The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Lukas Jasek | RW

Jašek with the lone goal in a 4-1 loss today. He also had 3 shots, finished even, 3/9 on faceoffs, and played 14 minutes.

EDIT: you can see the goal at around 141:45 of this game video: http://hokej.cz/zapas/2524236/video

Jašek does some excellent work on this goal. He carries the puck on zone entry, battles his way along the boards, shields the puck and holds off the defender, forces his way to the faceoff circle, flips a pass to a teammate, and then goes to the net for the return pass. Quick release and no mistake as Jašek finishes off the play for his first goal this season.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Upvote 2

So Liberec got smoked 7-1 by Sparta Praha today. I haven't reviewed the game video but from the stats line, there appear to be some positives in Jašek's individual game, even though his team took a beating.

Played 18:13 TOI, which is a significant increase over his usual 14ish minutes. Finished with the 5th most shifts among Liberec's skaters (D&F). Appeared to be getting some extra minutes on the power play and being deployed at both wing and centre this game. Collected an assist on his team's only goal (scored on the power play). Had a team-high 5 shots on goal. Also credited for a hit.

On the negative side, albeit unsurprising in a very lopsided defeat, Jašek finished -2. Also went a disappointing 0-4 on faceoffs.

EDIT: Jašek is now up to 4 points (1G 3A) in 8 Extraliga games played.

• Upvote 1

Jašek having a pretty good game today. Scored a goal, 2 hits, 3 SOG, and 5/9 on faceoffs so far. Will update with final numbers when game finishes.

Here's the goal (on a 5-3 PP):

EDIT: Finished with 13:24 TOI, 1 goal, even, 2 hits, 3 SOG, 6/11 faceoffs.

Jašek now has 5 points (2G 3A) in 9 Extraliga games played.

• Upvote 1

Pretty encouraging numbers for Jašek so far this season. Worth remembering that he only just turned 20 and is playing in a league (Czech Extraliga) that, statistically speaking (based on NHLe), has a very similar level to the AHL. And he's posting solid numbers while only getting around 14 minutes a game.

If he was putting up 0.56 points/game on Utica's 3rd line, I'd imagine most people would be pretty excited.

Obviously there are limits to the accuracy and effectiveness of league equivalency translation factors (like NHLe). But that said, Jašek is still putting up solid numbers in an elite European professional league while playing against men.

And he still has a lot of room for development.

Definitely reasons for optimism here. And a prospect that we shouldn't forget about.

• Upvote 4

A few numbers on Jašek relative to his teammates:

-currently tied for the team lead in points (5), while playing the fewest minutes among the team scoring leaders

-he is the team leader in points per minute

-his 23 shots on goal are 4th among his teammates, with far fewer minutes than those ahead of him

-his shot rate (0.189 shots/minute) is 2nd on his team

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Pretty encouraging numbers for Jašek so far this season. Worth remembering that he only just turned 20 and is playing in a league (Czech Extraliga) that, statistically speaking (based on NHLe), has a very similar level to the AHL. And he's posting solid numbers while only getting around 14 minutes a game.

If he was putting up 0.56 points/game on Utica's 3rd line, I'd imagine most people would be pretty excited.

Obviously there are limits to the accuracy and effectiveness of league equivalency translation factors (like NHLe). But that said, Jašek is still putting up solid numbers in an elite European professional league while playing against men.

And he still has a lot of room for development.

Definitely reasons for optimism here. And a prospect that we shouldn't forget about.

Hahahaha bless you for doing your best not to let anyone forget about him, what with the constant updates :) much appreciated as always!

4 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

A few numbers on Jašek relative to his teammates:

-currently tied for the team lead in points (5), while playing the fewest minutes among the team scoring leaders

-he is the team leader in points per minute

-his 23 shots on goal are 4th among his teammates, with far fewer minutes than those ahead of him

-his shot rate (0.189 shots/minute) is 2nd on his team

Obviously it’s tough to get full coverage of the games, but why is it he’s getting substantially less ice time despite putting up excellent numbers? Does he have a problem with the coach? Poor 200 ft game? I don’t really understand what’s happening with that. 

17 minutes ago, ThaShady1 said:

Obviously it’s tough to get full coverage of the games, but why is it he’s getting substantially less ice time despite putting up excellent numbers? Does he have a problem with the coach? Poor 200 ft game? I don’t really understand what’s happening with that. 

He's a 20 year old in a league that traditionally favours veteran players (think Willie D on steroids). 

But to be fair to Liberec, they've shown a tonne more faith in Jašek than Trinec (his old team) ever did. He used to get around 7 minutes a game. Now he's getting 14 minutes and time on the PP (including when they have a 5-on-3).

But in the Czech league, for the most part, the older veterans get most of the prime ice. And the younger guys (other than phenom prospects) have to scratch out what they can from what's left.

Also, Jašek doesn't have a proven history of good production at the Extraliga level. If he keeps up his pace, that will change, and so will his icetime.

EDIT: As for your question about his 200 ft game, Jašek become a pretty dependable two-way player and actually brings a fair amount of feistiness to his game. His coaches seem to have no issues using him in checking roles and matchups.

• Upvote 3

Jašek playing this morning as Liberec takes on Kometa in Extraliga action.

Look like he's moved up to the second line according to the line chart for this game. Early TOI numbers confirm this as Jašek is among the team leaders in minutes and shifts so far.

EDIT: game over and Liberec gets thumped 7-2. Crazy game. 19 minor penalties (12 in the third alone) and 3 misconducts this game. Liberec had the lead and then things went sideways as they gave up 6 unanswered goals.

All the penalties have kinda broken the stats page on Hokej.cz and they're not currently listing full player stats. Will update for Jašek once available. But last I checked, he was pointless with 4 SOG and escaped this game only a -1.

EDIT: found the stats

Jašek: 17:57 TOI (26 shifts), 0 G, 0 A, -1, 0 PIM, 1 hit, 4 SOG, 3/4 faceoffs

• Upvote 1

Jašek has 5 points (tied for 2nd on team) in 10 Extraliga games played.

Some underlying stats (through 10 games):

2.14 points/60 (1st on team)

1.72 primary points/60 (1st on team)

50 GF% (4th on team)

12.44 shots/60 (2nd on team)

51.14 FO%

EDIT: stats are from hokej.cz

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, RetroCanuck said:

https://canucksarmy.com/2017/10/06/on-a-new-team-and-with-actual-opportunity-lukas-jasek-is-thriving/

Good article on Jasek. Its to bad he basically missed a year of hockey last year. Still has a chance of making it to the bigs though

Nice. Glad to see Canucks Army giving him some attention. 

Just to expand on the stats from the article:

After 10 games, Jašek has a 51.15 CF%, +3.85 CF% Rel, 5.14 iSC/60 (individual scoring chances per 60) 53.49 SCF%, +9.04 SCF% Rel

Pretty good numbers to go with the ones I cited earlier.

• Upvote 1

Jašek should be playing today in Liberec's Champions League contest versus Davos. Game starts 10:45am Vancouver time.

EDIT: Jašek starts on the 2nd line for this game (playing with Chrtek and Lakatoš).

Stream should be available here when we get closer to game time:

https://www.championshockeyleague.com/en/matches/7995e1e052984d10040af432#tab_event-stats=team-statistics&tab_event=lineups