The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Canucks 0-2 Flyers

CANUCK-EXPRESS

5 minutes ago, Shaelon said:

Why worry? look at the Edmonton Oilers, a ton of BPA picks and where'd it land them? 10+ years of basement dwelling. Canucks do the same thing, it's going to end up the same result. Good teams draft according to their needs, and their #1 need is Defense more so than offense. The forward group has a ton of upcoming prospects, all of which could become elite players for the Canucks.

My friend, I don't mean to pour ice water on ya...  which prospects do u feel are even close to developing into semi elite level? Gaunce? Shink? I guess ur just cutely optimistic! 

1 minute ago, Virtanen#18 said:

Which do we urgently need now? Answer me pls....  offensive firepower or defensive upgrade? Not tired of losing 2-0 games yet?

This team when healthy can score goals, so i'm not concerned about lack of firepower. I am tired of all the blown 3rd period leads and the lack of speed from the Blue-line and the constant turn overs. This team needs a guy like Shea Weber, Zdeno Chara, Aaron Ekblad, time to look to having the best D-core in the league. Defense wins championships. This team has enough goaltending prospects to be dominate in the future. This team has a plethora of young forward prospects, thus I think Chychrun would be more of an impact in the immediate future than Auston Matthews. Yes, Matthews would provide more offense, but this team doesn't need to become the Dallas Stars, a system that likely wont win a cup, but will give you exciting regular season hockey. This team needs to be built like the hawks or kings. Teams that are dynasties, that have proven that great Defense wins the cup.

Just now, Virtanen#18 said:

My friend, I don't mean to pour ice water on ya...  which prospects do u feel are even close to developing into semi elite level? Gaunce? Shink? I guess ur just cutely optimistic! 

We're talking about Rookies in their 1st year. Unless you're McJesus, you can't expect a rookie to put up PPG at this point in their careers. I'd rather take a team built to win from defense-out with 2 lines producing 120-150 points a line as opposed to two top lines producing 250 points per line and having no defense.

3 minutes ago, Shaelon said:

We're talking about Rookies in their 1st year. Unless you're McJesus, you can't expect a rookie to put up PPG at this point in their careers. I'd rather take a team built to win from defense-out with 2 lines producing 120-150 points a line as opposed to two top lines producing 250 points per line and having no defense.

OK maybe ur right but as a fan, I just want the town to show some mad passion again.... most ppl don't give a damn about the rebuilding plan.... they need A reason to pay to see the games.... if McCann and Virtanen could somehow contribute consistently, there would still be sellouts even for a losing season....  not to put blames on the two 19 yr olds of coz...  it's marketing 101...

Just now, Virtanen#18 said:

Which do we urgently need now? Answer me pls....  offensive firepower or defensive upgrade? Not tired of losing 2-0 games yet?

This is a false dichotomy. Offensive firepower or defensive upgrade do not have to be an either/or. A defensive upgrade could lead to an increase in offense.  Good drafting solves everything.  Edmonton drafted too many players from the same mold.  If they had drafted players like Landescog rather than RNH or Lindholm/Pouliot/Dumba rather than Yakupov, they might be better off.

27 minutes ago, danaimo said:

This team could use another good Centre men but they really need a stud Dman.  If they get the 1st overall pick, I hope they would trade down to 2nd spot and select Chychrun.

Lol the same stud dmen that got cut from wjc? Which of our prospects can replace the Sedins after they retire? 

6 minutes ago, danaimo said:

This is a false dichotomy. Offensive firepower or defensive upgrade do not have to be an either/or. A defensive upgrade could lead to an increase in offense.  Good drafting solves everything.  Edmonton drafted too many players from the same mold.  If they had drafted players like Landescog rather than RNH or Lindholm/Pouliot/Dumba rather than Yakupov, they might be better off.

Alas, someone understands my POV! I want to see a cup contender, a dynasty, not the same old that canuck fans have been accustomed to for its entire existence. Time to actually build a real cup contender. 

Just now, IamHomer said:

Lol the same stud dmen that got cut from wjc? Which of our prospects can replace the Sedins after they retire? 

