The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bo Horvat | #53 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

I'm thinking IF Bo makes the team next year, it will be as a bottom 6 winger. He has experience playing the wing, and we have a handful of capable centres for he 3rd line in Mathias, Schroeder, Richardson, possibly Santorelli or a UFA signing and possibly Lain, Gaunce or Zalewski. Bo can be slowly moved over to centre throughout the year.

Canucks should continue with what there doing and keep bo horvat in juniors for now he still has skill to develop and is only 19 years of age. I think we all know canucks are not going to be cup runners for a couple years and were pretty dependant on our prospects. they should let them develop there skill and come into the nhl with confidence. but I think a year or two from now players like shinkaruk horvat, gaunce, Jensen, fox, subban will be good enough to actually make a difference on our roster. right now canucks need to make a move and get rid of extra baggage so our prospects will have a spot on the roster. I think trade booth and kesler while there still good makes sense and continue building our prospects.

• Upvote 1

Canucks should continue with what there doing and keep bo horvat in juniors for now he still has skill to develop and is only 19 years of age. I think we all know canucks are not going to be cup runners for a couple years and were pretty dependant on our prospects. they should let them develop there skill and come into the nhl with confidence. but I think a year or two from now players like shinkaruk horvat, gaunce, Jensen, fox, subban will be good enough to actually make a difference on our roster. right now canucks need to make a move and get rid of extra baggage so our prospects will have a spot on the roster. I think trade booth and kesler while there still good makes sense and continue building our prospects.

So we should trade our current core players but not let our prospects up to fill those spots? Have I got that right? :blink:

yeah trade our current core players you got that part right because we really don't have to much chips to bargain with. but I guess I have elaborate on the trading part. canucks do need to make a move and trade there core players but it doesnèt have to happen right now what I failed to say and what you failed to judge is the fact that canucks should LOOK into trading these players ethier now when there still in some what of their prime or in a year or two when prospects are ready to hit the big ice. but obviously if they trader kesler now I don't want another cory Schneider trade happening where all we get is a draft pick. for kesler I would think a good draft pick and a decent centerman and for booth a draft pick or a younger player, I could care less he hasn't done shit for us and I just don't want him on the team since he d rather go fishing instead of training with the team # we need to rebuild

I'm thinking IF Bo makes the team next year, it will be as a bottom 6 winger. He has experience playing the wing, and we have a handful of capable centres for he 3rd line in Mathias, Schroeder, Richardson, possibly Santorelli or a UFA signing and possibly Lain, Gaunce or Zalewski. Bo can be slowly moved over to centre throughout the year.

So we drafted a guy we want to eventually be a top 6 center and then have him make the team on the wing?! If anything, we do that with Gaunce. Not Horvat. If the only spot for Horvat is wing, then we should send him back to JR for another year. And believe me, I want him on the team next year, but not like that.

So we drafted a guy we want to eventually be a top 6 center and then have him make the team on the wing?! If anything, we do that with Gaunce. Not Horvat. If the only spot for Horvat is wing, then we should send him back to JR for another year. And believe me, I want him on the team next year, but not like that.

What's wrong with starting on the wing? I'm not saying he has to stay there for the whole season - just till he learns the ropes. There he wouldn't have to be as defensively responsible, and can be less afraid of a mistake costing the team as goal. A line of Horvat - Mathias - Higgins would be defensively responsible, while still having some offensive potential. It also allows Mathias to be more aggressive on the dot, as Horvat can come in for faceoff duties if thrown out.

I have no problem sending him back to junior for another season, but him making the team on the wing shouldn't be viewed as a negative.

There's nothing left for Bo in Junior. Everybody else will be gone probably, they're in a rebuild next year probably. 3 memorial cup appearances, 2 ohl championships and a world juniors appearance.. i think he'll be motivated to make the team. Knights are looking ready for the tournament. Dvorak, Bell, and Austin are all healthy now, and John Tavares has been practicing with them for the last week or two. pretty cool.

Ideally, Bo should be on a line with 2 veterans, so maybe try Higgins-Horvat-Burrows?

Edited by Legend Killer

What's wrong with starting on the wing? I'm not saying he has to stay there for the whole season - just till he learns the ropes. There he wouldn't have to be as defensively responsible, and can be less afraid of a mistake costing the team as goal. A line of Horvat - Mathias - Higgins would be defensively responsible, while still having some offensive potential. It also allows Mathias to be more aggressive on the dot, as Horvat can come in for faceoff duties if thrown out.

