The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What are we getting in Gudbranson?

xereau

13 minutes ago, chon derry said:

prust 6'0" 195 32 yrs old  gudbranson 6'5" 225 25 yrs old  prust never wanted to come here ,or i should say his woman never wanted him here, conversly @guddy44's twitter acct,"can't wait to get started" ,     apples and oranges.

If Prust is an apple, then Gudbrandson is a friggin giant watermelon.  ^_^

Anyone else think it's a good sign that Willie Mitchell posted "wtf" in his tweet?  Seeing that Willie's a fellow (albeit likely retiring) defensive D-man, and that Erik played up to 26 minutes a night in the playoffs, maybe he realizes how Erik's just coming into his prime and that the Panthers would have a gaping hole on the back end without their minute-muncher.

In fact, if you go to their fan site (http://www.litterboxcats.com/2016/5/25/11781288/florida-panthers-trade-erik-gudbranson-vancouver-canucks-jared-mccann) and read the comments, it's about as negative for them losing Erik as some here are about losing Jared.  Words like "best defensive D-men", "core", "hard to replace" and "gaping void on the right side" have been brought up by their fans and many say it's a money-driven move which means that we could have in fact redeemed some value in the up-and-coming Erik at the expense of a prospect who would be redundant in Panther Land.    

3 hours ago, TheGuardian_ said:

I played for over 25 years, coached for over 20 years, scouted for 18 years, member of the BCHL for 8 years, CHL for 5 years, managed and selected teams for both, coached or scouted 18 players that played more than 150 games in the NHL each, have watched over 40,000 games. in four different countries.

And you?

I did the math your like 608years old.

wouldnt mind seeing them sign Backes and Okposo.

sedin sedin okposo

rodin backes hansen

beartschi bo virt

granlund sutter dorsett

vey etem

edler tanev

hutton gudbranson

sbisa tryamkin

miller

markstrom

strong, big, fast, and leadership.

a sharks like turn around!

lacks offensive prowess on blueline though.

14 hours ago, Type R said:

What really shocks me here is the lack of comparisons to another defenceman that we brought over from Florida that they took as a 1st rounder (1st overall).  He spent a few years with the Panthers and then was traded to the Canucks.  Ed Jovanoski.

He didn't start putting up numbers until he was with the Canucks, where his first year here, he put up only 26 points in 75 games, and then the following year that climbed to 47 points (12g-35a).  He was 5th on the team in points that year and second to only Donald Brashear in PIMS.

NOW.. I'm not saying he's the second coming of Jovo, but he does have the mean streak, and hes a little bigger.. One can only hope!

There really is no comparison except that we traded for a high pick DMAN from FLA.

He's not a Jovo any more than McCann is Bure. Jovo was what Bieksa always tried to be but was never at that level (Not a slight on Juice, he was great for us). Jovo worked in every area of the ice and could change the fortunes of any game. The only real similarities between Gudbranson and Jovo are hitting. 

Also Jovo was established before we got him, he took his team to the final where they lost to Colorado during the infamous plastic rat era. He was already a leader and the points were obviously going to come.

This is not me pissing on Gudbranson just Jovocop was a whole different type of player. He will excite and entertain but it won't be by racking up points. It's not his game. Expect a 10 to 15 point average 

15 hours ago, JamesB said:

One thing that worries me is that he apparently turned down a 4 year extension for 18 million (i.e. 4.5 million per year). Presumably Benning has a good idea of what it will take to re-sign him and it looks like it won't be less than 5 million per year. That is a lot for a #4 guy on your depth chart who struggles to get into double digit points for the year. I understand his value -- big, strong, tough, good defensively, can play shutdown, decent first pass, "character" (according to Benning, but he said the same about Prust). I like what Gudbranson brings but I think that anything above 5 million a year is too much. How much will we have to pay for a guy who can actually put points on the board?

In fairness if you don't develop your own then you are paying through the nose no matter who you are to acquire one. All effective and established Offensive Dmen command a high price. Overpaying or not for Gudbranson won't effect that in any way. 

That said, yep. Gudbranson is getting a huge raise. Don't doubt that. 

