The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Offer Sheet Seth Jones AND Ryan Murray

Just a reminder for everyone - we don't have our 3rd this year. We traded it along with Mallet for Pedan. So that means we can't offer sheet anyone with a value in the range of ~$3.65M-$9.13M or ~$1.21M-$1.82M since it'd require that 3rd as part (or all) of the compensation.

So unless we're offer sheeting someone at Stamkos-level salary, or someone around $2-3M (which would only require a second rounder) it's not likely to happen. Maybe Benning moves to get our 3rd back, but most offer sheets are unlikely to begin with so even if we do I don't see any of the suggested happening (Murray does not deserve a $7.3M offer sheet, wow).

14 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

Just a reminder for everyone - we don't have our 3rd this year. We traded it along with Mallet for Pedan. So that means we can't offer sheet anyone with a value in the range of ~$3.65M-$9.13M or ~$1.21M-$1.82M since it'd require that 3rd as part (or all) of the compensation.

So unless we're offer sheeting someone at Stamkos-level salary, or someone around $2-3M (which would only require a second rounder) it's not likely to happen. Maybe Benning moves to get our 3rd back, but most offer sheets are unlikely to begin with so even if we do I don't see any of the suggested happening (Murray does not deserve a $7.3M offer sheet, wow).

Good point about our 3rd. Maybe it can be used as a throw in by the Isles Hamonic deal

::D

29 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

The compensation draft picks would be for the 2016-2017 season. We'd have our picks available unless Pedan was 2017 3rd, at which point any significant offer sheet proposals are pretty much moot. 

Definitely worth pointing out though. Any 2017 draft pick Vancouver trades in the top three rounds will hamper their plans to offer sheet, if they decide to go that route. 

16 minutes ago, Kassassin213 said:

Sharks did this with nik hjalmarsson and then anti niemi from the Hawks. They still make trades and don't get their players targeted for offer sheets so might work without the repercussions thought 

Yeah I don't understand all this fear about offersheets. We've been offersheeted for Kesler by Philly but if the right deal comes along with Philly, it's not like we will say no... 

Stop being such chickens... 

We see offer sheets all the time and sometimes it goes through and sometimes it doesn't,  but contrary to popular belief, it does not hinder future trades. 

Same thing with trading UFAs. Yes if you sign and trade them right away it doesn't look good but if you trade them after a season when it clearly isn't working out, it's fine. I'm sure the player would want out as well rather than seeing his playing time diminished... If security was important, they would ask for an ntc... 

15 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Yeah I don't understand all this fear about offersheets. We've been offersheeted for Kesler by Philly but if the right deal comes along with Philly, it's not like we will say no... 

Stop being such chickens... 

We see offer sheets all the time and sometimes it goes through and sometimes it doesn't,  but contrary to popular belief, it does not hinder future trades. 

Same thing with trading UFAs. Yes if you sign and trade them right away it doesn't look good but if you trade them after a season when it clearly isn't working out, it's fine. I'm sure the player would want out as well rather than seeing his playing time diminished... If security was important, they would ask for an ntc... 

We don't see offer sheets "all the time". They're seldom used , and hardly ever successful (which is the biggest issue).

19 minutes ago, therodigy said:

The compensation draft picks would be for the 2016-2017 season. We'd have our picks available unless Pedan was 2017 3rd, at which point any significant offer sheet proposals are pretty much moot. 

Definitely worth pointing out though. Any 2017 draft pick Vancouver trades in the top three rounds will hamper their plans to offer sheet, if they decide to go that route. 

Sorry, yeah. It is the 2016 3rd.

1 minute ago, qwijibo said:

We don't see offer sheets "all the time". They're seldom used , and hardly ever successful (which is the biggest issue).

Bingo, and we do see bad blood between GMs over them, or at least some revenge offer sheets. Remember Burke and Lowe? How about when we offer sheeted Backes and St Louis turned around and offer sheeted Bernier?

