The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bo Horvat | #53 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

Playing time is a concern obviously the more he plays the better he becomes, but with that we've got to win games, and we have had a few close games to start his career. If we get up by 3 or 4 goals against Ottawa expect to see him on the ice more. Every point counts towards the playoffs, chances are some team will miss by only 1 or 2 points. Willie, Trevor, and JB are more concerned with that than with how much ice-time Horvat gets.

Not to say it's not important, but priorities are playoffs this year.

Ultimately I think best for his long term development would in these next few games get a chance to play more minutes on the third line with some more offensive players.

Then he can go back to junior hopefully with a couple of points maybe even a goal. Light it up with the confidence that he is very close to being an NHLer and then get ready to play in the World Junior tournament with Virtanen.

I don't think the Canucks can seriously keep him this year. I think this more for him to get a good idea of the level of the NHL hockey the pace, the systems, etc.

Next year I think will be the truly interesting year with guys like Richardson and Matthias both free agents he will have a very good chance to have a spot on the team as the third line center with a guy like Jensen probably on one of his wings and Kassian on the other.

Edited by Chip Kelly

Playing time is a concern obviously the more he plays the better he becomes, but with that we've got to win games, and we have had a few close games to start his career. If we get up by 3 or 4 goals against Ottawa expect to see him on the ice more. Every point counts towards the playoffs, chances are some team will miss by only 1 or 2 points. Willie, Trevor, and JB are more concerned with that than with how much ice-time Horvat gets.

Your saying this as if Bo is a liability though, if that's the way managment & the coaching staff is looking at it, that Bo needs to be sheltered like he has been then they should ultimately send him down.

To me Bo isn't a liability, and now that he has shown in the few minutes he's gotten that he isn't a liability and that he can do things to help the team win, he needs to be given more opportunity to show that he can be a contributing part of this team, not just a rookie we are giving few minutes to just so he's gaining experience rather than being in junior.

Basically whether or not he's playing in the top 9, I mean it would be great, but the bigger point is, he can't be viewed at as a liability, he can't be sheltered, he needs to play a regular shift just like everyone else, even if he's on the 4th line, he needs to play a regular shift just like guys like Dorsett & Hansen do.

I personally think over the course of the year he could become a contributing top 9 player (3rd line center) that could play on both special teams units. Now it won't happen overnight, but they atleast need to give him the opportunity to show he can be that.

Wasn't able to see the game tonight but noticed his ice time was almost half of what he played last night in LA. How did he look out there tonight?

On a tangent, how did his rookie linemates play too, Jensen and DeFazio?

I was at the game, but was late so only saw the 2nd half.

I recall no highlights, but no lowlights either,

I do recall him handling the puck once or twice, and his attempts to stay involved, so I guess those are all good signs.

But I don't remember seeing much of him in the 3rd, or De Fazio.

Edited by terrible.dee

9th in the NHL in faceoff percentage.

9th overall draft pick

My god he's the Great One.

The number literally followed him everywhere. He was drafted 9th in both the NHL and OHL drafts, for those who are unaware. I saw a feature on him in minor midget (prior to the OHL draft) and he had a practice jersey with the number... 9.

How many draws total?

COL - 8/12

SJ - 1/4

LA - 11/20

ANA - 6/8

Total = 26/44

The number literally followed him everywhere. He was drafted 9th in both the NHL and OHL drafts, for those who are unaware. I saw a feature on him in minor midget (prior to the OHL draft) and he had a practice jersey with the number... 9.

COL - 8/12

SJ - 1/4

LA - 11/20

ANA - 6/8

Total = 26/44

Ok, that's a decent sample size.

If Horvat plays his 9 games straight he'll be sent down on the 23/24 (assuming he'll be sent down). The December camp roster is announced at the beginning of December so he'll only have to wait 1 week to start practicing, playing exhibition games and then going back to London for a few games then back to the World Junior squad.

He won't be playing much in London so he's going from the NHL to a couple games in London back to big games at the World Juniors. I expect him to be sharp if he gets sent down because he's coming off time with the Canucks.

Exactly. We need wins first and foremost and I get why WD would give veterans more ice time in tight games.

Your saying this as if Bo is a liability though, if that's the way managment & the coaching staff is looking at it, that Bo needs to be sheltered like he has been then they should ultimately send him down.

To me Bo isn't a liability, and now that he has shown in the few minutes he's gotten that he isn't a liability and that he can do things to help the team win, he needs to be given more opportunity to show that he can be a contributing part of this team, not just a rookie we are giving few minutes to just so he's gaining experience rather than being in junior.

Basically whether or not he's playing in the top 9, I mean it would be great, but the bigger point is, he can't be viewed at as a liability, he can't be sheltered, he needs to play a regular shift just like everyone else, even if he's on the 4th line, he needs to play a regular shift just like guys like Dorsett & Hansen do.

I personally think over the course of the year he could become a contributing top 9 player (3rd line center) that could play on both special teams units. Now it won't happen overnight, but they atleast need to give him the opportunity to show he can be that.

No the OP is not saying that Bo has been a liability.

The OP is saying that there are better options than Bo to play in the top 9.

There is a subtle difference. Even though Bo is not a liability and is good enough, we have someone better and more reliable - and that's all it really takes to bump Bo off a top 9 roster spot. We're not here to take chances - we're here to get wins. If Bo shows that he is the better option, I think WD would have played him in a top 9 role.

