The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bo Horvat | #53 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

I honestly think the sky is the limit for this kid. He'll go as far as his drive takes him and after just 2 seasons it's obvious he has a lot. If Sean Couturier is his comparable then he's miles ahead of the game, he's already beat Sean's career high for points in 2 less seasons. Admittedly, I don't watch many Flyers games so I can't really confirm Sean's 2-way game but I watch most Canucks games and Bo's 2-way game is impressive. I'll predict 60 points+ this year for him not because I am a super-homer ( I am) but because that looks to be the scale he is increasing on. He hardly seems like the kind to slack in the offseason. 

im still waiting to see longer effective shifts from him. especially in the o-zone, want to see better forechecking and causing turnovers for scoring chances.

idk if it's just me seeing this, but does'nt he look slow after like 10 seconds on the ice? for a 20 year old i find it kinda odd.

f.y.i. i like the guy. just pointing out some weaknesses.

he also overplays the puck too much in both zones. thats why his +/- is terrible. needs to skate where the puck is going to be and not where it is all the time.

he has a nice slapshot. needs someone to play with that will set him up often. (give and go type of player)

On 2 June 2016 at 7:12 AM, Boddy604 said:

This. I think he'll probably be a 40 point guy again next season though. But only cuz with a healthy Sutter, Horvat is going to get less minutes.

But if Horvat puts up 40 points from the 3rd line alongside other young guns like Baertschi, Virtanen, Etem, or maybe even Tkachuk (but that one's a stretch), that's still improvement and bodes well for the future.

Doesn't sound like Baertschi-Horvat will be playing together now that Baertschi found his confidence.  WD explained that he was playing Baer in a checking role with Horvat because he wasn't doing anything offensively but wasn't hurting the team defensively.  Then they started scoring so he kept them together.  But, towards the end he separated them whenever possible, because he felt it was taking Horvat away from his game.  He thinks it's better for him to play with defensive wingers.  So I'm guessing it's Etem, Gaunce and maybe Dorsett - which were his linemates to finish the year.

1 hour ago, mll said:

Doesn't sound like Baertschi-Horvat will be playing together now that Baertschi found his confidence.  WD explained that he was playing Baer in a checking role with Horvat because he wasn't doing anything offensively but wasn't hurting the team defensively.  Then they started scoring so he kept them together.  But, towards the end he separated them whenever possible, because he felt it was taking Horvat away from his game.  He thinks it's better for him to play with defensive wingers.  So I'm guessing it's Etem, Gaunce and maybe Dorsett - which were his linemates to finish the year.

Horvat and Etem went on 6 and 7 game point streaks to close out the season when they finally were paired up so that's fine with me.

Obviously that's not sustainable but it does make it obvious there's some chemistry there too.

Etem-Horvat-Virtanen?

Etem-Horvat-Rodin?

Etem-Horvat-Hansen?

Those all look pretty nice to me.

On June 2, 2016 at 8:33 PM, MickVega said:

I honestly think the sky is the limit for this kid. He'll go as far as his drive takes him and after just 2 seasons it's obvious he has a lot. If Sean Couturier is his comparable then he's miles ahead of the game, he's already beat Sean's career high for points in 2 less seasons. Admittedly, I don't watch many Flyers games so I can't really confirm Sean's 2-way game but I watch most Canucks games and Bo's 2-way game is impressive. I'll predict 60 points+ this year for him not because I am a super-homer ( I am) but because that looks to be the scale he is increasing on. He hardly seems like the kind to slack in the offseason. 

Bo has size and is super strong. Couture isn't. The Ox plays a similar game, but with attributes you can't teach.  Size and more Size. 

As as he gets more comfortable in the NHL, he can play a game where he makes things happen through force of will alone.  Truly, the sky is the limit for Bo.  If his game can rub off on guys like Trymakin, Gaunce, Virtanen and Etem, we will be a very hard team to play against. 

Canucks real should be going all in with Bo. Sutter can play the third line and sub in here and there with the Sedins depending on who is hot and give Bo a stable second line. He's the real deal.

Won't happen, but it's how I see it. 

Just now, TimberWolf said:

Canucks real should be going all in with Bo. Sutter can play the third line and sub in here and there with the Sedins depending on who is hot and give Bo a stable second line. He's the real deal.

Won't happen, but it's how I see it. 

I read in another thread we are trading Bo + + for RNH.  :frantic:  I know...Completely INSANE.

Bo has the potential to be a really top notch number one center.  He does need two elite level wingers though, right?

It is really hard to say what Horvat will become.  I've always felt he looked to have a solid 2nd line ceiling, but some of the moves he makes are so skilled it is hard not to think he *could* become a top line center.  His progression last season was excellent, and if he can keep that going, only good things are in his future.  While an entirely different kind of player, look what Kesler ended up being when he was initially given the 3rd line center role.  While not as physical, I'd say the offensive talent displayed by Horvat surpasses that of Kesler, so I'm pretty excited to see where Horvat ends up in his prime for sure.

