The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Music in 2017

GLASSJAW

4 minutes ago, Beluga Whale said:

I just finished listening to the album and I'm digging it. I really like everything from Unwrap the Fiend pt 2. onward with Axis being a great finish. Nice sound diversity with some sick riffs too. Is that a cello in the second to last track?

I've never heard them before but I'd like to hear more. Which album do you recommend I check out next?

they're kind of a cool band to follow because the brain behind the group, John Dwyer, is so absurdly profilic. but his career is definitely quantity over quality. he must have at least 25 albums out over the last 12 years. some WAY better than others. sorta like Ty Segall in that way - but I think Dwyer/TOS are way better.

anyway, I definitely recommend Floating Coffin (probably my fav) and Putrifiers II. but they're pretty damn similar, so if you want some more lofi, weird, drugged out sh-t, then just keep going back more.

anyway, they just announced their second album of the year. think its due out in november or something.

^checked out Floating Coffin and it's nice. Really good music to have playing in the background. 

New music:

Phantogram - Three is pretty good. Maybe a bit popier than I had hoped but there are some good beats (Funeral Pyre, Cruel World, Your Mine). 

Goat - Requiem (psychedelica/afrobeat): This was a pleasant surprise. First third of the album is definitely better than the rest but I really like this.

Favourite song: 

never was huge on emo as a genre, but I did (and do) like some of the classic stuff, like Sunny Day Real Estate, Promise Ring, etc.

never really got the hype of American Football and stuff like that, and wasn't really big on the "emo revival" thing going on now. 

THAT SAID, the new Joyce Manor album is pretty enjoyable. only 24 minutes

51 minutes ago, GLASSJAW said:

never was huge on emo as a genre, but I did (and do) like some of the classic stuff, like Sunny Day Real Estate, Promise Ring, etc.

never really got the hype of American Football and stuff like that, and wasn't really big on the "emo revival" thing going on now. 

THAT SAID, the new Joyce Manor album is pretty enjoyable. only 24 minutes

Yeah I've never been able to get into emo. I tried a bit of the new Joyce Manor when it came out and it didn't do much for me tbh.

4 hours ago, Beluga Whale said:

Yeah I've never been able to get into emo. I tried a bit of the new Joyce Manor when it came out and it didn't do much for me tbh.

lol, ya, Joyce Manor is weird - a couple of the songs are really good IMO, but some others -- including the longest ones -- sorta just sound like the same 3 chords, no chorus, repeated for 4 minutes. not exactly sure what the appeal of the genre is, entirely. but i'm still gonna sniff around to see if anything else comes up that i like

4 hours ago, Beluga Whale said:

Hottakes: The Midnight Sun by C Duncan is a real good dream pop album. Never heard of him before but I like his sound.

Haven't checked out the new Kings of Leon or Cinema Cub yet but I'm not really hearing good things so far.

dream pop is a genre i do enjoy, but i find there is just some intangible element that i can never really pinpoint that makes some more appealing than others. listening to this now, though, just to see.

also checked out the new Green Day the other day, you know, just to see. it's absolutely horrendous. even worse than the new Blink 182

also listened to GOAT, thought it was pretty good but didn't blow me away

also listened to Omni's "Deluxe" and that is pretty darn good

love the new Cloud Nothings single

8 hours ago, D-Money said:

Love this band and pretty much have everything Boekner.  However, I think I heard the song blue wave on a Toyota commercial the other night.

which is totally lame.

interestingly,. Britt Daniels of Spoon, who plays with Dan in Divine Fits released "they want my soul" a couple years back.....the spoon albums theme according to Daniels related to the negative side music industry/art vs money etc.....but sure enough a song off that album ended up on a commercial as well. Pretty sure it was for a car company too.

19 hours ago, GLASSJAW said:

lol, ya, Joyce Manor is weird - a couple of the songs are really good IMO, but some others -- including the longest ones -- sorta just sound like the same 3 chords, no chorus, repeated for 4 minutes. not exactly sure what the appeal of the genre is, entirely. but i'm still gonna sniff around to see if anything else comes up that i like

dream pop is a genre i do enjoy, but i find there is just some intangible element that i can never really pinpoint that makes some more appealing than others. listening to this now, though, just to see.

also checked out the new Green Day the other day, you know, just to see. it's absolutely horrendous. even worse than the new Blink 182

also listened to GOAT, thought it was pretty good but didn't blow me away

also listened to Omni's "Deluxe" and that is pretty darn good

love the new Cloud Nothings single

Yeah dream pop is easily one of my favourite sub genres but there definitely is a fine line between what is good and what just sounds like bland noises and it's different for everyone too.

I loved Green Day when I was a kid but none of their new stuff even remotely appeals to me. Same thing with Billy Talent. 

19 hours ago, D-Money said:

/\

Really enjoying that Operators album.

Yes! Just finished listening to this and I absolutely love it. Really like the sythpop style Boekner is going for here.

Initial favourite is Blue Wave. Cold light, Control and Space Needle are also really good.

Other new releases:

Kings of Leon - WALLS: Better than expected. Obviously nowhere near as good as their early albums but I enjoyed this. I liked the choice to include more calm/mellow songs.

Two Door Cinema Club: Meh. Some good hooks but it gets really repetitive after a while.

The Early Years - II: Another band I've never heard of but I like this. Not sure the exact genre but it sounds somewhere between dream pop and psychedelica. Favs: Nocturn, Fluxes and Hush.

1 hour ago, Beluga Whale said:

Yes! Just finished listening to this and I absolutely love it. Really like the sythpop style Boekner is going for here.

Initial favourite is Blue Wave. Cold light, Control and Space Needle are also really good.

Other new releases:

Kings of Leon - WALLS: Better than expected. Obviously nowhere near as good as their early albums but I enjoyed this. I liked the choice to include more calm/mellow songs.

Two Door Cinema Club: Meh. Some good hooks but it gets really repetitive after a while.

The Early Years - II: Another band I've never heard of but I like this. Not sure the exact genre but it sounds somewhere between dream pop and psychedelica. Favs: Nocturn, Fluxes and Hush.

Id say off of Blue Wave my favs would be Control and Nobody

the ep is really good too.  Check out the song Ancient.

And the single Ecstasy in my house....very dancy bordering on acid house

You Want it Darker is really, really good. I honestly haven't listened to his older stuff as much as I should have but I checked this out based on the super high praise and it definitely lives up to it. Amazing that he's doing this at 82!

Weyes Blood - Front Row Seat to Earth is pretty strong. Quite a few songs I really like on this. I think the singles would still be my favourites.

Radio Dept. - Running Out of Love (shoegazing) is decent. Some great songs (Swedish guns, This was bound to happen) but a lot of the album is forgettable. 

D.D. Dumbo - Utopia Defeated: Not even sure how to describe this album but it's a good listen. Very diverse set of sounds. Top song would be King Fraco Picasso.

New music friday! Some good stuff today:

Lambchop - FLOTUS (folk electronica?):  Nothing aside from NIV amazed me initially but it's still a really beautiful sounding album with some great melodies. Pretty much all the vocals are auto-tuned so it's definitely a different sounding album but they work nicely with the instrumentals to create a lush and relaxing atmosphere. 

Best song:

Spoiler

STRFKR - Being No One, Going Nowhere: Liked this too. Better than what I was expecting. 

Hope Sandoval and the Warm Invitations - Until the Hunter: Very nice album. I can't get enough of her voice.

Let me get there is still the best song but there are a few others I really like (Day disguise, I took a slip, liquid lady). 

Archived