

I agree with trading those players, almost exactly. But...I also agree with Tyhee that the destinations would not work, nor would the returns be that much.

Higgins = 3rd only

Burrows = 3rd only

Vey = 2nd or 3rd,depending on the team in question; does anyone still believe in his offensive capability?

Bieksa = 3rd, and MAYBE a 5th in the next draft, and only if it was conditional on performance

Lack = 2nd + 4th/5th...but I am in the "trade Miller" camp

Signing Santo...I would rather resign Richardson, and develop Cassels for that spot.

Aside from any other concerns, I don't see why Montreal or Detroit would consider these deals as things are now.

1. According to hockeyscap.com, Montreal has $6,725,000 left in cap space for next season and has 18 players signed. If we assume they carry a roster of 23 players, that means they have a little over $6.7 million for 5 players.

Burrows cap hit is $4.5. Tinordi is not one of their signed players so his hit goes to Montreal without reduction, leaving them $2.225 million to sign 4 players, or insufficient even to pay 4 players the league minimum salary of $575K.

I think enough of Burrows to think he'd help pretty much any team, but don't see Montreal having cap space or a roster space for him without moving some other forward.

2. Where would Bieksa and Vey fit on the Detroit roster? I don't see any reason Detroit would want them.

Defence-Detroit has veterans so doesn't appear to need someone as a mentor. They've got Kronwall, Ericksson and Quincey, all 29+. They've got Dekeyser (age 24), Smith (age 25), Kindl (age 27) and Ouellet (age 21), though Smith is a RFA as he hasn't signed yet for next season. (He had a reasonable cap hit this season at $1.2625 mill.) They have two prospects that could be ready for the NHL in Sproul and Marchenko. They traded a 3rd at the deadline for 38 YO Zidlicky, who played well for them and wants to play next season. His cap hit last season was $2 million, considerably less than Bieksa's is.

That makes 9 without Bieksa or Zidlicky. I don't see why they'd trade for Bieksa.

I also don't see why they'd trade for Vey. Yes, they have some aging forwards but in addition to Datsyuk, Zetterberg and the rest of the vets, they have a number of forwards, especially centers, that are still fairly young.

Datsyuk and Zetterberg are still stars even though older than the twins.

They've got at C as well as oldsters Datsyuk, Weiss and Franzen (all signed through 2017 or later) younger centres such as Tatar (signed thru 2017) and Nyquist (RFA but clearly the Wings will want to keep him) who bring somewhat similar strengths as Vey, only better. Then there's Riley Sheahan, Darren Helm and Luke Glendening, all regulars for the Wings this past season and all signed for this coming season.

Some of those centers play on the wing. In addition they've got Pulkkinen ready and waiting for a RW spot to open up as well as Anthony Mantha.

I don't see a need for Vey any more than a need for Bieksa.

Am I missing somethign? Why would Detroit trade picks for two players that are surplus to their needs and they really don't have room for?

I feel mtl won't have parenteau back next year and bergevin has worked magic before on working deals to favour his club. I also think mtl would be the only team burrows might waive too, they need 2nd/3rd line scoring and burrows could bring that.

Yes fair points on the det-van deal and honestly I'm not sold on that deal, I just feel bieksa would feel comfortable going to det and vey fits their player mould better and vey is also a better RW Detroit loves their vets and they need more right handed shots to balance things out a little. Detroit also has lots of frequently injured players so depth is important over there

As much as bieksa lives and breathes Canucks colours, we need bieksa gone to make room for Clendening and corrado on the right side and I'm having a hard time finding a team he'd waive too so that's why I might be forcing a deal to Detroit. Maybe cbj would be a fit?

Abdelkader-datsyuk-Tatar

Nyquist-zetterberg-franzen

Helm-Weiss-vey

Miller-glendening-sheahan

Jurco-andersson

Kronwall-Ericsson

Dekeyser-quincey

Smith-bieksa

Kindl-lashoff

Quellet

Kindl is a enigma in det and a constant healthy scratch so he'll probably get dealt and franzen, helm and Weiss are always battling an injury.

Archived