The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(proposal) VAN-WPG

I know Byfuglien is a free agent this summer but should we make a move to get him now? Maybe he will like the team atmosphere and adjust to living in vancouver which will help our odds of resigning him next year. Idk the cap situation but im going to make a proposal that seems fair value wise. Feel free to make some trades that make sense if you wish :)

To Van:

Byfuglien

To Wpg:

Sbisa

Gaunce

4th

I like sbisa, i really do. He seems to be coming along quite well. But its byfuglien lol. Does this trade make sense? Id rather it be weber but that deffiently wouldnt catch the jets eye. Maybe weber, vey, gaunce, and a 4th?

Let me know what yas all think!

I deffiently wouldnt because hutton could turn out to be the #1 dman were looking for. But if the jets offered him straight up for hutton would you do it? If byfuglien extends with us that is lol

What players do you think we should give up that the jets may take for him?

Deal makes sense for neither / either side.

Gawd, why would we?

Monty; when is Winnipeg going to put up and make a move? They should re-sign Buff not trade him for futures to elevate the team before Wheeler, Ladd & little are no longer relevant IMO. 

4 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Deal makes sense for neither / either side.

Gawd, why would we?

Monty; when is Winnipeg going to put up and make a move? They should re-sign Buff not trade him for futures to elevate the team before Wheeler, Ladd & little are no longer relevant IMO. 

The Buff situation is a really tough one here, as is the Ladd situation, and it's been a topic of discussion for the last year. "Should the team extend Ladd, Buff, both, or neither?" And honestly, I have flip-flopped on the topic, as has everyone in Winnipeg.

The thing that worries fans and media in Winnipeg about backing up the Brinks truck for Byfuglien is his past issues with conditioning. While he seems to have corrected this over the last 2 seasons, there is still something to be said for not taking your conditioning seriously as a professional athlete until your late 20s. Surely that has to have an effect on your long term success as a professional athlete. However, Buff is only 30 years old, 2 years younger than Duncan Keith, who nobody is saying is over the hill. As a defenseman, 30 is far from being an ineffective contributor. Seeing as though nobody can punish Buff physically, he will still be effective at 35-36. However, like I said, the conditioning issues with Buff are now in the past, as he has been great for the last several seasons. More importantly, the guy is playing the best two-way hockey of his career this year. Finding a good balance offensively and defensively.

The argument for trading Buff over Ladd (if it is an either/or) is that Buff will garner a much, much bigger return. When the guy is on, he's a game changer. However, that's one of the reasons why, if it were up to me and you can only keep one, you keep Buff. Whenever the puck is on his stick, people at the MTS Center hold their breath in excitement. If you look at 10 people wearing Jets jerseys, 8 of them will be wearing a Buff jersey, 1 will be wearing Ladd, and 1 will have Kane's jersey with white tape covering his name and number. The guy sells everywhere he goes. So while he would certainly get a lot of assets back in return, he makes that team far too much money to not re-sign.

However, Chevy is no idiot, and neither is Mark Chipman. They know where the dollar is and how that will effect the team 2,3,4 years down the line. So while re-signing Buff should be priority #1, they know that:

a.) They need a bonafide #1 goalie to make them competitive; and

b.) Are therefore quite a few years away from competing with this current lineup.

Because of this, trading those guys is really the best option for the long term viability of the franchise.

3 hours ago, Monty said:

The Buff situation is a really tough one here, as is the Ladd situation, and it's been a topic of discussion for the last year. "Should the team extend Ladd, Buff, both, or neither?" And honestly, I have flip-flopped on the topic, as has everyone in Winnipeg.

The thing that worries fans and media in Winnipeg about backing up the Brinks truck for Byfuglien is his past issues with conditioning. While he seems to have corrected this over the last 2 seasons, there is still something to be said for not taking your conditioning seriously as a professional athlete until your late 20s. Surely that has to have an effect on your long term success as a professional athlete. However, Buff is only 30 years old, 2 years younger than Duncan Keith, who nobody is saying is over the hill. As a defenseman, 30 is far from being an ineffective contributor. Seeing as though nobody can punish Buff physically, he will still be effective at 35-36. However, like I said, the conditioning issues with Buff are now in the past, as he has been great for the last several seasons. More importantly, the guy is playing the best two-way hockey of his career this year. Finding a good balance offensively and defensively.

