The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(PGT)Canucks 4 - Pens 5

canucktican

9 hours ago, Googlie said:

McCann has done absolutely nothing since he got separated from Prust/Dorsett/Cracknell.

He is standing in for Hank because Sutter is out, Bo had great chemistry with Baertschi, and Vey has developing chemistry with Etem and Burrows. McCann isn't there because he earned it, he is there by default, as the least disruptive.

And he contributes nothing - Daniel looks lost, as McCann can't cycle, or make the 3 foot pass, and hansen is just ignoring Mccann and accepting the passes from Danny and Sbisa to chase and score on the fly.

As to a McCann vs Vey comparison, McCann has 12 points in 45 games, Vey 6 in 15.  Prorated, Vey is outscoring McCann.

Don't get me wrong, I like Mccann, but not as a center.  I've said elsewhere that I think McCann on Vey's wing, with Etem on the other would be a classic Playmaker / Retriever / Sniper combo much like Larianov / Krutov / Makharov ..... or at least a poor man's version!

I agree with all you have said other than McCann on the wing. The kid is going to be our future 1c, we need to accept the growing pains.

Also, realize Daniel has never scored without Hank. They showed a stat the other night and his ppg was something like .35 without Hank in the lineup, this is more on Danny than McCann. Daniel is the Hall of Famer, McCann is an 18 yr old rookie, Daniel needs to carry the line and adjust his game to help McCann out.

Clearly, Hank and McCann play VERY different games. Hank is not a burner and never has been as we know, and he and Daniel are give and go cycle players.

McCann is a burner, off the rush, in and out of spots and is learning how the twins play (think of all the wingers who have said you need 'learn to play with them')...Now think about the fact he's replaced the main cog in the wheel.

McCann can playmake extremely well, he has great vision, but he needs to play a speed game (right now). He hasn't learned yet that most of the scoring in the NHL is not off the rush but rather off the cycle, down low below the circles, and this is why 2 supposed slow players in the twins have been so good for so long, that's their game.

McCann will learn that over time, get better down low and in the circle as he gains weight, but saying he's not a center in my view is silly We've got a kid who could be the next Joe Sakic (or Sakic Lite) on our hands, you leave him at center. I think the Nucks share my view as well given they've kept him at 4c vs the wing

10 hours ago, DeNiro said:

No one should be hating on Vey. It's Willie's deployment of him that's the problem.

There's no way on any team in any game (even with injuries) Vey should be the leading minute man among forwards.

If they're showcasing him for a trade, fine. But if Willie thinks he's the best option as our number 1 center, he's losing it.

How do you make that out "no way?"

You coach as the circumstances dictate, if you haven't learned that then you haven't been paying attention it seems to me. The way we have been playing there is not that much difference between lines some nights.

In fact some nights the 4th line has outshone the 2nd and the 3rd. According to you that means the coach should ignore what he is seeing and just do it by the numbers.

There was all of a massive 17 seconds between Vey and Horvat and Horvat was a -2 to Vey's -1. Vey's minutes did not as far as I could see detract from Bo OR McCann who was playing well considering his opponent at +2

Maybe Vey played some of Daniel's minutes because he was almost invisible in that game.

Vey plays with Etem (early days but not exactly lighting it up, 1 pt in 7) and Burrows -11 and yet is only -2 after 15 games despite playing high mins

Bo plays with Sven (a much more accomplished line mate) and Vbrata who is having a -22 nightmare. and is -23.

All this c--p has come about because Vey put one into his own net, and for no other reason. People like you seize on misfortunes like that to further your agenda it seems to many of the rest of us.

7 hours ago, canucks74sy said:

The Vey goal set off a chain of unfortunate events. If it was me I would have called time out after that goal to disrupt the momentum and calm team and goalie down.

You could be right but that is hindsight. 

Who knew what would happen next, we were playing well, they got a fluky goal and an empty netter. If we had got it to 4-4 and we were pressed in our own end Willie would have been hammered for not saving his time out. Hindsight is a fine thing.

1 hour ago, alfstonker said:

You could be right but that is hindsight. 

Who knew what would happen next, we were playing well, they got a fluky goal and an empty netter. If we had got it to 4-4 and we were pressed in our own end Willie would have been hammered for not saving his time out. Hindsight is a fine thing.

If WD used his timeout and then we got it too 4/4 it would be hard to find fault in the decision to have used the timeout at that time.  One could present the argument that the timeout reset the team and focused them to get it to 4/4.

as well, Miller is proving he struggles with focus after certain plays go against him/team. A timeout would have allowed Miller to collect himself, which imo, is something he really needs to work on anyway.