We're not here to develop a player into a role over the course of the year. That's what the CHL and AHL are for. We have players who play that role better right now, so they're playing instead. We don't need to give him an opportunity - Bo's not entitled to it. Bo needs to earn that opportunity by showing that he's ready for that role now and not over the course of the year.

I was at the game, but was late so only saw the 2nd half.

I recall no highlights, but no lowlights either,

I do recall him handling the puck once or twice, and his attempts to stay involved, so I guess those are all good signs.

But I don't remember seeing much of him in the 3rd, or De Fazio.

Oh there was a huge boo boo - I think his first major one in the NHL - in the 1st period last night.

Bo tried to stick handle through some Duck players in the neutral zone on a breakout with a junior move and was stripped of the puck by a Duck player. The defense scrambled back to contest the shot but it turned into a grade A chance for Anaheim, and Bo got a talking-to by one of the coaches.

Issue there was speed. Defender would've probably backed off if he was faster

It was still a low percentage rookie move, even taking the puck to the wall and eating it to buy some time would have probably been a better play, anything but coughing it up at his blueline

Murzyn's Law; when in doubt, off the glass and out

I doubt we'll see him do that again, though.

It was still a low percentage rookie move, even taking the puck to the wall and eating it to buy some time would have probably been a better play, anything but coughing it up at his blueline

Murzyn's Law; when in doubt, off the glass and out

I doubt we'll see him do that again, though.

But if he doesn't go end to end like that... how will we know if we shoulda picked Nichushkin?!

Exactly. We need wins first and foremost and I get why WD would give veterans more ice time in tight games.

No the OP is not saying that Bo has been a liability.

The OP is saying that there are better options than Bo to play in the top 9.

There is a subtle difference. Even though Bo is not a liability and is good enough, we have someone better and more reliable - and that's all it really takes to bump Bo off a top 9 roster spot. We're not here to take chances - we're here to get wins. If Bo shows that he is the better option, I think WD would have played him in a top 9 role.

We're not here to develop a player into a role over the course of the year. That's what the CHL and AHL are for. We have players who play that role better right now, so they're playing instead. We don't need to give him an opportunity - Bo's not entitled to it. Bo needs to earn that opportunity by showing that he's ready for that role now and not over the course of the year.

This one comment your post is exactly what am saying about him being a liability, you guys are coming from the standpoint that playing Bo a regular shift (whether it be the 3rd or 4th line) is a risk. And there's nothing wrong with that if that's how you feel, but what I'm saying is, if management feels that way then they should just send him down, because if so what is really the goal with him this season then? Are they serious about him being a contributing member of the team? Or for him to just get a few games then send him down?

As for the second bolded you clearly aren't understanding what I'm saying. How is Bo supposed to prove he can be a 10-12+ minute 3rd line center when he's playing 7 sheltered minutes on a 4th line? That's my point. He's shown he can contribute already (IMO), and if they are serious about him helping this team, then need to allow him to show more, if they are just going to keep him as a sheltered 7 minute a night 4th liner there is no chance of him showing anything substantially more than he has so far.

Its not really about gifting him anything, if anything he's earned a bit more opportunity. The one game he played in the top 9, the line he was on was our best line. Granted everyone else was horrible, but that doesn't mean he didn't play well.

Edited by Smashian Kassian

This one comment your post is exactly what am saying about him being a liability, you guys are coming from the standpoint that playing Bo a regular shift (whether it be the 3rd or 4th line) is a risk. And there's nothing wrong with that if that's how you feel, but what I'm saying is, if management feels that way then they should just send him down, because if so what is really the goal with him this season then? Are they serious about him being a contributing member of the team? Or for him to just get a few games then send him down?

As for the second bolded you clearly aren't understanding what I'm saying. How is Bo supposed to prove he can be a 10-12+ minutes 3rd line center when he's playing 7 sheltered minutes on a 4th line? That's my point. He's shown he can contribute already (IMO), and that if they are serious about him helping this team, then need to allow him to show more, if they are just going to keep him as a sheltered 7 minute a night 4th liner there is no chance of him showing anything substantially more than he has so far.

Its not really about gifting him anything, if anything he's earned a bit more opportunity. The one game he played in the top 9, the line he was on was our best line. Granted everyone else was horrible, but that doesn't mean he didn't play well.

D Sedin - H Sedin - Vrbata

Higgins - Bonino - Burrows

Matthias - Richardson - Kassian

That is our top 9 at full health. There is literally no one on that top 9 that Bo can knock off. Hansen and Vey stand next in line for a top 9 role when injuries occur. It's not that Bo is liable. I trust him in a top 9 role.

If our lineup looked like

D Sedin - H Sedin - Vrbata

Higgins - Bonino - Burrows

Horvat - Richardson - Kassian

I would have no qualms about it if we had no better options - but we have Matthias, Hansen and Vey who fill that role more effectively than Bo does. It's a numbers game Smashian. It's not a matter of trust in a player. Horvat has shown to be reliable and trustworthy so far. It's a matter of who is better and the odd man gets pushed down the depth chart - and sadly, Bo is the odd man out like Hansen and Vey to play on the 4th line.

What I mean by "We're not here to take chances"

Everyone we have are capable of playing in the top 9 - even Bo. However, if we don't play our best 9 forwards in the top 9, I see that as taking chances because we are not putting our best foot forward. If we put Bo out there instead of Hansen or Matthias or Vey, we are not putting our best foot forward IMO - so we would be taking chances.

Edited by Dasein