The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Music in 2017

GLASSJAW

14 minutes ago, GLASSJAW said:

been meaning to check that out. Danny Brown is a cool guy, but his voice really irritates me after a while. give it a listen later

was supposed to go to the Preoccupations concert in Vancouver tonight, but I can't get out of some work sht tomorrow :((((

Im sure you performing at 80% would suffice

8 minutes ago, riffraff said:

Im sure you performing at 80% would suffice

i'm on the island, so it's more of a time issue. goin to vancouver aint cheap or time efficient at all. ultimately, i just can't risk being late, and couldn't get someone to cover for me

2 minutes ago, GLASSJAW said:

i'm on the island, so it's more of a time issue. goin to vancouver aint cheap or time efficient at all. ultimately, i just can't risk being late, and couldn't get someone to cover for me

Right

forgot that logistic.

hate missing anticipated shows.

4 minutes ago, riffraff said:

Right

forgot that logistic.

hate missing anticipated shows.

ya it's a drag. $20 concert turns into a $300 outing unless you have people to stay with

oh well, there's always Victoria's concerts. I'm sure we've got Rod Stewart lined up again, or some hologram Rita MacNeal show to look forward to

Pixies last album, Indie Cindy, was pretty bad. I like a couple songs off it, but mostly it is bad. went into the new one with very low expectations as a result, and was pleasantly surprised. Not great, but pretty good. 

I think it's a little tacky that their new bass player, Paz Lenchantin or whatever, sounds like she's trying to sound like Kim Deal, or that's just a weird coincidence

goddamn, I cannot get enough of this Hamilton + Rostam album. this thing just grows on me more and more. it really reminds me of a small survey of rock music, almost. like, so many styles are being represented here - in that sense, it's like those two fantastic Girls albums from a couple years ago. anyway, it's more diverse than The Walkmen, but still consistently good. not as easy-to-digest as Vampire Weekend, but maybe a bit more rewarding in that it isn't immediately so catchy

just a fantastic album if you give it time

6 hours ago, GLASSJAW said:

Pixies last album, Indie Cindy, was pretty bad. I like a couple songs off it, but mostly it is bad. went into the new one with very low expectations as a result, and was pleasantly surprised. Not great, but pretty good. 

I think it's a little tacky that their new bass player, Paz Lenchantin or whatever, sounds like she's trying to sound like Kim Deal, or that's just a weird coincidence

Not rushing to check it out but I will.  At the very least, "pretty good" pixies can chew up 40+/-minutes of my day.

3 hours ago, Beluga Whale said:

Not sure how I feel about the new Bon Iver. Seems pretty hit or miss as I love some songs (10 deathbreast, 29 Strafford, 000000 milion) but some do nothing for me. 

I haven't made it all the way through yet, but on first impression, it's a hot mess.

3 hours ago, GLASSJAW said:

IMO, new Bon Iver is just pretty good. I really like some songs, I really like some hooks. but the production and the back-n-forth threeway spitball between Kanye, Bon Iver, and James Blake is just boring to me now. 

I just cant relate to it.  I tried.

18 hours ago, GLASSJAW said:

IMO, new Bon Iver is just pretty good. I really like some songs, I really like some hooks. but the production and the back-n-forth threeway spitball between Kanye, Bon Iver, and James Blake is just boring to me now. 

I've given it a few more listens and I'm actually loving it now. Just like For Emma it needs time to grow on you.

I don't mind the similar productions as long as it doesn't go on much longer. I wouldn't even be surprised if Bon Iver's next album goes back to their old style. 

September was a pretty amazing month for music: Preoccupations, My Woman, Skeleton Tree, Close Eyes to Exit, I Had A Dream That You Were Mine, Atrocity Exhibition, 22 a million. Damn I feel like that makes up most of my favorite albums for the entire year right there. 

Loving this song so much right now. That's Hope Sandoval (Mazzy Star) and Colm Ó Cíosóig (MBV) with Kurt Vile. Their new album is out in November I think. 

Also just found out about Jumping the Shark from Alex Cameron. Solid album. Kind of a Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds vibe.

Jenny Hval's Blood Bitch is pretty good too. 

^yeah, that song is good

been listening to newest Thee Oh Sees a fair bit today. some really good songs on there. this one is one of my favs. really sounds like some vintage, classic rock filtered through some contemporary noisy garage rock

48 minutes ago, Beluga Whale said:

Loving this song so much right now. That's Hope Sandoval (Mazzy Star) and Colm Ó Cíosóig (MBV) with Kurt Vile. Their new album is out in November I think. 

Also just found out about Jumping the Shark from Alex Cameron. Solid album. Kind of a Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds vibe.

Jenny Hval's Blood Bitch is pretty good too. 

:wub:

On 10/5/2016 at 10:22 PM, GLASSJAW said:

^yeah, that song is good

been listening to newest Thee Oh Sees a fair bit today. some really good songs on there. this one is one of my favs. really sounds like some vintage, classic rock filtered through some contemporary noisy garage rock

I just finished listening to the album and I'm digging it. I really like everything from Unwrap the Fiend pt 2. onward with Axis being a great finish. Nice sound diversity with some sick riffs too. Is that a cello in the second to last track?

I've never heard them before but I'd like to hear more. Which album do you recommend I check out next?

Archived