The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Article) Mike Burnstein fired!

jono2009

Just a horrible development IMO

I can understand trading veteran players. But what was Burnie doing that was affecting the team's play negatively?

He's been there since Linden was a player. No idea how Linden decided to let him go. This will affect morale on the team.

Very sad. Best wishes to Mike Burnstein. congrats to him on a great career here in Van

Don't know why you're jumping to this assumption. Turnover happens in a business and they have a new guy to do the job, that's life.

Nobody did. If anyone did, you'd still be in Calgary.

Wait what? Wise Bod is the one who banged on the table for Johnny Hockey. Can't be all that bad. Plus he has been an executive in the NBA and knows how to work around a salary cap that is much more complicated than the NHL one.

Can't be much worse than this guy...

delorme.jpg

8 Pages of commentary for a relieving trainer? Seriously? This team peaked 5 years ago and housecleaning of players previously deemed untouchable or essential to prior success has been in full swing for three seasons (Luongo, Schneider, Salo, Kesler, Bieksa, Lack, etc) plus the overhaul in management this week but this is worth eight pages of comments?!?

20 years ago Pavel Bure's knee injury was mismanaged by the Canucks training staff and it cost him half his career. Just saying...

lol you're right , never seen such over reaction , everyones still all upset about there favs eddy ,bieksa and kassian getting traded (28 year old unproven backup , past his prime vet who's weakness's were truely revealed in the playoffs , and an under acheiving power forward who wants to play a "skilled" game )

if none of those happened not too many people would care about this

our fan base just gets too attached to players and over values them

example: hodgson

Celebrini is world renowned so to get him full time is a real coup for the organization. But firing a 20-year employee like Burnstein leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Use mouthwash and carry on. Sometimes pruning of healthy grown is best for new growth.

I bet if you took another former NHL player with business experience and made him the President of Hockey Operations, people would at least be a bit skeptical of this person's ability to run an NHL team, but because he happens to be Trevor Linden, well that has to be a good move because everyone loves him.

Just reminds me how much of a business this sport is, and it's all about image and marketing.

Whoa!

Post season doom and gloom in here.

They've pretty much gutted most the staff... why not trainer too, so the vets can work with someone different.

I'm sure MB will find new work pretty fast.

Aside from core player changes, staff changes like such could be what's needed to properly shake things up.

lol you're right , never seen such over reaction , everyones still all upset about there favs eddy ,bieksa and kassian getting traded (28 year old unproven backup , past his prime vet who's weakness's were truely revealed in the playoffs , and an under acheiving power forward who wants to play a "skilled" game )

if none of those happened not too many people would care about this

our fan base just gets too attached to players and over values them

example: hodgson

An easy thing to say in retrospect.

The Coho fiasco could have gone differently. Kid had some pretty bad back problems to start his NHL career/

People want a player on that team with some firey passion... it's why everyone went nuts when Kassian was lighting the lamp.

This city needs a hero fast!

What bloody arrogance.

Nice to see Linden has loyalty to the organization.....this would be almost like the Oilers firing Joey Moss.

Canucks will be the laughingstock of the NHL the next 10 years.....Oilers style. Book it.

I will kind of enjoy it....the camera panning over to the stonefaced visage of Benning and Linden when the other Pacific teams bend this team over.

Wasn't Edmonton's problem that it wouldn't let go of staff? And they kept spinning their wheels?

I bet if you took another former NHL player with business experience and made him the President of Hockey Operations, people would at least be a bit skeptical of this person's ability to run an NHL team, but because he happens to be Trevor Linden, well that has to be a good move because everyone loves him.

Just reminds me how much of a business this sport is, and it's all about image and marketing.

How much experience did Gillis have when the Canucks hired him?

People have complained on here for years that this organization had become too "country club".

Now they actually shake things up and there are still people complaining?

To me this shows that no ones job is safe and they're finally willing to analyze every aspect of the organization from top to bottom. Clearly they had their reasons for letting Burnstein go whatever they were. I doubt they just fire a guy who has been here that long for no reason.

Archived