The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Lukas Jasek | RW

16 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I'm good with "warehousing" these guys for two years in top Euro leagues. By 2019, they should both have enough of a body of work to make for some very easy contract decisions (whether they be yea or nay).

They don't count against our 50 contracts either, do they? 

I still like Jasek. He is an effective player in his own age group. A couple years to hone his skill and strength should be perfect before transitioning to North America. 

He kind of reminds me of Megna, but the good parts, skating, decent hands, back checks hard and so fourth.

• 1 month later...

Posted already in the Pettersson thread but Canucks Army has an article on the Champions League action:

https://canucksarmy.com/2017/08/24/champions-hockey-league-canucks-prospects-on-day-1/

Excerpt on Jašek:

Canucks prospect Lukas Jasek made the move to Liberac in the off season and appears to be already getting more ice time. The lack of ice time with HC Trinec was a huge concern last season, so ideally he gets a larger role with his new Czech team.

Today, he skated on the second line and saw regular powerplay time. He ended the game with 11:31 of ice time and was +1.

He didn’t make any impact plays but his skating and puck handling were apparent.

Also there's an embedded video posted by Jeremy Davis in the comments section that lets you watch the whole game.

Jašek's best chance comes on a shift that starts around 1:17:20 into the video. Comes on late in a PK and helps create a 2-on-1 (doesn't score unfortunately).

9 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Posted already in the Pettersson thread but Canucks Army has an article on the Champions League action:

https://canucksarmy.com/2017/08/24/champions-hockey-league-canucks-prospects-on-day-1/

Excerpt on Jašek:

Also there's an embedded video posted by Jeremy Davis in the comments section that lets you watch the whole game.

Jašek's best chance comes on a shift that starts around 1:17:20 into the video. Comes on late in a PK and helps create a 2-on-1 (doesn't score unfortunately).

He looks to have a bit of those Hansen hands of stone in this game. Not quite ready to receieve the puck.

9 hours ago, Derp... said:

He looks to have a bit of those Hansen hands of stone in this game. Not quite ready to receieve the puck.

Hansen has decent hands now....but it took him until last year to get to "decent"....he improved bit by bit for at least 6-7 years....I hope Jasek works hard on that issue and gets' to "decent" in 2-3 years, he has many of Hansen's other qualities.

1 hour ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Hansen has decent hands now....but it took him until last year to get to "decent"....he improved bit by bit for at least 6-7 years....I hope Jasek works hard on that issue and gets' to "decent" in 2-3 years, he has many of Hansen's other qualities.

I think Jašek's skills are pretty good. He just needs to take his natural ability to the next level. Part of this will be maturing and continuing to add strength. And also striking the right balance between "thinking" offense and playing sound defense (and his checking game has grown significantly the past few years).

I wouldn't count one flubbed chance against him and put the "hands of stone" label on him. Not that @Derp... was doing that.

I do find the Hansen comparison interesting though. I think Jašek's skating and puck handling, combined with with improved defense, does give him the potential to develop into a Hansen type of player (at least the pre-Sedin winger version of Hansen). As I said, Jašek will need to add strength and also some bite to his game (actually saw some signs of this late last season), but many of the raw tools are there.

Obviously he's still a long shot prospect. But he might have the potential to be a speedy, two-way, third liner type, if the he can continue to progress over the next year or two.

Continuing to see 2nd line opportunities at the Extraliga level should help him. He just needs to prove he can produce offense when given the chance. I'm still optimistic he will. 

• Upvote 3

On 2017-08-26 at 8:48 AM, Derp... said:

2 Assists for Jasek today against Cardiff. 1 primary one secondary, on the game tying and winning goals. Maybe his first game was just a bit of rust :)

Good stat line for Jašek this game:

2 assists, +2, 0 PIM, 6 shot attempts, 3 SOG, 2 shotblocks, 13:50 TOI

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Video of Jašek's primary assist today:

Brings Jašek to 3 points in 3 GP (same as Pettersson so far). And puts Jašek at 2nd on his team in Champions League scoring.

Good job by the ref to get out of the way...also good job by Jasek not to panic and lose the puck in the refs skates...

Strange game today, at least going off the updates and stats. Looks like Jašek played 3C at even strength (was 4/9 on faceoffs) and was getting good opportunities early. Shifted to wing for PP time (where he got his 1A). Had 3 shots total for this game (tied for team lead).

That all sounds pretty good.

But finished the game bottom-3 in shifts and TOI (only played around 10:40).

Wondering why he wasn't getting more minutes? He just came off 3 points in 4 Champions League games (which put him among Liberec's scoring leaders). And today he got the primary assist on the GWG. 

Seems like he was actually playing well but maybe the coach shortened the bench and went with his vets to defend the lead?

Would definitely like to see him getting a lot more than 10 minutes a game.

Don't mind him switching between wing and centre. Makes him more versatile. Just would like to see more minutes, whatever the position. 

Obviously lots of season left with it only being opening night of Extraliga. So hopefully Jašek continues to produce offense, regardless of minutes, and gradually climbs the ladder in TOI/G.

Yeah, kinda the same story as previous years, where he was playing well but not getting time compared to vets. It's one thing to bring him along slowly, but to not give him more than 10 minutes when he's being impactful on the results is strange.

In keeping with today's prospects theme, Jašek had a pretty forgettable game this morning.

Zeros pretty much across the board in a loss to Litvínov in Extraliga action. Only stats worth mentioning were a minor penalty (holding) and 6/14 faceoffs (and the whole team was struggling at the dot). Played around 10 minutes again, centering the 3rd line.

To be fair, Liberec got shutout 2-0, so none of Jašek's teammates were having great boxcars today.

On to the next one, I guess. 

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME