The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Good samaritans (armed and otherwise) in the US defending themselves from criminals

Mr. Ambien

What a nice victim. :lol:

Three teens have been arrested in connection to a robbery that left the fourth suspect dead Friday night.

Two of the suspects are from St. Paul, and the third is from an unspecified eastern suburb.

According to police, the four teens tried to rob two adults near Summit Avenue and Mississippi River Boulevard at 10:30 p.m. Friday.

Police say one of the suspects was wearing a mask and gloves and took out a handgun during the robbery. One of the victims, who has a valid permit to carry, also took out a gun and shot the suspect.

The victim then called police and rendered first aid while the three suspects fled. Police say the two victims are “fully cooperating” with them.

The suspect who was shot was pronounced dead at the scene. He was identified as 16-year-old Lavauntai Broadbent of West St. Paul.

Anyone who has been a victim of a similar robbery by suspects wearing masks and gloves is asked to call St. Paul police at

http://kstp.com/article/stories/s3869059.shtml

Liquor store employee shoots would-be robber

BALTIMORE - A southwest Baltimore liquor store employee shot a woman who was trying to rob the business Saturday night.

Police said officers were called to Starlight Liquor Store at 2201 Wilkens Avenue around 11:30 p.m. for a shooting.

When officers arrived, they found a 19-year-old woman who had been shot multiple times. She was taken to an area hospital in critical condition.

A preliminary investigation found the woman came into the store with another person, brandished a gun and announced a robbery. A store employee pulled out a handgun and shot the woman several times. The other suspect fled the scene.

http://www.abc2news.com/news/crime-checker/baltimore-city-crime/liquor-store-employee-shoots-would-be-robber

Awesome employee standing up for themselves not to be a victim. Need more of this.

http://www.abc2news.com/news/crime-checker/baltimore-city-crime/liquor-store-employee-shoots-would-be-robber

Awesome employee standing up for themselves not to be a victim. Need more of this.

Really! How about employee gives girl money? Police catch girl, and she goes to prison. Would you condon guns on plane So? We do need to protect ourselves.

Really! How about employee gives girl money? Police catch girl, and she goes to prison. Would you condon guns on plane So? We do need to protect ourselves.

This is my point with him--it's always, regardless of the threat, shoot first. Killing people clearly means little to him, it's screwed up.

This is my point with him--it's always, regardless of the threat, shoot first. Killing people clearly means little to him, it's screwed up.

I understand the feeling of wanting to defend one self, especially if the crime is against the person. However, if the offence is against property, then the thought of escalating the situation, where personal harm could occur, makes zero sense to me.

I understand the feeling of wanting to defend one self, especially if the crime is against the person. However, if the offence is against property, then the thought of escalating the situation, where personal harm could occur, makes zero sense to me.

You're misunderstanding what constitutes a crime against property. Robbery means that the use of force/violence or the threat of force/violence against the PERSON in which the property is being seized. If you're being robbed and have no means to defend yourself with equal force then you are at the mercy of the robber. If he decides to shoot you, you get shot. If you can use equal force against him to prevent that, by all means use whatever is necessary at your disposal. It is perfectly understandable to not take the chance in getting shot after the robber gets what he (she in this case) wants as that does happen.

How about employee gives money and robber shoots in the face anyways. Happy ending for you?

If a robber does this, they would be a sociopath. IMO that type of person will be "hunting", and not robbing.

The bottom line is the clerk would be dead. There is no guarantee the robber wouldn't shoot the clerk and this type of violent incident is all too common in the US. So when a robber goes to rob a clerk just about no one in the US feels bad about the poor robber getting shot. Perhaps people on CDC might turn it into a situation where they nitpick what the clerk should do but no one down south (and myself) cares about that. Dead robber had it coming.

The bottom line is the clerk would be dead. There is no guarantee the robber wouldn't shoot the clerk and this type of violent incident is all too common in the US. So when a robber goes to rob a clerk just about no one in the US feels bad about the poor robber getting shot. Perhaps people on CDC might turn it into a situation where they nitpick what the clerk should do but no one down south (and myself) cares about that. Dead robber had it coming.

Your total disregard for life is something...

I have no feelings one way or the other. My point is a simple one: drawing a weapon will surely escalate the chance for horrible consequences. Whereas, handing over the money is far less likely to result in escalation. I wonder. Do you feel we would be safer if we were all armed, just on the off chance a robber might try to steal from us? Do you not see the chaos that would create?

I have no feelings one way or the other. My point is a simple one: drawing a weapon will surely escalate the chance for horrible consequences. Whereas, handing over the money is far less likely to result in escalation. I wonder. Do you feel we would be safer if we were all armed, just on the off chance a robber might try to steal from us? Do you not see the chaos that would create?