19 minutes ago, TimberWolf said:

This is not me pissing on Gudbranson just Jovocop was a whole different type of player. He will excite and entertain but it won't be by racking up points. It's not his game. Expect a 10 to 15 point average 

He may be no Jovo, but even Barkowski got 18pts playing on the Canucks back end.  At 24yrs old, Erik is still young enough to improve his offensive game.  I am hopeful he can bump it up to +20 pts a season.

Was just perusing some stats and noticed a lot of similarities between the underlyings for Gudbranson and Niklas Hjalmarsson, especially after you account for age. 

Very similar usage. And very similar negative Corsi Rel (until this past season for Hjalmarsson--at age 28) and "poor" rates for shot suppression and events totals (which is understandable given their usage and play style).

This bodes very well IMO. If Gudbransson can even approach the effectiveness of a Hjalmarsson, while also bringing his size, physicality, and overall "bite" to his game, then JB will have set this team up very well for the future.

2 of my fav players from the Panthers prospect pool are now Canucks in Markstrom and now Gudbranson. Ill post my Gudbranson and Markstrom collection when i get some time. 

Gudbranson is still 24 guys Dmen usually hit their prime around 27-28 some even later on this guy also learned from a great shutdown defenceman in Willie Mitchell this guy is going to be a fan favorite  for sure.

2 minutes ago, AntonRodin said:

2 of my fav players from the Panthers prospect pool are now Canucks in Markstrom and now Gudbranson. Ill post my Gudbranson and Markstrom collection when i get some time. 

Gudbranson is still 24 guys Dmen usually hit their prime around 27-28 some even later on this guy also learned from a great shutdown defenceman in Willie Mitchell this guy is going to be a fan favorite  for sure.

When a great shut down D man like Willie tweets "WTF" upon hearing the trade, we all should know we are getting some one who is really valuable.

We are getting a 6 foot 5 defence-man who has a mean streak, can hit, and isn't afraid to fight. We are getting a player who'll make players think twice before trying something.

The more I watch Gudbranson Highlights, the more I'm loving this deal. He is the perfect mentor to bring out the aggression in a kid like Tryamkin, who looked a little timid at times. JB is building a monster blue line that is going to be a force to be reckoned with in the near future.

The only thing left on my wish list for our defense is to re-sign Hammer.

13 minutes ago, Qwags said:

We are getting a 6 foot 5 defence-man who has a mean streak, can hit, and isn't afraid to fight. We are getting a player who'll make players think twice before trying something.

I think fans should consider what impact EG will have on team mates game as much as his own game will play out. IMO the impact GE and Tryamkin will have his a major change in how teams will approach the Van d-zone. It should improve puck movement out of the zone and allow players like Hutton and Edler skate the puck a little more.

Fans should also look at the Western Conference rosters to see what the Canucks will be up against in the years to come. Quite simply the league is getting bigger. Van has been woefully undersized for some time. Benning his making a real effort to get this team bigger to counteract. It simply has to happen.

When McCann was drafted he easily could have been the BPA and not a position pick. The intent always could have been to realize some of his underappreciated potential which might have led to a roster player but with the fall back of trade material.

10 minutes ago, Qwags said:

The opposition will basically be skating in to this any time he's on the ice:

dangerous-black-bull.jpg

5 minutes ago, Kraken70 said:

The more I watch Gudbranson Highlights, the more I'm loving this deal. He is the perfect mentor to bring out the aggression in a kid like Tryamkin, who looked a little timid at times. JB is building a monster blue line that is going to be a force to be reckoned with in the near future.

The only thing left on my wish list for our defense is to re-sign Hammer.

tryamkin might have had a little stage fright i agree, as for him being mentored i think tryamkin reacts to gubrandsons aggressive  style out of not wanting to be one upped. and then we have 2 monsters ...

5 minutes ago, chon derry said:

tryamkin might have had a little stage fright i agree, as for him being mentored i think tryamkin reacts to gubrandsons aggressive  style out of not wanting to be one upped. and then we have 2 monsters ...

However it works, I see him as nothing but positive.

Archived