The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What are we getting in Gudbranson?

xereau

This is exactly the type of player I have been wanting the 'Nucks to acquire. Go back and look at a couple of my earlier posts relevant to this position - "We need a Dman that will keep the crease clear of the opposition, and scare the s**t out of our opponents". Guess what we just got!!

A high price was paid, and it would be really nice to have the 2nd for Torts this year, after trading the 33rd pick, but...you have to pay high to get quality, especially for a player that is not exactly common. Don't know if he will becoming the 2nd coming of Bieksa, but if he ends up a steady 5+ goal, 15-20 point player, I will be just fine with him. Let him play the "stay home" role, and let Hutton be the puck mover that records a bunch of 40-50 point years.

On May 26, 2016 at 8:34 PM, J.R. said:

I'd easily take the risk of moving Sbisa or absolutely worst case risking Pedan on waivers (try and 'Markstrom' him and Biega early in the preseason) to have something like these D cores:

Edler, Tanev

Hutton, Gudbranson

Hamhuis, Tryamkin

Sbisa/Pedan, Larsen

or 

Yandle, Gudbranson

Edler, Tanev

Hutton, Tryamkin

Sbisa/Pedan, Larsen

Maybe JB will 'Sangenetti' Larsen He was injured and largely an unknown having played in Russia for a few years. 

He could slip thru, give Utica a boost, if he isn't up to the job at the NHL level, he can rack up points in Utica and give posters a reason to rant and rave for next season. 

Pedan and Beiga are more known quanties in NA, they might get scooped. 

On 5/28/2016 at 0:28 AM, Kraken70 said:

The more I watch Gudbranson Highlights, the more I'm loving this deal. He is the perfect mentor to bring out the aggression in a kid like Tryamkin, who looked a little timid at times. JB is building a monster blue line that is going to be a force to be reckoned with in the near future.

The only thing left on my wish list for our defense is to re-sign Hammer.

I don’t get it. There is a major premium on right-hand defensemen in the NHL right now, they are coveted. O.k., so that explains the big return we got for Guds. But THIS team was built around defense. The whole system was focused on team defense. Your talking about the D man Gallant went to in the playoffs- averaging over 26 minutes a game. His D-Zone start % was 70+% in the playoffs (Shane says I should not use hockey-reference.com, but even at his recommendation of corsica, Gudbranson was far, far and away our D man with most heavily focused D-zone start rate).

Last night Willie Mitchell posted a "WTF" with face in hands on twitter. What are they doing with team chemistry that was so noteworthy last year that even NHL writers elsewhere noted it?

Just to touch on stats, you can not expect Gudbranson to have good Corsi, or points when he was used exclusively against top opponents in the D-zone. Watching games didn’t anyone notice that once in transition up ice he was always swapped? How do you expect his stats to be good on those fronts? Watch the games.

Finally, we are left with a gaping hole on the right side. We all love Matheson, but he must go through the same trials and tribulations all young D men go through. Ekblad had regression last season and he was still heavily protected in zone starts. So now you need to protect Ekblad, Petrovic, and Matheson. You may lose Campbell. I like Kampfer and Kulikov, but if your counting on them, don’t they suffer from similar "production" problems as Gudbranson?

They are trying to sign McCoshen, I love that kid, but he needs time to develop. Weever has not been an AHL stand out. Olsen played the left side. Kinda? Gallant showed a lot of confidence in him eh? So go get an overpriced guy in the free agent market? We already noted prices will be very high on free agent D-men for the Oilers, why does anyone expect it will be different for us?

I fear we have crippled what got us through last season for a high-talent prospect 3rd line contributor, and draft picks that will yield results down the road. Thats great, but defense wins games and championships.

The quote from the Panthers forum just sums up what I think we will be getting, a younger, bigger and nastier version of Willie Mitchel which is great for this team. Tanev and Gudbranson's defensive game would balance nicely with Edler and Hutton's offensive approach to the game. Not to mention Tryamkin would be paired with either Sbisa or maybe Hamhuis on the third pairing to slowly develop his game. 

We really needed a right handed D-man and we got that along with physicality, size and a mean streak. Now JB needs to see if he can land a PMD for the PP or will he just take a wait and approach see with guys like Hutton, Stecher and Tryamkin in the lineup next season. If we can land Barrie, we could claim to have one of the best young D-cores in the league.

3 hours ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

Maybe JB will 'Sangenetti' Larsen He was injured and largely an unknown having played in Russia for a few years. 

He could slip thru, give Utica a boost, if he isn't up to the job at the NHL level, he can rack up points in Utica and give posters a reason to rant and rave for next season. 

Pedan and Beiga are more known quanties in NA, they might get scooped. 

He probably won't report to Utica.  Also, after his year in Europe, he's not really under the radar.  Sanguinetti never had anything like Larsen's success this year.

12 minutes ago, DefCon1 said:

The quote from the Panthers forum just sums up what I think we will be getting, a younger, bigger and nastier version of Willie Mitchel which is great for this team. Tanev and Gudbranson's defensive game would balance nicely with Edler and Hutton's offensive approach to the game. Not to mention Tryamkin would be paired with either Sbisa or maybe Hamhuis on the third pairing to slowly develop his game. 

We really needed a right handed D-man and we got that along with physicality, size and a mean streak. Now JB needs to see if he can land a PMD for the PP or will he just take a wait and approach see with guys like Hutton, Stecher and Tryamkin in the lineup next season. If we can land Barrie, we could claim to have one of the best young D-cores in the league.

Thanks for that quote.  It really sheds some light.

After next season, Kulikov, Kindle, Ekblad and Petrovic's contracts are all expiring.  The new GM in Florida had to pick one of the D to move because he won't be able to pay them all.  Fortunately for the Canuncks, Gudbranson drew the short straw.

I think that Benning has hopes for offense from Larsen on the back end.

One of the down sides to Gudbranson is that he has had some very questionable hits.  We all know what that means, right?  As soon as he puts on a Canucks jersey, he will be punished much more severely by the league for any future infractions.  I also fully expect him to take a large number of penalties for being bigger than the opposition.

Archived