The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] 8 straight losses :]

TheRussianRocket.

5 hours ago, amitriptyline said:

Its been a disappointing season for sure, but this rebuild is imperative for the future of the team. Its been delayed for far too long, and that's is why its necessary for such a massive influx of youth at unprecedented levels all at once. I'd rather get it over with as soon as possible in an accelerated rebuild than a long drawn out one. We want to make use of the Sedins as much as we can while they are still around, so we need to get things underway in double quick time. Despite all the losing, there's are some positive things going on.

Tryamkin is playing great and is just the type of player the Canucks need. A big strong presence. He looks like a keeper. Baertschi's has been playing well too and is turning into the top six player the Canucks hoped he would. And of course most importantly, the upcoming draft. Getting a top 5 pick for the first time since the Sedins were drafted will do wonders for the team. Benning is the right guy for it too, his strength is scouting/drafting and he has a good eye for talent. If he can make great picks like Boeser, Demko, McCann, Tryamkin, Brisebois...etc.. in later rounds, imagine what he could do with a top 5 pick, maybe even 2 or 3rd overall. I honestly see the fortunes turning around soon for this team and a bright future ahead. 

Don't expect a full on youth movement next year.  The results in the last month have been a disaster.

The youth are coming of course but more slowly.  Maintaining team structure with veterans is what Benning will do.  Development in a competitive environment is the plan.

1 hour ago, chilliwiggins said:

you keep comparing internally, they are the lowest scoring team in the league, they have to improve and in order to do that they have to upgrade roster spots because there isn't a player below horvat and bear that appears to have a higher ceiling, or at least the possibility of a break out season.   come on Baggins the team needs to get better, obviously you like this player, but its just a numbers game, he isn't taking horvats ,sutters or hanks spot, so that leaves the 4th spot , which he is so miscast in that its obvious hes the odd man out.   And no he isn't a winger for the pacific division.   he can go into the corners with the puck, but he doesn't go into the corners without the puck and come out with it.  again not his game.  like I said there is many many players in the AHL and other leagues that compare equally to him, so keep rotating fringe players like them till you hit on one , or sign a legitimate center.  It has to be done.

It's a numbers game for center position and also for the number of smallish, non-physical players you can have on a team in this division.

I watched SJS and LA go at it last night and it was a war.  There were 77 hits half way though the third and they weren't Chris Higgins hits where you brush the player and hit the boards...these were Brent Burns, Brown and Carter hits where a 220lbs + guy slams you into the boards and almost pushes you through the glass.

The Nucks are not even close to being built to withstand a series against teams like that.  Tryamkin, Pedan, Jake ( in time) etc. are needed along with other larger, more physical forwards.

We have the Sedins, Baer, Vrbata, Vey. McCann etc.  In a series, we would be the walking wounded the way we were against Boston in 2011.  YOu can have a couple smaller guys as long as they are tenacious, fearless and durable but to stand up to the  physical abuse of the Pacific Division, you need size and toughness.  Vey doesn't bring enough offensively to off-set the fact he is a perimeter player. 

5 minutes ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

It's a numbers game for center position and also for the number of smallish, non-physical players you can have on a team in this division.

I watched SJS and LA go at it last night and it was a war.  There were 77 hits half way though the third and they weren't Chris Higgins hits where you brush the player and hit the boards...these were Brent Burns, Brown and Carter hits where a 220lbs + guy slams you into the boards and almost pushes you through the glass.

The Nucks are not even close to being built to withstand a series against teams like that.  Tryamkin, Pedan, Jake ( in time) etc. are needed along with other larger, more physical forwards.

We have the Sedins, Baer, Vrbata, Vey. McCann etc.  In a series, we would be the walking wounded the way we were against Boston in 2011.  YOu can have a couple smaller guys as long as they are tenacious, fearless and durable but to stand up to the  physical abuse of the Pacific Division, you need size and toughness.  Vey doesn't bring enough offensively to off-set the fact he is a perimeter player. 

Oh like a sbisa hit! Too bad no one likes him for some ofd reason.

Just now, Gooseberries said:

Oh like a sbisa hit! Too bad no one likes him for some ofd reason.