9 minutes ago, riffraff said:

If WD used his timeout and then we got it too 4/4 it would be hard to find fault in the decision to have used the timeout at that time.  One could present the argument that the timeout reset the team and focused them to get it to 4/4.

as well, Miller is proving he struggles with focus after certain plays go against him/team. A timeout would have allowed Miller to collect himself, which imo, is something he really needs to work on anyway.

This game reminded me a bit of game 6 in Calgary when they started pouring it on, you are right WD should have taken a timeout after the 4th goal. Hind sight is hind sight but that might have settled them down a bit so they could get their crap together.

1) The own goal wasn't only Vey's fault. Edler got panic and just threw his stick around and made it impossible for Vey to control the puck. If Edler had just taken it calmer Vey would have controlled the puck. There was NO penguin even close, so Edler made a bad move.

2) Miller is not to blame cause of Vey/Edler and a very bad change. The 4th is just pure coincidence when Edler is screening him. 

WD should have taken a time out after the own goal to gather some calm!

But, we fought hard and almost played a very good game, so let's look forward! And oh, what a beauty by Horvat :-)

1 hour ago, riffraff said:

Good point...personally, I remember playing for the provincial championship, My team was a third period team, we just seemed to turn it on in the third (we became a different team...more focussed and had a desire to win). We were down 3 goals but started turning up the heat, we got a goal early in the third to make it a 2 goal game; the other team's coach called a time out, which took or momentum away...it took us awhile to get it (momentum) back...we made it a 1 goal game, but it was a little too late...

moral of the story...the coach recognised the situation and called a time out early in the third, which gave his team time to regroup...big reason they held on and won the game for the provincial title

2 hours ago, riffraff said:

I'm not saying you are wrong but you are ignoring the second part of my scenario. Anyway it's all water under the bridge now so we will never know.:(

On 1/24/2016 at 9:14 AM, Alflives said:

Actually I was carrying a noose, but I understand your sentiment.  Is Vey like a Tyler Bozek?  

Bozak was playing on the Leafs' first line who has reached his ceiling, while Vey is just a third liner on our team who is still learning the NHL game.  He has improved significantly from last year in terms of motivation and competitiveness.  Using his current point production rate, he can easily contribute 30-40 points for us over a full season, which is really good for someone playing on the third line.   He definitely needs to polish his game but I can live with those hiccups as this is only his sophomore year and he is showing signs of progress over the past few months. 

On the other hand, I also understand why you are upset with him.  I too agree that WD shouldn't play Vey too much and hopefully that will change with the return of Henrik & Sutter.  I think I can live with Vey playing 12 solid offensive minutes a game and produce ~0.42 points per game.  

On 1/23/2016 at 1:24 PM, Apricot said:

What...Miller? The guy has been killing it lately, today was just a bunch of unfortunate goals. Vey on the 3rd, and Edler screen on the 4th. He had a nice game. What's been annoying you about Miller lately?

I'm surprised and worried that the coaches haven't told that fool Edler to stay out of the way more often. For every half decent blocked shot there's a couple that get through and are extremely challenging for the goalies and 1 we get scored on it seems.

I'm thinking if coaches aren't smart enough to limit Edlers ice time when they need to hold a lead or tell him to get out of the way and let the goalie do what he's paid to do I would be amazed if Miller and Markstrom haven't told that clumsy clown to stay the fcuk out of the way let us see the damn puck lol

On 1/25/2016 at 9:19 PM, kchengc said:

Bozak was playing on the Leafs' first line who has reached his ceiling, while Vey is just a third liner on our team who is still learning the NHL game.  He has improved significantly from last year in terms of motivation and competitiveness.  Using his current point production rate, he can easily contribute 30-40 points for us over a full season, which is really good for someone playing on the third line.   He definitely needs to polish his game but I can live with those hiccups as this is only his sophomore year and he is showing signs of progress over the past few months. 

On the other hand, I also understand why you are upset with him.  I too agree that WD shouldn't play Vey too much and hopefully that will change with the return of Henrik & Sutter.  I think I can live with Vey playing 12 solid offensive minutes a game and produce ~0.42 points per game.  

That's my point.  I think Bozek is a good third line guy, but over matched up the line up.  Vey, is a late bloomer, who is just figuring out how he needs to play to be effective offensively, while not being a detriment defensively.  

Like you say, keep him on the third line, and have him play wing maybe with McCann at center?

Archived