The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How will the goalie equipment changes affect Ryan Miller?

Noseforthenet

These stupid changes to induce scoring are stupid. You wanna make the league more exciting? 

Get rid of all the free loading southern teams that can't make a profit an their own. Contract the league to 21-24 teams. This will drastically strengthen the league wide talent pool. More talent in a smaller space has gotta mean more goals. 

Now that all the parasite franchises are gone, we can throw the stupid salary cap out the window.  

Bang, 1980's NHL all over again. 

2 hours ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

...and fans equate goals with entertainment. Watching great saves is entertaining too however, watching oversized goalies simply block everything fired at them is not.  over-length pads allow goalies to eliminate the f5 hole.  Oversized shoulder pads that are inches above the shoulder allow goalies to block off the top of the nest while in the butterfly.  Ridiculously large and oversized chest protectors and arm protectors covered by over-sized jerseys eliminate the space below the arm creating a solid wall for stopping shots. Thicker padding on the chest will do more to prevent injury than padding that sticks out 5" on either side of a goalies  body and won't interfere with fair play.

Same with the XXL pants all goalies wear even though most are literally swimming in pants that size but they sure cover up a lot of the net.  Width of pads is another area that has nothing to do with goalie safety and all about stopping pucks.

As for source...don't be so lazy...go to Sportsnet and watch the segments on this.  They show pretty clearly how the equipment can be downsized to achieve their goals without increasing risk to goaltenders.

Managers are behind this, coaches and goalies such as Cory Schneider who all believe the equipment has been used to allow lesser talented goalies to put up numbers beyond their abilities and to close the gap with the true elite tenders.

You can take a look at Cory HIrsch's segment to see what he proposes...none of that exposes goaltenders to higher risk of injury but it sure does leave more room for pucks to get past.

Also...I did not quote anyone in my post but paraphrased from watching/reading various programs/articles. 

As someone else mentioned - they already took care of the length of the leg pads several years ago.

How about this angle, not all goalies are the same size - a 6'5" will cover more net than one who is 6'0".

That gives the taller goalie an unfair advantage, so why can't a shorter goalie have extra shoulder size?

Or are we going to set height restrictions for goalies to make it fair for everyone? (your fair play comment above)

Maybe each goalie should be measured after gear is on and have to fit a silhouette for size - kind of like when you fly and your carry on luggage must fit inside the carriers luggage rack. ;) 

I don't know about today's pants, but when I played - they had no give - so you needed to wear XXL or XXXL ones just so you could stretch your legs out fully.

4 minutes ago, Heretic said:

As someone else mentioned - they already took care of the length of the leg pads several years ago.

How about this angle, not all goalies are the same size - a 6'5" will cover more net than one who is 6'0".

That gives the taller goalie an unfair advantage, so why can't a shorter goalie have extra shoulder size?

Or are we going to set height restrictions for goalies to make it fair for everyone? (your fair play comment above)

Maybe each goalie should be measured after gear is on and have to fit a silhouette for size - kind of like when you fly and your carry on luggage must fit inside the carriers luggage rack. ;) 

I don't know about today's pants, but when I played - they had no give - so you needed to wear XXL or XXXL ones just so you could stretch your legs out fully.

I would love to see you try your "silhouette size" idea with the NHL goalies.  I'm sure the response would be positive. :lol:

Bigger players are bigger.  Theoretically, bigger goalies are less agile than smaller ones so advantage in movement to the little guy.  Lots of variation in skaters' sizes...should we let smaller players use higher skates so they can match the height of the competition? 

As for pads, I believe they took an inch off the length and something off the width.  They are still significantly longer and wider than in the past...made possible because technology has also made them so much lighter.

With pants...as Corey Hirsch said, you are aloud to wear up to a certain size regardless of how big you are.  For Miller who is built like a lawn rake to wear the same pants size is ridiculous.  I think it is possible and preferable for all equipment to be made to fit to the contour of the goalie's body.  Bigger goalies will take up more room though a short fat goalie will likely cover as much net as a tall skinny one (Miller).   If having large immobile goalies is what works best, we will be seeing lots of tall, fat goalies in the future.

I didn't read the Miller interview as him giving it the thumbs down at all.

The way I saw it was that Miller wanted a proper consultation process with the players who were going to wear the equipment and to not rush the implementation.  It's perfectly reasonable and in the end both sides will get what they want: safety and more goals.  Hersch's proposal looks fine to me but I'm not a goalie.  Why wouldn't they want to do this right?  It'll take a full year rather than just a summer.  So what.

Miller was injured in practice when he had equipment changes foisted on him in the past and he missed a significant amount of time.

Ultimately, we'll see a bigger statistical difference between the best and worst goalies.

Archived