I have no problem sending him back to junior for another season, but him making the team on the wing shouldn't be viewed as a negative.

The thing I don't like about it is hr hasn't really played that much wing. He played a little bit in the WJrs camp. Starting him in the NHL in the wrong position seems like a bad idea and may not be so great for his confidence.

There's nothing left for Bo in Junior. Everybody else will be gone probably, they're in a rebuild next year probably. 3 memorial cup appearances, 2 ohl championships and a world juniors appearance.. i think he'll be motivated to make the team. Knights are looking ready for the tournament. Dvorak, Bell, and Austin are all healthy now, and John Tavares has been practicing with them for the last week or two. pretty cool.

Ideally, Bo should be on a line with 2 veterans, so maybe try Higgins-Horvat-Burrows?

I tend to agree, I think he's too good to dawdle in Jr. another year. Shame he's not AHL eligible actually.

I'm still leaning to Higgins/Burrows, Horvat, Santorelli. Santo gives that line another centre (opposite side) to take some pressure off winning draws. That line would be deadly IMO.

Great Canucks Army article on 'quality of competition" for the OHL, mentions some Canucks prospects: Link

Bo Horvat faced easily the toughest competition among non-bottom feeding teams, which makes his strong draft+1 season more impressive. Not only did he increase his production by nearly 0.5 pts/GP, but he managed to do so while shouldering the heaviest burden on the Memorial Cup host London Knights. We don't have enough historical data to know if this is at all meaningful, but it's definitely another point in his favour. (I'll also point out that I had a Bo Horvat jersey shirt before all of you).
Given our best estimates, we can also say that he [Horvat] was probably one of the very best (if not the best) two-way forwards in the OHL this season due to the fact that Dale Hunter used him as the hockey equivalent of a meat grinere

Brendan Gaunce faced the most difficult TOI QoC and composite QoC on Erie, but this may be influenced by spending 1/4th of the season on a poor Belleville Bulls team.

Cole Cassels also appears to have faced difficult competition but did so with better linemates, spending most of his draft+1 season riding shotgun with Scott Laughton and Michael Dal Colle.

Anytime you see the prospects playing the toughest possible mins in Jr. and excelling - you gotta be a happy GM. Specifically Horvat.

Edited by RunningWild

I believe Horvat is the best CHL player drafted in 2013 in all parts of the ice and he isn't player on a team like Guelph like Rychel or Portland like Petan. And like just mentioned, Horvat is facing the best of the best in the OHL head on and still scoring.

After Drouin of course though.

Edited by Plum

final scouting ranking rankings are released before the memorial cup combine and team interviews. players can still rise or fall. in horvats case scoring the gwg in the ohl final with 2 seconds left raised his stock quite a bit.

And of course at the combines everyone knew about his GWG an play off performance. More significant, they also then got to look more closely at an NHL ready 205 lb body at age 18?

Giroux started on the wing, O'Reilly started on the wing. But I guess it would be completely unfair for the Canucks to make Horvat start on the wing...

:rolleyes:

• Upvote 2

Honestly I think Horvat will start on the second line for the first couple of games(but he will be on the wing). The canucks need someone to player the "shutdown" role for Kesler and Kassian (assuming thats the second line) so they can take some chances in the offensive zone and won't get burned. I can also see Jensen on this line if he does well in the preseason.

edit: If Kesler is traded i can see Horvat playing centre but on the third line. I think Mathias or Santorelli will be the second line centre

Edited by Gstank29

Honestly I think Horvat will start on the second line for the first couple of games(but he will be on the wing). The canucks need someone to player the "shutdown" role for Kesler and Kassian (assuming thats the second line) so they can take some chances in the offensive zone and won't get burned. I can also see Jensen on this line if he does well in the preseason.

edit: If Kesler is traded i can see Horvat playing centre but on the third line. I think Mathias or Santorelli will be the second line centre

Mathias is horrible at faceoffs, if he can't improve that he'll never be more than a 4th line centre or 3rd line winger.

Mathias is horrible at faceoffs, if he can't improve that he'll never be more than a 4th line centre or 3rd line winger.

Yes I agree Mathias is a better fit at LW. Here is what I think the canucks could dress that would be really good 4 lines if it looks like this next season:

Sedins-Jensen

Burrows-Kesler-Santorelli

Mathias-Horvat-Kassian

Higgins-Richardson-Hansen