The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Discussion) Draft Day Blockbusters

What would it take for any team to acquire both Finns at the draft this year? As an example, suppose a miracle happened and the Canucks ended up with the third overall selection, what would you have to give up to get the second selection? Assume Tor, Edm, Car, Buff, Columbus, Cal, and/or Ari are drafting above us. 

I think acquiring both would be huge for any franchise as it was for us when we took the Sedins back to back. Make up some scenarios if you wish.

Long time reader,

Just wondering...

I would imagine a package of 2 1st's and 2 2nds and even then you still might have to add a prospect.  Not sure if it's worth it but I would most definitely trade for the 4th of 5th if I had a top 3 pick and get Laine and Churchyn(sp?).  This team really needs to upgrade it's D core but if you got a top 3 pick you take the BPA.

10 minutes ago, hsidhu said:

What would it take for any team to acquire both Finns at the draft this year? As an example, suppose a miracle happened and the Canucks ended up with the third overall selection, what would you have to give up to get the second selection? Assume Tor, Edm, Car, Buff, Columbus, Cal, and/or Ari are drafting above us. 

I think acquiring both would be huge for any franchise as it was for us when we took the Sedins back to back. Make up some scenarios if you wish.

Long time reader,

Just wondering...

You are speaking about the Brian Burke deal to get the Twins in '99.  That cost us a very good young D in Bryan McCabe.  It would be great to get both Finns, but the cost would be crazy. 

I think only the oilers have the chance to do that. 

If they win a top 3 pick they have the assets to move in order to pick up the other the other fin.   

Imagine if Oilers win #2 and CBJ wins #3.  Oilers could send RNH and another piece to the bluejackets for their pick.  CBJ would get their number one center they now are looking for,  Oilers get to draft both fins.  Then they could still trade Eberle and Yak for D help.....Aka Hamonic

Imagine a future of

Hall Mcdavid UFA

Puljaravi Draisaitl Laine

Nurse Hamonic

Klefbom Reinhart

2 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

If they win a top 3 pick they have the assets to move in order to pick up the other the other fin.   

Imagine if Oilers win #2 and CBJ wins #3.  Oilers could send RNH and another piece to the bluejackets for their pick.  CBJ would get their number one center they now are looking for,  Oilers get to draft both fins.  Then they could still trade Eberle and Yak for D help.....Aka Hamonic

Imagine a future of

Hall Mcdavid UFA

Puljaravi Draisaitl Laine

Nurse Hamonic

Klefbom Reinhart

RNH is not of that value - not even adding.  Columbus would expect Nurse too, if it's RNH.  IMHAO these top draft picks won't get traded, because their costs are just too crazy high now, thanks to the salary cap.

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

You are speaking about the Brian Burke deal to get the Twins in '99.  That cost us a very good young D in Bryan McCabe.  It would be great to get both Finns, but the cost would be crazy. 

Yes but looking back, that draft/trades gave us the best players (debateable/bure) in Canucks history.

Do you consider anything if a GM calls you up with the second pick asking for hutton/tanev as one of many pieces while you have the third selection?

5 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Imagine a future of

Hall Mcdavid UFA

Puljaravi Leon Laine

Nurse Hamonic

Klefbom Reinhart

Yeah that is plausible but I think depending on their draft position, they trade down to acquire more assets as they might feel they don't need another top prospect. Worth the risk

2 minutes ago, hsidhu said:

Yes but looking back, that draft/trades gave us the best players (debateable/bure) in Canucks history.

Do you consider anything if a GM calls you up with the second pick asking for hutton/tanev as one of many pieces while you have the third selection?

If Tanev + McCann gets us the second Finn it's done in a millisecond.  But it would cost more.  IMHAO

24 minutes ago, Alflives said:

RNH is not of that value - not even adding.  Columbus would expect Nurse too, if it's RNH.  IMHAO these top draft picks won't get traded, because their costs are just too crazy high now, thanks to the salary cap.

You keep getting fur in your eyes and it's blocking your vision.  RNH is valuable.  He's 22 years old and already has amassed over 200 points.  Henrik had even cracked a 40 points season by the time he was 22.  A RNH and Jenner would be an exciting 1-2 punch for bluejacket fans.  You seem to have this idea in your head that if a player isn't big and physical they are worthless.   Good thing the rest of the league don't follow that belief

56 minutes ago, hsidhu said:

Long time reader,

Just wondering...

Hint:  Both Calgary and Edmonton need goaltending

Maybe if we get the 2nd and the jets get the 3rd we could do this?

TO VAN

3rd OA

TO WPG

Edler

McCann

2017 1st (top 3 protected)

2017 2nd

2016 2nd/3rd (Vey trade)

Sedin Sedin Hansen

Baertschi Horvat Virtanen

Laine Granlund Puljujarvi - "Finnish line"

Gaunce Sutter Burrows

Hutton Tanev

Hamhuis Tryamkin

Pedan Sbisa

Miller 

Markstrom

Realistically it would cost too much and devastate this franchise. But for the sake of a proposal:

To Van: 3rd OA

To Edm: Ben Hutton Jared McCann 2017 1st 2018 1st

Personnaly I would rather not make a deal but if it were to go down it might look something like that

2 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

You keep getting fur in your eyes and it's blocking your vision.  RNH is valuable.  He's 22 years old and already has amassed over 200 points.  Henrik had even cracked a 40 points season by the time he was 22.  A RNH and Jenner would be an exciting 1-2 punch for bluejacket fans.  You seem to have this idea in your head that if a player isn't big and physical they are worthless.   Good thing the rest of the league don't follow that belief

You don't think Edmonton tried to get Jones in that Ryan Johanson deal?  RNH plays a very light game.  I would love him here on our team.  I think he would compliment Bo very nicely.  I don't see him as a top # 1 though.  IMHAO, with fur in my eyes.

