The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brock Boeser | #6 | RW

thejazz97

2 hours ago, JamesB said:

I noticed the same thing. The knock on Boeser was supposed to be that he was not a great skater but I have heard lots of people comment positively on his skating and in highlights and parts of games I have seen his skating has looked very good.

I think he is one of those guys who has good enough anticipation (high hockey IQ) that he is often able to get in position without skating hard. So it looks like he is not a dynamic skater, but he has good speed, balance, and acceleration when needed. 

Look at Gaunce and Horvat their skating in Jr was a made to be a bigger problem, now its a big strength of theirs, not worried about that at all for Mr. Boeser.

11 hours ago, Cowardrobertford said:

Elite skater? Hyperbole

He has the same approach as Gaunce. He does need to improve his quickness, but he doesn't waste energy trying to get to spots on the ice. That's why when you watch him closely, he sometime looks like he's coasting or floating around. When the play does come to him though, he can turn on the jets pretty well for a young player. I hate the word elite. Connor McDavid and Jake Virtanen are prospects that may be in that category.

Edited by canuckledraggin

16 minutes ago, canuckledraggin said:

He has the same approach as Gaunce. He does need to improve his quickness, but he doesn't waste energy trying to get to spots on the ice. That's why when you watch him closely, he sometime looks like he's coasting or floating around. When the play does come to him though, he can turn on the jets pretty well for a young player. I hate the word elite. Connor McDavid and Jake Virtanen are prospects that may be in that category.

Alf like how you suggest that Boeser is a "smart" skater.  He has excellent timing and anticipation for both offence and defense.  He also has extremely quick hands, as indicated by the release on his shot, and his face-off success.  His feet are quick too, but - like you say - he needs to improve his skating, but he has the talents to do so.  

Edited by Alflives

1 hour ago, WTG said:

I'm going to say it...for all the crap Craig Button takes on these boards, looks like he might actually know what he's doing considering he said at this draft that Boeser was a top 10 talent in the draft.

I also remember the spasm these boards had when in his personal rating had Jake as the 43rd best player in the draft. I know he eventually changed it to top 10 in his official mock draft, but still, maybe he does know his stuff so I like what I'm hearing from him about Boeser (and Demko).

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, MJDDawg said:

I'm going to say it...for all the crap Craig Button takes on these boards, looks like he might actually know what he's doing considering he said at this draft that Boeser was a top 10 talent in the draft.

I also remember the spasm these boards had when in his personal rating had Jake as the 43rd best player in the draft. I know he eventually changed it to top 10 in his official mock draft, but still, maybe he does know his stuff so I like what I'm hearing from him about Boeser (and Demko).

Boeser yes, but Demko has not signed, do how can you like what you are hearing about him?  

8 hours ago, redhdlois said:

You have a hair fetish Thrusty lol

I do love a solid flow lol maybe that's the reason men like Fabio, etc. are popular. But seriously, I thought he seemed like a nice kid. I was a little wary of drafting another forward when we lack depth of D men in the development pool. I had no idea he'd be so dominant, but I'm pleasantly surprised. He's a stud. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Boeser yes, but Demko has not signed, do how can you like what you are hearing about him?  

Every time you type Demko's name you are trolling. It has crossed over into several threads now. You are 100% trolling after basically spamming your views on the situation. Wait another year before you flip your lid.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, canuckledraggin said:

Every time you type Demko's name you are trolling. It has crossed over into several threads now. You are 100% trolling after basically spamming your views on the situation. Wait another year before you flip your lid.

You are cute.  Alf has a different view on these college kids than you.  Alf sees all these college kids as pretty much UFA's.  Where all other guys have to go through being controlled by the team that drafts them, these college guys don't.  They can become UFAs, and pick their own organization, at 22.  Sure they are limited by contract rules for their salary, but they can pick the organization that they feel provides the best opportunity to get an NHL contract.  Boeser is a great player, and I hope we can sign him, but until we do get him signed he's pretty much a UFA.  IMHAO, of course.  

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

You are cute.  Alf has a different view on these college kids than you.  Alf sees all these college kids as pretty much UFA's.  Where all other guys have to go through being controlled by the team that drafts them, these college guys don't.  They can become UFAs, and pick their own organization, at 22.  Sure they are limited by contract rules for their salary, but they can pick the organization that they feel provides the best opportunity to get an NHL contract.  Boeser is a great player, and I hope we can sign him, but until we do get him signed he's pretty much a UFA.  IMHAO, of course.  

Your amateur opinion is based on mindless speculation. Give it a rest. You have no idea what these guys are going to do and I suspect that Demko is looking at the Canucks goaltending depth and raking them over the coals a bit, but again that's pure speculation. Your views on college free agency are well documented and I don't see the need for you to be saying the same sh!t over and over and over and over and...

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, canuckledraggin said:

Your amateur opinion is based on mindless speculation. Give it a rest. You have no idea what these guys are going to do and I suspect that Demko is looking at the Canucks goaltending depth and raking them over the coals a bit, but again that's pure speculation. Your views on college free agency are well documented and I don't see the need for you to be saying the same sh!t over and over and over and over and...

You are still cute. However my opinion on these rules for the college kids is pretty much fact.  They can become UFAs if they choose to.  I love Boeser, and would like him here ASAP. 

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

You are still cute. However my opinion on these rules for the college kids is pretty much fact.  They can become UFAs if they choose to.  I love Boeser, and would like him here ASAP. 

that's true. they do have that choice. I wonder though. how many of the players who have gone the NCAA route have chosen to be UFA's? 

24 minutes ago, Alflives said:

pretty much fact summarizes your knowledge of the situation. You're pretty much trolling.

I'm going to edit this post because I think what you are doing is different than trolling. You actually believe what you are saying and that is perfectly clear. A troll is someone who is just saying something to get a rise out of people, and while you are doing that, you are saying it because you honestly believe it.

In my mind what you are saying is patently stupid, moronic, idiotic, and a waste of time, but your opinion is valid, because you have an opinion.

Where you become a nuisance is when you repeat yourself to the same audience. We get it. You think Demko won't sign because there's another team that he covets. You don't need to say that in every thread you visit. There might be a need to coin a new term. Call it ALFing

Sorry for sidetracking the Boeser thread. I pumped my fist when we drafted him and I'm happy to see his development take a quantum leap this year.

Edited by canuckledraggin
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

I see.  Both look like great prospects.  ABSOLUTELY.  Boeser sure stepped up his game in the championship game. :wub: that in him.

I have to believe in Benning and his team that they will do everything in their power to sign Boeser and Demko. they ain't gonna let these kids walk for nothing. especially after the Canucks spent a pick on them to draft them into the NHL. 

20 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

that's true. they do have that choice. I wonder though. how many of the players who have gone the NCAA route have chosen to be UFA's? 

Hopefully, this stupid rule gets changed fast do it stops being an option for the kids.