The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Congratulations to Daniel Sedin as he enters the Top 100 scorers in NHL history

Putgolzin

2 hours ago, ABNuck said:

1851 points combined with brother Hank...all for Vancouver!

They have a ways to go before they're the highest scoring brother tandem of all time...but at the rate they're going they could have that title too in about 6 years.

So quiz...without looking it up, who's the highest scoring brother tandem in NHL history? (this one will blow your mind)

1851 points, the exact total when Gretzky broke Gordie's record in 91 or whenever.

2 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Hey man, points for even remembering Sylvain Turgeon.

Guy was a pretty good player but completely forgotten, along with the Troy Murrays and Murray Cravens of the world.

Similar situation to the Gretzkys I suppose...Pierre carried most of the load and Sylvain chipped in a few when he could.

12 hours ago, nzan said:

With Daniel Sedin's assist this evening he has tied Gary Roberts with 910 career regular season points which places him as the 100th highest point scorer in NHL history.

With bother Henrik entering this echelon earlier this year, they become only the second set of brothers to both appear on this esteemed list - second only to the great Maurice Rocket and Henri Pocket Rocket Richard.

Congatulations gentlemen, we are honoured to be your fans.

Daniel looks better than he has in years. He dropped off a bit after Duncan Keith's cheap shot, nice to see him back to the form that saw him win the Art Ross and Ted Lindsay awards. Keep it up Danny!

5 minutes ago, Patchoball Cannons said:

Where are the Stastny brothers on that list?

Anton (636) + Peter (1239) = 1875.  Not too shabby but both Marian and Anton ended their careers surprisingly early while pretty much a point a game for their career.  Had they joined the NHL at 18 rather than spending their first 6 years or so behind the iron curtain, who knows what they would have achieved.  Peter would almost certainly be up around Ron Francis and Steve Yzerman on the all-time scoring list.  Maybe even higher.  He was one of the best players I ever saw.

2 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Anton (636) + Peter (1239) = 1875.  Not too shabby but both Marian and Anton ended their careers surprisingly early while pretty much a point a game for their career.  Had they joined the NHL at 18 rather than spending their first 6 years or so behind the iron curtain, who knows what they would have achieved.  Peter would almost certainly be up around Ron Francis and Steve Yzerman on the all-time scoring list.  Maybe even higher.  He was one of the best players I ever saw.

He was a great player and a fun one to watch for sure. Malkin reminds me most of Petr Stastny of any player playing today for all those who didn't get to see him and Michel Goulet work their magic.

10 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

First ballot Hall of Famers, if anyone actually cares about first ballot vs eventual inductee, should be players like Steve Yzerman, Joe Sakic, Ron Francis, Ken Dryden, Tony Esposito, Chris Chelios, Marcel Dionne and Guy Lafleur...

Players who should have the waiting period waived entirely are players like Paul Coffey, Phil Esposito, Patrick Roy, Martin Brodeur, Ray Bourque, Gordie Howe, Bobby Orr, and obviously Gretzky and Lemieux.

The Sedins are players who SHOULD get in, but I don't see why there would be any hurry.  Their career numbers will be impressive but not out of the ordinary for potential Hall of Famers.  In fact, their career numbers will be very ordinary for a modern HOF forward.

They will each have one Art Ross trophy and league MVP, and presumably no Stanley Cups.  They won't be out of place in the Hall of Fame, but their contemporaries include Jagr, Recchi (who isn't rushed in with 1500 points and three cups), Iginla, Thornton (more career points and one MVP as well), Ovechkin, Crosby, Martin St. Louis, Malkin, Getzlaf, Perry, Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Kane, Toews, Hossa, Selanne, Alfredsson...and that's just the forwards, no defensemen or goalies listed there.

Keep in mind that guys like Mogilny and Fleury, Pierre Turgeon and Bernie Nicholls have been on the outside looking in, with no invitation coming anytime soon.

The Sedins aren't slam dunks.

Umm, no.  Jagr is in the 'waived entirely' category.  When he's done, he'll likely be 2nd in all time scoring behind only Gretzky.

Let's face it.  Jagr is currently a Legend on ice.

2 minutes ago, crazycry said:

And yet people bash them as "sisters"...not very often to have both brothers to be in the top 100....<_<

I remember talking with someone from Calgary referring to them as the Sedins sisters. Then he proceeded to praise Bouwmeester. He then wondered why I was laughing....

6 hours ago, HKSR said:

Umm, no.  Jagr is in the 'waived entirely' category.  When he's done, he'll likely be 2nd in all time scoring behind only Gretzky.

Let's face it.  Jagr is currently a Legend on ice.

Reading comprehension?

I said Jagr was their contemporary, not their equal.

That said, I don't necessarily disagree with you.  I wouldn't complain if they waived the waiting period for Jagr.  But it's also not necessary.  He's a borderline case, for something like that.

But hey, who knows what they'll do.  They didn't even wait for Chris Pronger to be retired before inducting him, so...

Archived