Horrible consequences are already facing the store clerk, regardless of whether they hand over the money or not. At this point it's a matter of them being able to or not able to defend themselves. It's left up to the individual to determine which path they wish to take. Without a doubt, if a window opened, I'd blast the SOB. I have a family and I wouldn't leave it to a robber's conscience in the United States not to shoot me. Others can feel free to cross their fingers and pray to whatever deity they have for the mercy of someone else. The crux of the problem obviously lies on anyone who wishes to prevent the store clerk from making that decision for themselves.

Horrible consequences are already facing the store clerk, regardless of whether they hand over the money or not. At this point it's a matter of them being able to or not able to defend themselves. It's left up to the individual to determine which path they wish to take. Without a doubt, if a window opened, I'd blast the SOB. I have a family and I wouldn't leave it to a robber's conscience in the United States not to shoot me. Others can feel free to cross their fingers and pray to whatever deity they have for the mercy of someone else.

I wonder, statistically, not that I think this stat exists, but how many times a robber threatens but does not shoot vs the number of times a robber threatens, is threatened back and then shoots the victim.

Horrible consequences are already facing the store clerk, regardless of whether they hand over the money or not. At this point it's a matter of them being able to or not able to defend themselves. It's left up to the individual to determine which path they wish to take. Without a doubt, if a window opened, I'd blast the SOB. I have a family and I wouldn't leave it to a robber's conscience in the United States not to shoot me. Others can feel free to cross their fingers and pray to whatever deity they have for the mercy of someone else. The crux of the problem obviously lies on anyone who wishes to prevent the store clerk from making that decision for themselves.

Your point is well taken, and I don't disagree that we have the right to defend ourselves, and families. However, if we are all armed, and on guard, does that make society more safe? If the store clerk has the right to have a gun, why should all not have an equal right to carry a gun? Where does this right to carry a gun end? Where do we draw the line - so to speak? I am glad the store clerk is Safe, and able to be home with his family. However, if guns proliferated society, do you not think that a great many more shootings would occur, where innocent lives are tragically affected?

Your point is well taken, and I don't disagree that we have the right to defend ourselves, and families. However, if we are all armed, and on guard, does that make society more safe? If the store clerk has the right to have a gun, why should all not have an equal right to carry a gun? Where does this right to carry a gun end? Where do we draw the line - so to speak? I am glad the store clerk is Safe, and able to be home with his family. However, if guns proliferated society, do you not think that a great many more shootings would occur, where innocent lives are tragically affected?

Criticism levied at the person defending themselves for a pretty obvious reason, rather than consider why they need to (successfully) defend themselves?

Red flag.

Criticism levied at the person defending themselves for a pretty obvious reason, rather than consider why they need to (successfully) defend themselves?

Red flag.

Interesting that you feel the store clerk is being criticized. I don't see things that way. The clerk had a gun, and used it. The crook had a gun, but was shot before using it. That appears straight forward. The problem, or as you say - red flag, is the concept that we all have the right to bear arms. That, IMO, would lead to chaos. If you feel the streets would be safer with everyone packing guns, that's your opinion. Mine differs.

Interesting that you feel the store clerk is being criticized. I don't see things that way. The clerk had a gun, and used it. The crook had a gun, but was shot before using it. That appears straight forward. The problem, or as you say - red flag, is the concept that we all have the right to bear arms. That, IMO, would lead to chaos. If you feel the streets would be safer with everyone packing guns, that's your opinion. Mine differs.

So you'd rather just criminals be packing then.. ok.

Because they're packing anyways regardless of any laws that say they shouldn't be.

So the only people you're into disarming, and see chaos in arming, is people defending themselves.

There are plenty of jurisdictions with non-licensed conceal and open carry, yet this wild west chaos you talk about never materializes. Why is that? Shouldn't everyone just be shooting each other left and right with all these guns?

So you'd rather just criminals be packing then.. ok.

Because they're packing anyways regardless of any laws that say they shouldn't be.

So the only people you're into disarming, and see chaos in arming, is people defending themselves.

There are plenty of jurisdictions with non-licensed conceal and open carry, yet this wild west chaos you talk about never materializes. Why is that? Shouldn't everyone just be shooting each other left and right with all these guns?

That is an overly simplistic view of the matter imo. If everybody had a gun, and the criminals knew it, why would they not just shoot their victim before they had a chance to use it? In any situation the criminal has the advantage as they are the only ones who know their intentions. Unless of course you walk around with your gun pointed at everyone you meet. After reading though this steaming pile of garbage of a thread, I'm not sure you would be opposed to that scenario.

Archived