It is extremely rare for a forward to make the WJC in their draft year.  It is unheard of for a Dman to make the squad in their draft year.  There is no shame on Chychrun in getting cut from the squad. He will be there next year and probably the NHL in 3 or 4 years time.

47 minutes ago, Shaelon said:

Why worry? look at the Edmonton Oilers, a ton of BPA picks and where'd it land them? 10+ years of basement dwelling. Canucks do the same thing, it's going to end up the same result. Good teams draft according to their needs, and their #1 need is Defense more so than offense. The forward group has a ton of upcoming prospects, all of which could become elite players for the Canucks.

Yeah cause they had a bunch of chimps running their team.

31 minutes ago, Nex is my ex said:

So have you non-tanknation folk finally decided to embrace the tank yet? trust us, this is whats best for the franchise, tank for Matthews and become a contender again in the long run. Nothing good comes out of winning except confidence at this point. #tankformatthews

I haven't given up on this team. I will never give up till its mathematically impossible. That philosophy will never change. But i do recognize the team's issues, and i feel good drafting will resolve this problems.

1 hour ago, Virtanen#18 said:

McCann

Boeser

Demko

Hutton

Horvat

Shinkaruk

These players could develope into elite, especially Demko. But id be happy with great

3 hours ago, IamHomer said:

Only 3 defensemen have ever made it on Team Canada, in their draft year (Ekblad, Murray, Ellis). TC tends to lean on old players, when it comes to picking their defensive unit. Just because Chychrun got cut from the squad, doesn't mean he's going to be a dud of a player. 

I have to agree with the minority here, if we happen to win the lottery. The smart route would be to trade down a couple of spots, get some assets in return and draft the best possible defensemen on the board, whether it's Chychrun or not. 

Ask any GM executives around the league, to build a successful team, you always build it from the crease out. We already have Demko in the system. Now it's time to find a stud defensemen.

7 hours ago, coastal1 said:

You know that realistically it is impossible to expect that more then 4 of those guys (Horvat, McCann, Virtanen, Boeser, Gaunce Hutton, Shinkaruk, Demko)  will become real NHL players. The Canucks are not any more genius at drafting than any other team.

Huh? All those guys will be NHL players to some degree except maybe Demko, who looks like an amazing prospect. 

5 hours ago, Shaelon said:

While I agree, part of the problem we have is the lack of "physical" help our defenders get from the offence. We just lack size in the offence to make a difference. Teams are getting bigger, look at Florida, Buffalo, Philly, Dallas. LA and Boston have good defenders but they get/got real physical compete from the forwards and that makes a hell of a difference.

We have guys who scramble about like Dorsett, Vbrata McCann, Hansen, Burr, Baertschi and the Twins but no "physical size" behind it. Then we have Bo, Higgins and Prust who don't seem to use their size to optimum effect. The only player I see really using his size is Cracknell.

I hope Tryamkin is what JB thinks he is, Pedan too but if we get some big bodies like Jake, Boeser, Gaunce and Grenier (maybe even Jensen)  that will help Edler, Tanev, Hutton and Biega.

7 hours ago, danaimo said:

You know you are absolutely right, we are 2 points from a playoff spot.  However we are also 2 games away from being bottom of the league, No.30, cream of the crap, favourite to get Austin Matthews, dead last.  Which do you think is most likely to transpire?  By Jan 1st are the Canucks more likely to be 3rd in the Pacific or dead last in the league?

I'm not sure having watched the Philly game. 

When we pull together like that we actually look quite good. If only we could put more of our chances away.

I believe you make your own luck but honestly, when I see some people harp on about how it is all down to our D, I despair. After the twins, we can't buy a goal - does that not tell us something - 36 shots and not one goal and not for the first time this season either. It is a recurring theme.

After the twins, we have had 16 forwards play in this team and they have combined to score just 38 goals in 33 games played. One guy came, in scored on his debut and was promptly sent back to Utica. wtf.

We need to draft some genuine snipers and I don't care where we pick first it had better be a sniping forward because mark my words, when the Sedins retire we will be in some deep s---t. There is no one lighting up in Utica.

People should stop pointing out LA, Boston, the Hawks, NYR, TB, Anaheim, Sharks and Montreal to make an argument for defence. These teams, first and foremost have/had some serious goal threat.

Archived