Agreed.  He has been the only physical D-man we have until Pedan and Tryamkin came on the scene.  I know he has the odd brain fart but he is a physical force and we need it badly.  I think he has improved a lot this year. 

18 minutes ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

Van is in the early stages of rebuilding, so those guys you mention will be 34-36yrs old by the time the Canucks are contenders. 

Obviously the smaller skilled guys have their place on a winning team (Chicago), but Van has too many.  Sedins will likely be gone by the time Nucks are contenders.  I think management hangs onto Baer and maybe McCann; the others will be gone.

Smaller players have to be very quick with high hockey sense and an awareness of opposition players on the ice.  Those are the guys that don't get hit, but score a lot of goals.

39 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Van is in the early stages of rebuilding, so those guys you mention will be 34-36yrs old by the time the Canucks are contenders. 

Obviously the smaller skilled guys have their place on a winning team (Chicago), but Van has too many.  Sedins will likely be gone by the time Nucks are contenders.  I think management hangs onto Baer and maybe McCann; the others will be gone.

Smaller players have to be very quick with high hockey sense and an awareness of opposition players on the ice.  Those are the guys that don't get hit, but score a lot of goals.

Agreed.  I think the mold for the California teams is pretty much set...large, fast two-way players who hit and grind .  They are drafting in this way and will likely continue to do so.  No room for perimeter players though as yo mention, a couple of really fast and talented smaller forwards can still work.

It' s not just about the ability to hit, but to absorb the physical punishment over a 7 game series.

4 hours ago, chilliwiggins said:

you keep comparing internally, they are the lowest scoring team in the league, they have to improve and in order to do that they have to upgrade roster spots because there isn't a player below horvat and bear that appears to have a higher ceiling, or at least the possibility of a break out season.   come on Baggins the team needs to get better, obviously you like this player, but its just a numbers game, he isn't taking horvats ,sutters or hanks spot, so that leaves the 4th spot , which he is so miscast in that its obvious hes the odd man out.   And no he isn't a winger for the pacific division.   he can go into the corners with the puck, but he doesn't go into the corners without the puck and come out with it.  again not his game.  like I said there is many many players in the AHL and other leagues that compare equally to him, so keep rotating fringe players like them till you hit on one , or sign a legitimate center.  It has to be done.

You haven't been watching. He has been coming away with the puck. Until these better players with higher ceiling come along what should we use? Should we let a guy who now has some value walk away? What is Veys ceiling? He's not exactly old you know and he's better than much of what we currently have in the system including McCann. Until we get better young players coming up through development we need players to fill the gap. We don't need a puppy mill here constantly rolling over mediocre fringe prospects and crossing our fingers. Vey has at least shown he has some talent. Might as well see were it goes until something better comes along. You would have cut Naslund and Bertuzzi walk for nothing because they were mid 20's before they broke out. No patience. I suspect you suffer from EA syndrome.

27 minutes ago, chilliwiggins said:

LOL no you could see what naslund and bertuzzi had before they broke out.    even in pittsburg and new York you could see raw talent of the both of them.    same with peca, etc, hes another druken  blah blah blah..   they have cap space and they need to use some of that on the centerice position.            Horvat hasn't even shown a season of consistency yet but your pumping up veys tires like hes the next big thing its almost laughable.   he had more then enough time to show hes worth another contract and he hasn't done that.   Hes the first of a few busts I see forthcoming on this current roster.  Etems next     

Not pumping anything. I see potential. That's all. Stick to EA kid.

6 hours ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

I watched that too. It didn't take long to see how far behind the 8-ball the Canucks are in comparison, especially in intensity and physicality.

13 minutes ago, Jack Fig said:

I watched that too. It didn't take long to see how far behind the 8-ball the Canucks are in comparison, especially in intensity and physicality.

Yup.  I was shocked watching the intensity, speed and amount of physicality.  All I Could think of is how we would have had a steady stream of players being hauled off the ice to the infirmary.

1 hour ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

Yup.  I was shocked watching the intensity, speed and amount of physicality.  All I Could think of is how we would have had a steady stream of players being hauled off the ice to the infirmary.

Yeah, the pace was fast too. Short shifts, high energy, everybody strong on the puck, everyone finishing their check. Great entertainment. 

Archived