The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brock Boeser | #6 | RW

thejazz97

21 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

i was wondering why you had to post it FOUR TIMES! :mellow::huh::lol:^_^ hehe 

But I agree with you. I think Benning's trying to undo what Gillis did (which was draft poorly...)

That's not entirely accurate. 

A prospect black hole is part of the price to be paid for 2 president's cups and a SCF appearance. We sold off a lot to get those (as most teams in that position do) and we also drafted late because we were good. It's not a recipe for a strong prospect pool.

Gillis certainly had some misses drafting as well but he also got us guys like Horvat, Gaunce etc... overall he was 'ok' (not great, not horrible) and got much better at drafting the longer he was around (and it was becoming clear we would need to re-tool). 

What we also failed to do well was develop players in that period. But again Gillis was the guy that got us the Comets which started to rectify that. The 11 cup run and the Utica Comets will be viewed as his positive legacy here given time.

12 minutes ago, J.R. said:

That's not entirely accurate. 

A prospect black hole is part of the price to be paid for 2 president's cups and a SCF appearance. We sold off a lot to get those (as most teams in that position do) and we also drafted late because we were good. It's not a recipe for a strong prospect pool.

Gillis certainly had some misses drafting as well but he also got us guys like Horvat, Gaunce etc... overall he was 'ok' (not great, not horrible) and got much better at drafting the longer he was around (and it was becoming clear we would need to re-tool). 

What we also failed to do well was develop players in that period. But again Gillis was the guy that got us the Comets which started to rectify that. The 11 cup run and the Utica Comets will be viewed as his positive legacy here given time.

A lot of teams win and manage to keep themselves from falling off the cliff.

The root of our problems today is the horrific drafting by Gillis. Good teams can throw picks for the right pieces and still manage to draft players in the later rounds to keep what is happening to us today, at bay.

Teams like Detroit and Chicago almost arrogantly throw high picks because they know how to draft so well. 

In hindsight, Burke/ Nonis built this core and Gillis killed it. 

4 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

A lot of teams win and manage to keep themselves from falling off the cliff.

The root of our problems today is the horrific drafting by Gillis. Good teams can throw picks for the right pieces and still manage to draft players in the later rounds to keep what is happening to us today, at bay.

Teams like Detroit and Chicago almost arrogantly throw high picks because they know how to draft so well. 

In hindsight, Burke/ Nonis built this core and Gillis killed it. 

Different paths.

Gillis took a mediocre team and sold futures to prop it up. 

Chicago tanked and drafted a a lot of very good players high (and got lucky).

You can't really compare the two as they're quite different.

Edited by J.R.

2 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Different paths.

Gillis took a mediocre team and sold futures to prop it up. 

Ya.  The Hawks have three Cups with their core, and we have ZERO.  

1 minute ago, J.R. said:

Different paths.

Gillis took a mediocre team and sold to prop it up. 

It still doesn't excuse the horrific drafting, it's not like Gillis gave all of his picks away in trades for core pieces.

His regime took a crap on the draft floor year after year. 

2 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

It still doesn't excuse the horrific drafting, it's not like Gillis gave all of his picks away in trades for core pieces.

You believe what you want to believe.

2 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

Maybe we should have GMMG for the day to day GM stuff, while Benning runs the draft and scouting?

2 minutes ago, J.R. said:

You believe what you want to believe.

Man, the guy was GM for 6 years and did not draft 1 top 6 forward or 1 top 4 Dman. You can't even be that bad on purpose.

Now we are stuck with his stupid contracts and nothing to replace them with. 

2 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

My phone went bat crap crazy that's why it posted so many times haha. And I also agree that it wasn't necessarily solely poor drafting but also trading futures for a cup contending team. Which no one complained about at the time.

Edited by WonderTwinPowers

5 minutes ago, LaBamba said:

Man, the guy was GM for 6 years and did not draft 1 top 6 forward or 1 top 4 Dman. You can't even be that bad on purpose.

Now we are stuck with his stupid contracts and nothing to replace them with. 

I'll concentrate on 1st rounders as anything beyond the mid 1st is largely a crap shoot.

Hodgson just about anyone would have picked at the time (2008).

Same with Schroeder (2009) who also happens to be a late 1st (AKA hit or miss). He largely was a victim of poor development IMO (no Utica). Though his size didn't help either.

2010 we didn't have a pick until the 4th (and still managed to find Friesen).

2011 we picked Jensen (29th, again late)

2012 Gaunce

2013 Horvat (top 6 player FWIW) and Shinkaruk

Otherwise, he also managed to find Connauton, Rodin, Corrado, Grenier, Hutton (top 4 D, no?) Cederholm, Subban and Cassels. A lot of those guys the jury's still out on but there IS some talent there.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Too much to read.  do you have a the abridged version for us smart@$$ types?:lol:  It's called an opposing opinion for a reason.

oh, i thought you could handle it...my bad i guess we're stuck with ur smart@$$ self forever