The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Music in 2017

GLASSJAW

3 hours ago, GLASSJAW said:

martin shkreli said he'd release the wu tang album he bought if trump wins, and trump won. apparently he's making good with his promise, too

Wonder if it will sound like all other rap music I've ever heard?

Some good new stuff today:

New xx single - hold on.

Spoiler

Decent but nothing amazing. Feels like a lot of Jamie xx influence on this one. New album drops January 13th.

New King Gizzard. I really like this.

Spoiler

I don't think I posted this ITT yet but I thought their album earlier this year was quite good. Took a few listens to get into though.

Also, new Thee Oh Sees - An Odd Entrances: http://www.npr.org/2016/11/10/500998666/first-listen-thee-oh-sees-an-odd-entrances

This is another strong album. I think I like the first 15 or so minutes the best. Definitely a cleaner sound than the last one which I think I like.

18 hours ago, GLASSJAW said:

wow, only halfway through the new Tribe Called Quest album. i'm listening through really low quality speakers, but even through the tinny sound it's surprisingly very good.

Yeah I'm only 6 songs in right now but it is indeed very good. Looking forward to hearing the collabs with Kendrick and Anderson Paak. This caught me off guard because I forgot they were even back together. 

5 hours ago, Beluga Whale said:

Yeah I'm only 6 songs in right now but it is indeed very good. Looking forward to hearing the collabs with Kendrick and Anderson Paak. This caught me off guard because I forgot they were even back together. 

they aren't really back-back, it's just a sorta final project using some vocals Pfife recorded before he died. not sure if Tip would tour the stuff or anything, though.

either way, it's so good. Dis Generation is brilliant. one of my fav hip hop songs of the year

edit: just finished listening to the whole thing again. my fav rap album of the year by far. this is so good straight through. 

22 hours ago, GLASSJAW said:

they aren't really back-back, it's just a sorta final project using some vocals Pfife recorded before he died. not sure if Tip would tour the stuff or anything, though.

either way, it's so good. Dis Generation is brilliant. one of my fav hip hop songs of the year

edit: just finished listening to the whole thing again. my fav rap album of the year by far. this is so good straight through. 

Oh I see. Shame about Phife but it really adds a strong emotional element to the whole album.

Yeah I've listened to it twice now and I'd put it right with Atrocity Exhibition as my favourite hip hop album this year. 

I think most of the best songs come at the beginning with The Space Program, We the People, Solid Wall of Sound, Dis Generation and Kids. I still like the second disk a lot however, especially with all the great collabs. It's a long album but every track is unique and really creative. Also some great sampling in this. 

4 hours ago, D-Money said:

Finally got around to the new PJ Harvey. It's not quite Let England Shake, but it's still very, very good.

The Ministry of Defense is definitely one of my songs of the year.

wish i was hearing what you are. i don't really dislike the album or anything, but it did not move me in the least. probably the biggest disappointment of the year for me, considering how much i enjoyed her last release

1 hour ago, GLASSJAW said:

wish i was hearing what you are. i don't really dislike the album or anything, but it did not move me in the least. probably the biggest disappointment of the year for me, considering how much i enjoyed her last release

My first reaction was disappointment too. But by the 3rd listen it started really growing on me.

9 hours ago, D-Money said:

Finally got around to the new PJ Harvey. It's not quite Let England Shake, but it's still very, very good.

The Ministry of Defense is definitely one of my songs of the year.

Funny I was just listening to Let England Shake yesterday. I thought her newest was album pretty good and I think Ministry of Defense would be favourite too. That or Orange Monkey.

Archived