The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Should the Canucks OS an RFA Defenseman?

Retinalz

Next July 1st we have quite a few budding stars coming off of ELC and looking for a big raise. This list includes, but is not limited to, Seth Jones, Jacob Trouba, and Cody Ceci. An offer sheet for any of these 3 would require either a 1st/3rd or even a 1st/2nd/3rd in 2017 if we do an OS and get them. There are other RFA candidates as well. Knowing we need a RHD dman after Tanev something fierce, would you OS one of these Dmen. If so which ones and how much would it take to get them?

The only one of those three I would legit offer sheet would be Seth Jones. They got screwed with the Weber offer sheet from Philly, and I don't think they could afford to match another one, just from a dollars perspective. I'd go all in, max length deal on Jones with a high percentage up front as a signing bonus.

Given that it will be our 2017 draft picks that will be given up, not our 2016's I'd be happy with that. By 2017 we should see the full youth movement happen, and we can begin to rebuild the prospect pipeline starting with the 2018 draft.

We'd have time to recover from the loss of those picks, and have a true #1 D in Jones.

UFA - Jones
Edler - Tanev
Hutton - Sbisa

That's a defence I could live with.

10 minutes ago, shadowgoon said:

The only one of those three I would legit offer sheet would be Seth Jones. They got screwed with the Weber offer sheet from Philly, and I don't think they could afford to match another one, just from a dollars perspective. I'd go all in, max length deal on Jones with a high percentage up front as a signing bonus.

Given that it will be our 2017 draft picks that will be given up, not our 2016's I'd be happy with that. By 2017 we should see the full youth movement happen, and we can begin to rebuild the prospect pipeline starting with the 2018 draft.

We'd have time to recover from the loss of those picks, and have a true #1 D in Jones.

UFA - Jones
Edler - Tanev
Hutton - Sbisa

That's a defence I could live with.

Actually, Nashville has close to 10mil in cap space this year.  Next year they could easily match any offer anyone puts up.  They have 1 high priced player, 2 won't kill them.

3 minutes ago, PLOGUE said:

Actually, Nashville has close to 10mil in cap space this year.  Next year they could easily match any offer anyone puts up.  They have 1 high priced player, 2 won't kill them.

They might have the cap, but their ownership group doesn't have the capital to spend to that cap. They made an exception with Weber simply because at that time he was, and still is the face of their franchise.

Internally, I think they would have to think long and hard about committing a large portion (20-30 million dollars) of real, up front dollars, not money that can be spent over the course of the season when revenue is coming in.

Dunno, was more a thought than anything else. If nothing else, Nashville trades him for a kings ransom, of course one so rich we could not afford to match without gutting our future. We're just going to have to develop our own home grown stud, and it may just come in the form of Chychrun.

As much as I like the idea of grabbing one of these big name upcoming dmen, it would have to be for a large surrender of picks,  and I suspect teams will match anything that isn't an exorbitant cap hit. I don't want to overpay one of these guys just because we're in need of defensemen.

Not to mention it would piss off other GMs

Tyson Barrie out of Colorado. There have been rumours he could be moved if the Avs feel he will be too expensive to resign. He brings an incredible amount of offence from the back end. I don't think we should be giving up 1sts at all, even if it's next years. However, finding a young, right handed top-4 defenseman does not happen every day. I could live with it if we could lock him up long term. Something like 5.75-6 million per for 7 years. How many picks would we have to give up for a contract of that size?

Barrie might choose us over other teams because he is from B.C.

4 minutes ago, shadowgoon said:

They might have the cap, but their ownership group doesn't have the capital to spend to that cap. They made an exception with Weber simply because at that time he was, and still is the face of their franchise.

Internally, I think they would have to think long and hard about committing a large portion (20-30 million dollars) of real, up front dollars, not money that can be spent over the course of the season when revenue is coming in.

Dunno, was more a thought than anything else. If nothing else, Nashville trades him for a kings ransom, of course one so rich we could not afford to match without gutting our future. We're just going to have to develop our own home grown stud, and it may just come in the form of Chychrun.

Don't forget their best forward, Forsberg, needs a raise as well. he will get4-5mil easy. they have several other rfa coming off that need slight raises. I doubt they will have the cap space to match 6-7mil cap.

Offersheeting a high valued player is a quick way to burn a relationship with another GM or franchise. Don't get me wrong, I'm ALL for the idea, but if you make an offer sheet to a high profile player, you better make a good deal that lets you actually walk away with him, and at the same time, doesn't require you to massively strap yourself cap-wise

34 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Tyson Barrie out of Colorado. There have been rumours he could be moved if the Avs feel he will be too expensive to resign. He brings an incredible amount of offence from the back end. I don't think we should be giving up 1sts at all, even if it's next years. However, finding a young, right handed top-4 defenseman does not happen every day. I could live with it if we could lock him up long term. Something like 5.75-6 million per for 7 years. How many picks would we have to give up for a contract of that size?

Barrie might choose us over other teams because he is from B.C.

If I was Benning I would seriously consider taking a run at Barrie.

24 minutes ago, TheLiveWire said:

Offersheeting a high valued player is a quick way to burn a relationship with another GM or franchise. Don't get me wrong, I'm ALL for the idea, but if you make an offer sheet to a high profile player, you better make a good deal that lets you actually walk away with him, and at the same time, doesn't require you to massively strap yourself cap-wise

You are right about burning bridges, But Aside from defense Nashville doesn't really have anything we need terribly bad. Only a bad GM holds that bad of a grudge over an Offer Sheet. At the end of the day every GM needs to worry about making their team better and are always looking to do things that are more in their favor. Unless your name is Jim Benning of course. Doing an Offer sheet on a team we rarely trade with is a good idea. Pull a SJ and OS Forsberg AND Jones. Better chance of getting one of them. Both of which are worth 1st/2nd/3rd easily.

This is the reason that this year's TD day is probably going to be the most interesting in years...because of the bumper crop of RFA's (particularly young D-men that can fill top 4 roles). I think we're going to see a bunch of high quality NHL D-men on the move to free up cap/roster space for the young guns. We can definitely cash in with some cheaper deals / bridge contracts for a few older D-men to give our own a chance to develop (Hutton, Pedan, Subban, Brisebois, Cederholm etc). CBJ needs to move someone (Tyutin?) but so will BOS (Seidenberg?) / DAL (Oduya?) / LA (Greene?) / MTL (Emelin?) / PIT (Daley) / SJ (Burns?).

Better yet is the bumper crop of upcoming UFA's that can be had for free because their team is up against the wall to sign RFA's or lose 'em (Grossmann, Russell, Goligoski, Demers, Campbell, Ehrhoff, Gilbert, Yandle, Schenn, Gunnarsson, Coburn, Polak, Byfuglien...and of course our own Dan "the little Hammer" Hamhuis).

So many options for each GM this year. All I can say is that this trend will continue for a long time. Either the NHL needs to loosen up the Cap Space rules somehow or there are going to be a lot of high quality NHL players in the KHL.

Agreed.  Don't get me wrong, I'm with you. But I'm just saying theres a reason we don't see it happen that often. A lot of times, the deal that you come to with an RFA aren't necesarily good ones. This is beacuse you have to overpay, and offer an amount that the other team is not willing to do. In doing that, you are strapping yourself with massive cap, and losing draft picks. And when you take that risk, you risk burning bridges along the way. If someone offersheeted Bo Horvat, and for some reason took him away from us, (which I don't see happenening) I wouldn't expect many trades with that team for a while.

What i'm basically saying is, yes I'm all for Seth Jones or another young stud D, but don't be surprised if the offer sheet he would recieve crazy money. Still, with Vrbata, Hamhuis coming off the books, and Burrows and Miller coming off the books the following year, and most likely the Sedins after that, cap space isn't really that much of a issue for us. I would offersheet Seth Jones and would be willing to overpay as the positional need in the franchise is dire, and having that stabalizing force on the backend would be huge for now as well as possibly another 5-10 years. But that's exactly why he would cost so much. Don't think Nashville would want to get rid of him, especially for a couple of picks.

If we can get him or another young right handed stud, I agree, I would give up our first round pick and more in a heartbeat.

1 hour ago, Retinalz said:

Next July 1st we have quite a few budding stars coming off of ELC and looking for a big raise. This list includes, but is not limited to, Seth Jones, Jacob Trouba, and Cody Ceci. An offer sheet for any of these 3 would require either a 1st/3rd or even a 1st/2nd/3rd in 2017 if we do an OS and get them. There are other RFA candidates as well. Knowing we need a RHD dman after Tanev something fierce, would you OS one of these Dmen. If so which ones and how much would it take to get them?

No way Benning parts with an abundance of picks. Not one chance. He's Drafter Benning at the draft. He's most likely going to be Trader Benning at the deadline to load up for the upcoming draft.

How much does Jones, or any RFA-defenseman cost to sign?

One has to ask; does Drafter Benning pay such a price as listed below?

AVERAGE ANNUAL VALUE
&
COMPENSATION

Less than $1,205,377
Nothing

$1,205,377-to-$1,826,328        
1 X 3rd Round

$1,826,328-to-$3,652,659        
1 X 2nd Round

$3,652,659-to-$5,478,986        
1 X 1st Round
1 X 3rd Round

$5,478,986-to-$7,305,316        
1 X 1st Round
1 X 2nd Round
1 X 3rd Round

$7,305,316-to-$9,131,645        
2 X 1st Round
1 X 2nd Round
1 X 3rd Round

$9,131,645 or greater        
4 X 1st Round

3 minutes ago, Me_ said:

No way Benning parts with an abundance of picks. Not one chance. He's Draft Benning at the draft. He's most likely going to be Trade Benning at the deadline to load up for the upcoming draft.

Any year in the past I would agree with you, but not this year. This is unique. There are a number of situations where the incumbent Dman may lose his job to an upcoming RFA. So a bunch of GM's are up against a wall this year...they either retain the incumbent and let the RFA go on an O/S, or they trade away the incumbent for whatever they can get and sign their RFA. This is unique, quite unlike any year we've seen to date. The number of high quality 20 to 23 year old Dmen looking for payraises this year is going to cause some shockwaves around the NHL.

And I just thought of a way to retain some NHL players (keep them from walking away to the KHL)...expand the roster of each team to include 1 expiring player that would be retained by the same NHL club after retiring as a player (might keep some guys from walking to KHL for 1 or 2 seasons and then what?...at least this way they stay in the NHL for 1 or 2 more years then bump to managing/scouting/whatever team in the future).

offer sheets are pipe dreams in general, that are virtually never successful - you can place very little hope in acquiring a player via one.  the player has to actually be willing to sign it and you have to offer so much more than market value or it's an easy decision to match, in which case you're overpaying and giving away multiple picks (depending on how high your picks are, this may also preclude as OS from making sense).

and just a heads up - this is the trades, signings rumours forum - your question belongs in the armchair gms, proposals forum

2 hours ago, PLOGUE said:

They have an internal cap though, as has been mentioned. That's why Philly structured the deal the way they did, with big bonuses front loaded, to try and keep Nashville from matching just from a financial aspect. Nashville can only take so many of those contracts on without cutting back elsewhere - and it's in the forwards that they need help where they'd be hurt.

And OP, this is totally the wrong sub-forum. This sub-forum is only for posts that have links to sources for confirmed trades, rumours/speculation on deals, and player signings. It also requires that you tag your post in the title so it's clear what kind of thread it is.

This would probably work better in the proposals sub-forum, as a [Discussion] thread.

Archived