The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Flames looking to make a deal, called about Stamkos

Imagine if Yzerman and Stamkos agreed that Stamkos would pull a Vermette. 

Stammer to the leafs for Monahan, 1st and Russel? only to deny all their extensions and re-sign with tampa as a UFA. 

Would screw the flames over and Tampa wout be stacked AF the next year. Can you imagine? 

Win-Win in my books lol 

Imagine if Yzerman and Stamkos agreed that Stamkos would pull a Vermette. 

Stammer to the leafs for Monahan, 1st and Russel? only to deny all their extensions and re-sign with tampa as a UFA. 

Would screw the flames over and Tampa wout be stacked AF the next year. Can you imagine? 

Win-Win in my books lol 

While I this scenario would be hilarious, I think it's more likely that the team trading for Stamkos would be allowed to negotiate an extension with Stamkos as part of the deal - kinda like what Calgary did with Hamilton. There's no way that any team is going to give up a huge (but fair) package to get Stamkos without some agreement in place.

Stamkos is going nowhere.

Whoever decides to trade for him would have to make it so he's guaranteed to re-sign as well, or else they'd be giving up a ton for a rental.

Yzerman has already said to give Stamkos whatever he wants.

On top of that, people are saying that the triplet line of Kucherov-Johnson-Palat need to be re-signed soon, but is that worth Stamkos? No. Losing one or two of those to re-sign Stamkos is a given. They would likely trade for assets if they needed to anyways. Even more so, those aren't the only expiring contracts. Guys like Filppula, Coburn, etc free up cap as well.

People I've seen coming up with this rumour are acting like re-signing Stamkos requires $10M, when it doesn't. He already makes like $7M, so it only takes another $3M.

If I was Yzerman, I would want Monahan and Bennett, who are good players, maybe great down the road.

Stamkos is a top 5 player in the league, and will be for most likely 3 + more years.

Calgary will have to pay a premium price for him, plain and simple. This deal will never happen, Treliving is dreaming.

Archived