The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bo Horvat | #53 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

I thought he had a couple real nice games then didn't get to play last night. It's too bad, I think in a game where the team is blowing leads 3 different times purely because of poor defensive coverage or giveaways a guy like Bo could have shown what he can bring to the team if he was given an opportunity.

But you just blew 3 leads, so the last thing you want is to give them a lead. WD did what he had to do.

Edited by Dasein

i wonder if benning isnt so concerned with the 9game mark and burning a year off his ELC as he is about the 40game mark and burning a year off his UFA eligibility. I think that date may be the real deadline for Bo.

Benning shouldn't and most likely doesn't give a damn about the 9 game window.

He knows there is more benefit to keeping him past 9 games even if he intends to send him back to Junior.

Just want to point out that the pundits are saying there is nothing at all wrong with Bo's skating and that he is actually pretty fast now. That is what I have noticed he is beating people up and down the ice on the fore check and back check.

So let's put that issue to rest please.

When's the last time you saw anybody on this thread post that Bo's too slow?

That issue was put to rest long before so I don't get why you want to put away something that was long gone.

Edited by Dasein

That issue was put to rest long before so I don't get why you want to put away something that was long gone.

I just read someone complaining about his speed in another thread so I thought I would try to erase that perception as much as possible by posting in this thread.

No, now everyone's complaining that our defensively responsible, face off winning, even+/- 4C that has pretty constantly made smart plays to push play forward isn't scoring hatty's every shift.

Benning shouldn't and most likely doesn't give a damn about the 9 game window.

He knows there is more benefit to keeping him past 9 games even if he intends to send him back to Junior.

You may think that the 9 game window and so future cap hit isn't as important as whether he is better than his replacement now and how he'll best develop to give the Canucks the most value in the future, and if that's what you'd said I wouldn't argue with that. But "shouldn't ... give a damn" is the same as saying it isn't a consideration. With that, I disagree. It is a consideration that at the very least could tip the scales if JB considers the decision close otherwise.

I just read someone complaining about his speed in another thread so I thought I would try to erase that perception as much as possible by posting in this thread.

Well you should post in that thread because no one here thinks that. There's nothing to erase here lol

No, now everyone's complaining that our defensively responsible, face off winning, even+/- 4C that has pretty constantly made smart plays to push play forward isn't scoring hatty's every shift.

Well, no but he does need to produce something if he wants to stick.

Edited by Dasein

i once scored 5 goal in a single shift...

the highlight of my hockey career as a 7 year old

• Upvote 2

I agree. He looks great out there for a 19 year old and he's only going to get better. He might enjoy going back to junior though, he hasn't scored a goal in over 5 months.

It's quite possible burning a year off the ELC will benefit us anyway. In 2 years he may be one year away from breaking out offensively and getting a big pay day. Having to renegotiate one year earlier may mean we get a 2 year bridge contract worth far less then if he breaks out in year 3.

This is a real good point.

My concern is not with Bo's play, but with his playing time. If he gets around 10 minutes a game for the next few games, that's great and maybe he should be kept up.

Well, no but he does need to produce something if he wants to stick.

He already did. His play directly lead to Dorsett's goal in Colorado even if he didn't get a point. He's also had multiple quality chances driving to the net, screening the goalie and made plenty of good defensive plays sending team mates in to the offensive zone with the puck (unfderstandably most of his team mates have been a touch lacking on finish or he'd probably have a couple A's).

seagull

I got kicked out of a game for fighting with my own teammate when I was 8....he started it.

did you grow up in saskatchewan? because the same game i scored 5 goals in one shift the 2 d-men got in a fight with eachother and they were both kicked out.... it was hilarious.

He already did. His play directly lead to Dorsett's goal in Colorado even if he didn't get a point. He's also had multiple quality chances driving to the net, screening the goalie and made plenty of good defensive plays sending team mates in to the offensive zone with the puck (unfderstandably most of his team mates have been a touch lacking on finish or he'd probably have a couple A's).

Still zeroes across the board though. Can't blame his linemates forever for lack of production. Bo's been handed a few chances himself but couldn't finish either, so it goes both ways. It's not like he deserves better finishing linemates at this point as he's not creating enough to move someone in the top 9.

As a 4 line team, we need contribution from everyone, but that's run dry for the 4th line in recent games. Granted, we've lost some of our regulars which forced us to be really a 3 line team. When Dorsett and Vrbata return and Bo gets the regular wingers back, I'm sure we'll see more minutes out of the 4th line as well as more chances.

Still zeroes across the board though. Can't blame his linemates forever for lack of production. Bo's been handed a few chances himself but couldn't finish either, so it goes both ways. It's not like he deserves better finishing linemates at this point as he's not creating enough to move someone in the top 9.

As a 4 line team, we need contribution from everyone, but that's run dry for the 4th line in recent games. Granted, we've lost some of our regulars which forced us to be really a 3 line team. When Dorsett and Vrbata return and Bo gets the regular wingers back, I'm sure we'll see more minutes out of the 4th line as well as more chances.

Pretty much agree with all that. Personally though, I think it's going to take him a good 5-10, maybe even 15 games (with consistent line mates) before we should be expecting him to be making anything resembling consistent offensive production (a point every 4-6 games).

Let the kid get his footing.

I'd be worried if he wasn't getting any chances, wasn't making plays to get out of the d-zone and in to the o-zone etc. If he wasn't creating ANYTHING. But he is creating. So long as he can continue to do that, he'll get points IMO.

The coach has to put up his game roster every day with the expectations that he goes with the guys that gives him the best chance of winning the game...sounds obvious I know but there only so much you can gift wrap a game day slot to a player that is maybe not the best guy to bring a result. If Horvat wants to get attention from the coach there's one place he needs to do it ....on the ice, he has to be better than other players. For instance that not too subtle point has now been recognized by Matthias. I'm sure the coaches have made a point of highlighting this to him ...if you don't put more effort into your game you're going to be our selection for the press box ...the choice is yours alone

Edited by Fred65

Pretty much agree with all that. Personally though, I think it's going to take him a good 5-10, maybe even 15 games (with consistent line mates) before we should be expecting him to be making anything resembling consistent offensive production (a point every 4-6 games).

Let the kid get his footing.

I'd be worried if he wasn't getting any chances, wasn't making plays to get out of the d-zone and in to the o-zone etc. If he wasn't creating ANYTHING. But he is creating. So long as he can continue to do that, he'll get points IMO.

But he doesn't have 10-15 games. Benning's interview indicates that the management group will make a decision after 9 games, so Bo has 4 games left to convince the management group.

https://soundcloud.com/team-radio-interviews/jim-benning-with-jeff-paterson-november-12 @ 5:22

After tomorrow vs Arizona (game #6), we have about 5 days before the back-to-backs vs Edmonton and Anaheim. Vrbata is supposedly good for tomorrow. Kassian and Dorsett have started skating. It's possible that, by the time we face Edmonton, we have our regular roster ready. I think Bo will get the game vs Edmonton to give an extra day off for one of Dorsett or Kassian (barring no additional injuries), then is scratched for the game vs Anaheim.

From then on, it might be only when we have injuries that Bo slides into the lineup, and he'll have 2 more games before the 9-game benchmark where Benning said he will make his decision on.