The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Sens 3, Nucks 5

TheRussianRocket.

2 hours ago, RWMc1 said:

[Report] Canucks shopping Vey, Bartkowski, Kenins, Cracknell, Higgins, Prust and Weber

Well Cracknell is one guy they should keep. Of course he has been scoring of late so they had to bench him so Vey could play. What I kept hearing by the broadcast is Vey doing what they called "fly bys". Cracknell and Kenins are guys they should keep, they have grit. The rest can go.

16 hours ago, PrinceGeorgeGoon said:

Grandlund will work his way onto our second line with Baert and Bo. 

Hammer will either stay put, OR go full Rental like a champ after having the worst injury of his career , then come back after ND sign for 2 mill X2 seasons. 

He will retire in B.C As he is from smithers and is part owner of the Prince George Cougars. I would bet he has always planned to retire in.B.C.

We will dish Hansen and Etem can jump from 1st to second line.

We will draft 4th. Throwing some guesses around here. Cmon Big Jim Benning. 

P.S I love you.

I like everything except drafting fourth -- Horvat, Hutt, Baer, Virt and now Etem  and Granlund did not seem to get the memo about tanking.

My fear is "loosie goosie" syndrome that Don Cherry mentions: the Canucks know the odds are against leap-frogging enough teams to make the playoffs and they are therefore playing with no pressure, just enjoying playing the game well for themselves and for a coach they don't want to see canned.  They could easily beat some teams that underrate them -- LA, 2 of SJ games etc.  My hope is that this doesn't get to the point of missing a top 8 draft pick.

1 hour ago, Googlie said:

i am a big Vey fan ... I've compared him to a young Larianov (whom I saw regularly on a hockey hilites package when he first joined the Red Army team), but ....

I think Zalewski is a natural 4th line center, and because we could return him to Utica sans waivers, he went down instead of Vey - or McCann being returned to Junior.  He pleasantly surprised everyone on his call-up;

Compared to Vey, he's bigger, faster, younger, better at face-offs, shoots more, better shot conversion % and a better PPG ratio (in comparing both in Utica)

I'd say that Z was our 4th best center.

Disagree, if they liked him so much they would have waived Cracknell, since he would have cleared and was slated for Utica when he was signed. They didn't want Z sitting in the press box, so they sent him back. I'm not saying that he won't eventually be a 4th line center, but with the injuries, they needed a third line center.  Z wasn't ready for that responsibility and Vey was playing NHL caliber 3rd line hockey.

One other thought, there's a difference between being 4th best center and the team's best 4th line center.  The 4th best center can play up and down the lineup as Vey has done between the 2nd and 4th lines. The best 4th line center is more limited to 3rd and 4th line duty. Right now Z is probably seen as the 6th best center in the organization behind McCann.

If we win won next 3 and mini won next 3.  If colorado didnt play before we completed those games. We would be tied for games played at 63 with Colorado and mini at 68 points and the canucks at 66 points just 2  points (3 for tiebreak i guess) out of the playoff picture.  

It appears the teams ahead of us are struggling to take a lead in the wildcard standings.

As it stands now:

63 games in Colorado has 68 points

61 games in Minnesoda has 64 points

60 games in Vancouver has 60 points

61 games in Arizona has 60 points.

Just saying

Granlund looked ok. Made some nice passes. He did get knocked down a lot though. Easily as much as shrink did in his game up. Granlund put himself in some good areas though, seems smart. Hopefully wd can light a fire in him and get him working hard like vey. 

Just now, austy said:

Granlund looked ok. Made some nice passes. He did get knocked down a lot though. Easily as much as shrink did in his game up. Granlund put himself in some good areas though, seems smart. Hopefully wd can light a fire in him and get him working hard like vey. 

:lol: that's too funny!  It was a fun game to watch though.  Playing Vey on wing with a really good two way centre - Granlund - was excellent.  The line did well, and Granlund was a plus three.  

7 hours ago, gameburn said:

You're on to something there: he doesn't seem to fit in with the way the team is playing now, nor with the team's future.  Lately, when there's pushing after the whistle, and the goalie needs to be defended, it's not Dorsett doing it anyway.  Also, he leads the league in penalty minutes!!!  Lol -- Burrows without the goals!! (Albeit, Burr is w.o. goals too, but that's a different topic.)

I feel his antics are setting a bad example for the young guys, he even gets into scrums after the Canucks score goals, just tired of seeing it all the time.

Regarding Burr, well I've said this for years he was never a skilled offensive type player, playing with the Sedins just like anyone who plays with the Sedins will make any player look offensively better, it's been proven too many times before. It also falls onto his contract as well, if he was being paid 2-2.5M no one would care he would be a valuable asset, it's the fact he is now making 4.5M and can't produce offensively on his own. It's a crappy situation for him unfortunately.

12 hours ago, austy said:

Every player is an individual and therefore not easily compared outside of stats. 

That being said when you look at the numbers baertschi put up before joining the flames, then you look at the broken castaway we picked up, then look once more at the blossoming talent,  the man getting back to his high talent style.... 

Grandlund came out of the same system.. 

I would argue for what ever reason (I have a few ideas) Calgary does not get the most out of most of their players.  Baertschi could be an anomaly, but, I'm willing to bet my skivies grandlund is closer to his bottom than top of his potential.

I see an opportunity to pick up players from an extremely disfunctional Edmonton team as well.

Archived