The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Raffi Torres hit on Siflverberg

Nooks

WOAAHHH! 41 games!?

No mercy this time eh. What a moron. After working so hard to get back on the ice.

Well done NHL

good on them ya for getting a repeat offender while they will give a simple slap on the wrist for 1st time offenders the system is a joke

yes he should of gotten a high number of games but it just proves how wrong the system still is were going to see way worse hits this season get less games because of that fact in my first sentence

that's really the only reason he got 41 games his history which proves how wrong the system is

yes his history should come into play but not at the expense of giving worse hits less games because it was a 1st time offender

But how many times do you let crap slide before enough is enough?

Raffi has to take responsibility he's veen a reckless player for about a decade now. If he hasn't gotten it now I have no sympathy for him.

I think the system is exactly right. Someone who is a repeat offender deserves more punishment because they're not learning to change their game. This is common in our court system as well. First time assaults often end in probation, but someone with a history of assaults is going to have their punishment escalated until it is reaching the max.

When someone makes a really bad hit but they have no history and it was accidental, why should they be getting more punishment than someone who is consistently injuring players without changing their style?

because they need to crack down on every single player not just a handful of players that they keep suspending

you get way worse hits from 1st time offenders they get a slap on the wrist they sometimes end guys career's but because they are a 1st time offender they only get a game or two

i am not saying players with history shouldn't get more games but i am saying 1st time offenders need to get stiffer suspensions and that is what is so broken about this system it changes nothing the players know if it's their 1st offense they can get away with it some only get a fine or just 1 single game that doesn't deter any player from doing the exact same thing again

suspensions should start at 5 games on everything imo and then go up from there

But how many times do you let crap slide before enough is enough?

Raffi has to take responsibility he's veen a reckless player for about a decade now. If he hasn't gotten it now I have no sympathy for him.

he deserves it yes but it does nothing to change the league absolutely nothing

I get giving him a clear message as he's a past offender, but still, this hit alone was NOT to the head nor interference, Silfverberg was hit while carrying the puck and Torres caught him square in the shoulder. Clipped his VISOR on the follow through, no way Silfverberg is concussed. Past offender or not, and this hit alone or not (even if it was to the head because it wasn't), 41 games is ridiculous. Terrible call by the NHL IMO, we've seen 2 to maybe 15 game suspensions the past two years, and fines. But 41 games, come on, come back the right way Raffi! I love your game but do try to be a bit less savage, I miss him as a Canuck.

I think the system is exactly right. Someone who is a repeat offender deserves more punishment because they're not learning to change their game. This is common in our court system as well. First time assaults often end in probation, but someone with a history of assaults is going to have their punishment escalated until it is reaching the max.

When someone makes a really bad hit but they have no history and it was accidental, why should they be getting more punishment than someone who is consistently injuring players without changing their style?

Who knows...maybe the Justice System of BC will get the NHL message that repeat offenders need to have the book thrown at them!

because they need to crack down on every single player not just a handful of players that they keep suspending

you get way worse hits from 1st time offenders they get a slap on the wrist they sometimes end guys career's but because they are a 1st time offender they only get a game or two

i am not saying players with history shouldn't get more games but i am saying 1st time offenders need to get stiffer suspensions and that is what is so broken about this system it changes nothing the players know if it's their 1st offense they can get away with it some only get a fine or just 1 single game that doesn't deter any player from doing the exact same thing again

suspensions should start at 5 games on everything imo and then go up from there

I'm not going to call the system perfect, but when you consider how fast the game is played sometimes honest and clean players make mistakes that lead to very bad injuries and very ugly hits. Why would we throw the book at someone who did not intend to make a dirty hit and has no history of making dirty hits? You punish the person for not being careful enough and they learn from their mistake and move on.

It is repeat offenders that are the real evil in the league. Torres has head hunted more than 5 different players and caused significant injury - he is someone that needs to be kept off the ice.

I would much rather have someone heavily punished if they are consistently causing mild injuries due to a reckless playstyle than someone who misplayed a single situation and has not shown they are prone to do it again.

Archived