The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Should the Canucks OS an RFA Defenseman?

Retinalz

1 hour ago, YEGCanuck said:

Tempting but too costly. Instead draft and develop. We should picking a defenseman in the first or second round each year. I realize this route is a lengthy process however it would be my preferred way to insure we have the depth needed to succeed.

Unless our pick is top 5 in 2017(unlikely as with Jones we are a better team than this year), it is doubtful the d we could draft in r 1-3 are better than Jones. At best likely equal to. Why not speed up the rebuild. Offer sheet Forsberg and Jones with a solid signing bonus. Nashville will only match one and it will be Forsberg. hard to think either sign before July 1 unless Nashville decides to highball right away. Trouba asking 7mil, Jones will be asking 7mil.

2 hours ago, elvis15 said:

They have an internal cap though, as has been mentioned. That's why Philly structured the deal the way they did, with big bonuses front loaded, to try and keep Nashville from matching just from a financial aspect. Nashville can only take so many of those contracts on without cutting back elsewhere - and it's in the forwards that they need help where they'd be hurt.

And OP, this is totally the wrong sub-forum. This sub-forum is only for posts that have links to sources for confirmed trades, rumours/speculation on deals, and player signings. It also requires that you tag your post in the title so it's clear what kind of thread it is.

This would probably work better in the proposals sub-forum, as a [Discussion] thread.

Is there a way for me to move it to a dif sub-forum?

Offersheet should be a last ditch effort. JB should try to trade for a top-2 right-sided defensemen (like Hamonic) and try and sign one of the left-sided UFAs, like Keith Yandle, Alex Golisgoski (PLZ), Kris Russell, or even Brian Campbell short-term. Of course, if the Canucks are outbid in all these situations, I think an offersheet is probably a better route than doing nothing. 

I too would like Seth Jones on this team ASAP. 

I'd do 7 years @ 7 million for Jones. If Nashville is serious about contending they need to add a number 1 centre. I'd bet that they would prefer to use that money to trade for a number one centre rather then sign Jones to a long term deal. Their D core is strong enough, what's lacking is their forwards.

I think Barrie is the most probable defenseman we could steal. He would bring an offensive element to our back end and stabilize our top-4 on the right side. Our right side defenseman for the Horvat era would be set with Tanev and Barrie. With the Avalanche probably having trouble resigning him, he seems like the best option.

If the Jets for some reason choose to let Trouba go, he could be an option as well. They might choose to resign Byfuglien instead, as he is a proven gamebreaker. Probably not going to happen.

I don't think we could get Jones, unless we offer like 10 million per for 7 years.

Most of the RFA defencemen would cost us a 1st, 2nd and 3rd rounder. To be honest, I'd do that in a heart-beat.

These guys are already developed, and future star defencemen. Good luck finding guys like that in the draft, especially with our history of drafting defencemen. This 2016 Draft will be great for plucking defencemen, with 10 out of the top 30 likely to be A-grade D-men, so I say we draft one there, then offer-sheet one of those guys and hope our team is solid enough to end up with no worse than a top-20 pick in the 2017 Draft which is likely.

Here's Nashville's situation for next season:

In the off-season they'll have around 23.7M cap space, but need to sign:

Filip Forsberg (who deserves 1st line center money, around 5-6M)

Gabriel Bourque (3rd/4th line player around 1-2M)

Cody Hodgson or other 3rd or 4th line center (you'd think around 1-2M max)

Jarnkrok (deserves around 2-3, maybe even 4M tops)

A bunch of their other kids or just UFAs to fill the bottom-9 roles at around 1M each (they'll need about 4 bodies there)

Seth Jones (who deserves around 7M easily if not more)

I think it'll actually end up being pretty tight but Nashville can get them all under, provided no one offers Seth a monster contract in which case Nashville would be getting at least 2 first rounders back. Don't think the Canucks should blow THAT much on him.

Archived