For the amount of times they're actually successful (almost never) it really makes very little sense.

Yes you are correct that we seldom see it and when we do, it is usually matched. The reason for this is until recently, GMs would send out offers but structured the deal where it was easier to match. It's a kin to getting to kill a guy with a gun but instead of shooting him, trying to kill him by pistol whipping him.   What is 2.5m for Backes? Ofcourse they would match. They would be stupid not to. Only recently have we started seeing deals structured with a purpose like the Weber deal. It took Nashville 5 days to figure out what to do... Also  does it really impact future trades? Philly had tried to poach kesler and Weber but would the canucks or preds not trade with Philly if it made sense?  If a trade makes sense for both teams, a GM would be unprofessional not to go through with it if it improves his hockey club. 

The offersheet proposal to Columbus actually has a high chance of going through because the way I would do it would be 

Offer Boone Jenner a decent and  fair amount but front load it. Columbus matches. Then offer Seth Jones 7.3 front loaded. They will match it. Offer Ryan Murray 7.3 front loaded. 

They will not match it. If they do, they are pretty much playing like a big market team and they clearly are not.  

They already have almost 9m tied up on Johnson and Tyutin. Are they going to add 14.6 more in D salary so that they are spending almost 24M on 4 d-men? If they do, they will most likely try to move Johnson or Tyutin but who's going to give them fair value when everyone knows they are trying to unload one? 

For those that say Murray is not worth it, this is his first healthy year. Prior to this season, he's only played approximately 70 games in 2 seasons. However this season, had he been a Canuck, he would be 2nd in D scoring behind Edler. He's also 7 years younger than Edler to boot. 

Seth Jones is the shiny new toy but if we can grab Murray for 7M, we will be laughing in 2 years. There is a cloud of uncertainty about him because of his first 2 seasons but he has not indicated anywhere that he will always be riddled with injuries. 

I believe the injuries are behind him and if he continues to stay healthy and play like a 2nd overall pick, it is definitely worth a shot. It would also greatly accelerate the rebuild/retool. 

Also if we front load all 3 offers, where will Columbus get the capital to pay 29m(ish) on 3 players

Jones (12.5m first year), Murray (12.5m),Jenner (4m)

Annual cap hits would be 7.3,7.3,and 2.5

21 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

CBJ would match and JB's reputation would take a hit. Offer sheets are looked down upon in NHL. JB is a meat and potatoes kinda guy and he'd never do something like that.

On top of this it'll be open season on Horvat, Virtanen, McCann and Hutton when they become RFA.

Meat and potatoes kind of guy? Please get out of here with that garbage. Benning drafts snipers. Every one of his picks has had their shot ranked at the top of the list of prospects. That's the furthers thing from meat and potatoes kind of guy if you ask me.

1 minute ago, Aleksander Barkov said:

Meat and potatoes kind of guy? Please get out of here with that garbage. Benning drafts snipers. Every one of his picks has had their shot ranked at the top of the list of prospects. That's the furthers thing from meat and potatoes kind of guy if you ask me.

First of all the "meat and potatoes" reference completely flew over your head. It has nothing to do with a player being able to shoot.

Second, you've been here for a week and your telling people who've been part of this community for many many years to get out of here. You need to check yourself before you wreck yourself fool.

1 minute ago, WHL rocks said:

First of all the "meat and potatoes" reference completely flew over your head. It has nothing to do with a player being able to shoot.

Second, you've been here for a week and your telling people who've been part of this community for many many years to get out of here. You need to check yourself before you wreck yourself fool.

Yes it does have everything to do with being a meat and potatoes guy or not. A meat and potatoes kind of guy would not prioritize a prospects shot above everything else.

Secondly I didn't tell him to get "get out of here" as in out of this thread. If you can read you would see that i was talking about him using that phrase. I said "get out of here with that garbage" lol that was aimed at the phrase itself not the poster.  Maybe I wasn't clear enough but that's what I meant.

Archived