The argument for trading Buff over Ladd (if it is an either/or) is that Buff will garner a much, much bigger return. When the guy is on, he's a game changer. However, that's one of the reasons why, if it were up to me and you can only keep one, you keep Buff. Whenever the puck is on his stick, people at the MTS Center hold their breath in excitement. If you look at 10 people wearing Jets jerseys, 8 of them will be wearing a Buff jersey, 1 will be wearing Ladd, and 1 will have Kane's jersey with white tape covering his name and number. The guy sells everywhere he goes. So while he would certainly get a lot of assets back in return, he makes that team far too much money to not re-sign.

However, Chevy is no idiot, and neither is Mark Chipman. They know where the dollar is and how that will effect the team 2,3,4 years down the line. So while re-signing Buff should be priority #1, they know that:

a.) They need a bonafide #1 goalie to make them competitive; and

b.) Are therefore quite a few years away from competing with this current lineup.

Because of this, trading those guys is really the best option for the long term viability of the franchise.

I appreciate the response & its well laid out.  Thanx Monty.

Peg needs to re-sign Trouba & Scheifele to richer contracts. Plus Hutch & Lowry less notably among RFA's. You have $11 mill in cap space. And could always go the route of unloading Pav. Who's expiring contract next year pays the next wave of RFA contracts. To me if even one of Trouba (choice) or Scheifele can be bridged there is enough money to sign both Buff and Ladd.

IMO for Winnipeg there is only two ways to go. As much as Chevy has been ultra conservative its time to make a mark.

To me that means giving the team & its fans an emotional boost. Personally, the Jets with Ladd and Buff (even without) are already a physically imposing line up capable of imposing its self onto any team. The right side of your D is awesome, left needs some polish but capable. Yup, goaltending is a question. To elevate they possibly need an injection of speed and goals up front. That can come from within a deep well of prospects over time or cash some of that via trade for immediate help. But Winnipeg almost got through last year. Now seems a bit fatigued? Chevy could inject that confidence by getting Buff and Ladd on board, then get some added life at the deadline!!!

^ The team will also will only get better as Morrisey, Petan, Comrie etc start to arrive. Scheifele & Ehlers keep on growing. The team needs a tweak, not to be torn apart.

Or you can start tearing down a team that is close. I hate that idea. Wait for another 3 years for all the kids to get close enough to their primes to be the leaders Little, Wheeler and Ladd are now?

Those three all put their souls into being players who carved out careers that were not expected of them. And now even Buff has joined them. Write Buff and Ladd a cheque and tell them to go out and win you a couple of rounds!

44 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

I appreciate the response & its well laid out.  Thanx Monty.

Peg needs to re-sign Trouba & Scheifele to richer contracts. Plus Hutch & Lowry less notably among RFA's. You have $11 mill in cap space. And could always go the route of unloading Pav. Who's expiring contract next year pays the next wave of RFA contracts. To me if even one of Trouba (choice) or Scheifele can be bridged there is enough money to sign both Buff and Ladd.

IMO for Winnipeg there is only two ways to go. As much as Chevy has been ultra conservative its time to make a mark.

To me that means giving the team & its fans an emotional boost. Personally, the Jets with Ladd and Buff (even without) are already a physically imposing line up capable of imposing its self onto any team. The right side of your D is awesome, left needs some polish but capable. Yup, goaltending is a question. To elevate they possibly need an injection of speed and goals up front. That can come from within a deep well of prospects over time or cash some of that via trade for immediate help. But Winnipeg almost got through last year. Now seems a bit fatigued? Chevy could inject that confidence by getting Buff and Ladd on board, then get some added life at the deadline!!!

^ The team will also will only get better as Morrisey, Petan, Comrie etc start to arrive. Scheifele & Ehlers keep on growing. The team needs a tweak, not to be torn apart.

Or you can start tearing down a team that is close. I hate that idea. Wait for another 3 years for all the kids to get close enough to their primes to be the leaders Little, Wheeler and Ladd are now?

Those three all put their souls into being players who carved out careers that were not expected of them. And now even Buff has joined them. Write Buff and Ladd a cheque and tell them to go out and win you a couple of rounds!

The only thing I don't agree with is re-signing Ladd. But that is a situation that could be a lot more severe if he is not extended.