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

You don't think Edmonton tried to get Jones in that Ryan Johanson deal?  RNH plays a very light game.  I would love him here on our team.  I think he would compliment Bo very nicely.  I don't see him as a top # 1 though.  IMHAO, with fur in my eyes.

I would be happy if we could make a package of McCann Sbisa+ for RNH i think that would make a huge difference in our future

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Yea he definetly is not a no 1 C, especially in the West. Kopitar, Toews, Getzlaf eat this kid up

He is small and fragile, as his injury history suggests, a good no 2 option but if you are thinking of getting a top 3 pick for him this year, no way. In a playoff series he will probably wear down

6 hours ago, Alflives said:

Jones in a future stud d and already making a impact in the NHL. Those picks haven't even played a single game in the NHL. Realistically a sound goal for the fins would be to become top line players putting up around a ppg. That's what you hope they become. RNH is already putting up .70 ppg and he's only 22. He will get more weight on him. Henrik sedin and backstrom aren't physical they also seem to be pretty solid #1 centers.  Again RNH has crushed the offensive production of Henrik sedin at the same age. 

You are stuck in thinking that a kopitar & getzlaf is the only type of mold that teams build around.  Most teams would line up at the chance to get RNH on there team. Is not like the oilers didn't know the player they were getting at 1st overall. Cbj already has a young bull in Jenner. He becomes the cbj Kesler and RNH becomes there Henrik. Only they difference is they have a top d to build around as well. 

And since you dont like to use any sort of hockey knowledge. What benefits the cbj more giving there current state. Do they need another prospect that will take time to develop. Or do they need to quickly become a playoff revenue team. The fact that you think that it would take RNH + nurse to get in the top 3 is hilarious. When I said rnh plus. I didn't mean a young stud D.  Nurse is on his way to already becoming a top d. But what do I expect from someone who isn't from this planet. 

4 hours ago, SaintPatrick33 said:

Yea he definetly is not a no 1 C, especially in the West. Kopitar, Toews, Getzlaf eat this kid up

He is small and fragile, as his injury history suggests, a good no 2 option but if you are thinking of getting a top 3 pick for him this year, no way. In a playoff series he will probably wear down

How many kopitar toews types are there?  How often do they come around? I guess teams without them  teams should just give up and not try to build until they luck out and find one. This fan base gets so infactuated by some player. If you're not Crosby or toews your garbage. Why did the sedins even try with only Henrik as a number one center. Why would Canucks even drafted two players who aren't big and physical. It's the same thing with edler. RNH would be a #1 on 1/3 of the teams in this league. And he's only 22. 

10 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Jones in a future stud d and already making a impact in the NHL. Those picks haven't even played a single game in the NHL. Realistically a sound goal for the fins would be to become top line players putting up around a ppg. That's what you hope they become. RNH is already putting up .70 ppg and he's only 22. He will get more weight on him. Henrik sedin and backstrom aren't physical they also seem to be pretty solid #1 centers.  Again RNH has crushed the offensive production of Henrik sedin at the same age. 

You are stuck in thinking that a kopitar & getzlaf is the only type of mold that teams build around.  Most teams would line up at the chance to get RNH on there team. Is not like the oilers didn't know the player they were getting at 1st overall. Cbj already has a young bull in Jenner. He becomes the cbj Kesler and RNH becomes there Henrik. Only they difference is they have a top d to build around as well. 

And since you dont like to use any sort of hockey knowledge. What benefits the cbj more giving there current state. Do they need another prospect that will take time to develop. Or do they need to quickly become a playoff revenue team. The fact that you think that it would take RNH + nurse to get in the top 3 is hilarious. When I said rnh plus. I didn't mean a young stud D.  Nurse is on his way to already becoming a top d. But what do I expect from someone who isn't from this planet. 

How many kopitar toews types are there?  How often do they come around? I guess teams without them  teams should just give up and not try to build until they luck out and find one. This fan base gets so infactuated by some player. If you're not Crosby or toews your garbage. Why did the sedins even try with only Henrik as a number one center. Why would Canucks even drafted two players who aren't big and physical. It's the same thing with edler. RNH would be a #1 on 1/3 of the teams in this league. And he's only 22. 

I like RNH too, but he was paid too much too soon.  He produces no where near the number he's paid on the cap.  There is a lot more to the game than collecting points.  With True # 1 centres, the coach need not worry about match ups and zone starts.  RNH is not that type of centre.  He's the level below that.  Because he's so soft, he needs to be over a ppg producer, which he is not.

saying all this, I do like him.  If we could get him for Edler, or Tanev I would do that.  RNH and Bo would be a very good combination. Bo could take all the heavy lifting.

Archived