His second half this year makes it clear that consistency is the only thing that stands between him and a 60 point season 3 years post-draft. He's defensively responsible, offensively talented, big, strong, fast, has a huge skillset (dem dangles) and has character. In baseball, you'd call him a 5 tool player. At 21.

Still not sure that giving up the best goalie in the league was worth it, but the fact that it's as much of a toss up as it is in my head means he is one hell of a player.

He'll be a PPG, elite defensive 2nd liner in the next 3 years.

2 minutes ago, EagleShield said:

His second half this year makes it clear that consistency is the only thing that stands between him and a 60 point season 3 years post-draft. He's defensively responsible, offensively talented, big, strong, fast, has a huge skillset (dem dangles) and has character. In baseball, you'd call him a 5 tool player. At 21.

Still not sure that giving up the best goalie in the league was worth it, but the fact that it's as much of a toss up as it is in my head means he is one hell of a player.

He'll be a PPG, elite defensive 2nd liner in the next 3 years.

PPG and elite make Bo a top 1st line center, like Kopitar and Toews.

I expect Bo to improve points per minute and +-  drastically from last year, especially at home with our choice of line match-ups.

If healthy, with Sutter in the lineup and taking more defensive zone faceoffs, Bo will not be lined up with the opponents top line (reason for his poor +- and our soft awful 2015-16 defense) like last year. This will give him some offensive freedom to forecheck deeper, throw more hits, and not be so worried about getting caught up ice with the opponents top scorers on the bench. The third line will also get a lesser defensive opponent (this is why the Kessel-Bonino line is doing so well imo)

Add Gudbranson, Tryamkin, Edler, and remove Biega, Weber, Bartkowski and you get even that much more freedom to take some risks in the offensive zone. Every line will have one of Tanev/Gudbranson/Tryamkin as the last man back. 

Horvat had little freedom and mainly defensive starts last year and he still got 40 points after a crappy start. This line-up now, if healthy should be tailor made for his production per minute, and his +- to improve.

Edited by Cowichan Canuck

23 minutes ago, Cowichan Canuck said:

I expect Bo to improve points per minute and +-  drastically from last year, especially at home with our choice of line match-ups.

If healthy, with Sutter in the lineup and taking more defensive zone faceoffs, Bo will not be lined up with the opponents top line (reason for his poor +- and our soft awful 2015-16 defense) like last year. This will give him some offensive freedom to forecheck deeper, throw more hits, and not be so worried about getting caught up ice with the opponents top scorers on the bench. The third line will also get a lesser defensive opponent (this is why the Kessel-Bonino line is doing so well imo)

Add Gudbranson, Tryamkin, Edler, and remove Biega, Weber, Bartkowski and you get even that much more freedom to take some risks in the offensive zone. Every line will have one of Tanev/Gudbranson/Tryamkin as the last man back. 

Horvat had little freedom and mainly defensive starts last year and he still got 40 points after a crappy start. This line-up now, if healthy should be tailor made for his production per minute, and his +- to improve.

Who will his wingers be?  Etam and Vey?

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Who will his wingers be?  Etam and Vey?

Beartschi and Etem/Virtanen, I think we sign two FA wingers.

Sedin-Sedin-FA(Eriksson/Okposo)

FA(Lucic)-Sutter-Hansen

Baertschi-Horvat-Etem/Virtanen

Guance-Granlund-Virtanen/Etem

If we trade Hansen or only sign one FA winger, Vey slots in 4th line RW and the rest move up.

Edited by Cowichan Canuck
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Cowichan Canuck said:

Beartschi and Etem/Virtanen, I think we sign two FA wingers.

Sedin-Sedin-FA(Eriksson/Okposo)

FA(Lucic)-Sutter-Hansen

Baertschi-Horvat-Etem/Virtanen

Guance-Granlund-Virtanen/Etem

With our D and goalies, that's a playoff team you just posted.  You realize that means no high pick next season?

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Cowichan Canuck said:

Next year isn't worth "tanking" for anyways...supposedly a fairly weak draft.

Who can quantify what playing playoff style hockey down the stretch and missing out by one spot does for the development of 23 players vs finishing last and actually getting 1st pick and what that player can do to development of the team. 

Tanking should only even be a consideration if there is the perfect storm of: a pretty barren cupboard, bad luck, suspensions and close to league high lost games to injury.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Salacious Crumb said:

Who can quantify what playing playoff style hockey down the stretch and missing out by one spot does for the development of 23 players vs finishing last and actually getting 1st pick and what that player can do to development of the team. 

Tanking should only even be a consideration if there is the perfect storm of: a pretty barren cupboard, bad luck, suspensions and close to league high lost games to injury.

Yup, this year was the perfect year to tank.  Those other loser teams were just too good for us:(