First, the only reason to not re-sign him is that he's an almost 30 second line player who, in a few years time, will be a third line player. And considering he's looking for $6M/year, that is far too much for a guy who will be a third liner about half way through his rumoured 6 year deal. In 3 years, chances are Ehlers and Connor will have the top 2 lines secured, so that has Ladd on the outside looking in. If you are paying a 33/34 year old $6M, what will Ehlers be looking for? That's a lot of cheddar. Especially when everyone knows forwards are typically past their prime at 32.

Now, for the big reason that he should be kept. When the Winnipeg Jets came back in 2011, Andrew Ladd was the first to come to the city and say nothing but terrific things about it. He has been the city's biggest supporter since day 1. Captain or not, that speaks volumes to the character that he has. What would this say to the other players who have been here since day 1, regardless that they are professional athletes and they expect change?

Fans in Winnipeg aren't worried about who will take over as Captain, should Ladd leave. Everyone here actually thinks more highly of Wheeler than they do of Ladd. That's not to say people here don't like or appreciate Ladd. That just says how terrific of a player and person Wheeler is. I remember listening to Hustler & Lawless a few weeks ago, and he said that there is no player in the Jets dressing room that is respected more by his teammates than Blake Wheeler.

But again, what does that say when you just let your Captain walk? It's tough. People here would rather see Buff retained, but it's an awfully tricky situation.

28 minutes ago, Monty said:

The only thing I don't agree with is re-signing Ladd. But that is a situation that could be a lot more severe if he is not extended.

First, the only reason to not re-sign him is that he's an almost 30 second line player who, in a few years time, will be a third line player. And considering he's looking for $6M/year, that is far too much for a guy who will be a third liner about half way through his rumoured 6 year deal. In 3 years, chances are Ehlers and Connor will have the top 2 lines secured, so that has Ladd on the outside looking in. If you are paying a 33/34 year old $6M, what will Ehlers be looking for? That's a lot of cheddar. Especially when everyone knows forwards are typically past their prime at 32.

Now, for the big reason that he should be kept. When the Winnipeg Jets came back in 2011, Andrew Ladd was the first to come to the city and say nothing but terrific things about it. He has been the city's biggest supporter since day 1. Captain or not, that speaks volumes to the character that he has. What would this say to the other players who have been here since day 1, regardless that they are professional athletes and they expect change?

Fans in Winnipeg aren't worried about who will take over as Captain, should Ladd leave. Everyone here actually thinks more highly of Wheeler than they do of Ladd. That's not to say people here don't like or appreciate Ladd. That just says how terrific of a player and person Wheeler is. I remember listening to Hustler & Lawless a few weeks ago, and he said that there is no player in the Jets dressing room that is respected more by his teammates than Blake Wheeler.

But again, what does that say when you just let your Captain walk? It's tough. People here would rather see Buff retained, but it's an awfully tricky situation.

I suppose the only thing we disagree on is I believe Ladd on 70 or 80% of teams is a first line winger.  Prob 2knd line on a serious contender, sure?  A 6'3'' PF version of Burrows who is 4 or 5 years younger. He  still scores 50 or sixty points a year checking, smashing & doing a lines dirty work. 

Odds are that would be very hard to replace. Winnipeg should move forward at the deadline this year; not backwards.

23 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

I suppose the only thing we disagree on is I believe Ladd on 70 or 80% of teams is a first line winger.  Prob 2knd line on a serious contender, sure?  A 6'3'' PF version of Burrows who is 4 or 5 years younger. He  still scores 50 or sixty points a year checking, smashing & doing a lines dirty work. 

Odds are that would be very hard to replace. Winnipeg should move forward at the deadline this year; not backwards.

The reason why I'm against re-signing Ladd is, we here in Winnipeg have been led to believe that Chevy will only re-sign one of Ladd or Buff, not both. And if that's the case, I don't see in any conceivable universe where one would choose Ladd over Buff.

It's funny actually. Brent Sopel was on Winnipeg TSN 1290 this afternoon, and he was saying that Chicago, while still dominant, is still trying to find someone like Buff, even after trading him away. He said that, while he respects both Ladd and Buff (having played with both of them), Winnipeg would immediately regret not re-signing Buff. Whereas the sting of losing Ladd wouldn't hurt as much, as he's far more replaceable.

Archived