The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Montreal - Vancouver

Looking at teams and needs, Montreal needs a couple of veteran forwards for their group in the bottom 9.

Not a really sexy of flashy trade like some proposed, just some re-jigging and housekeeping.  Letting two solid guys try to find a home and some success on another team and opening up some roster space for a couple of younger guys.  We already have a very young defence, so adding a 30 year old isn't going to make us "old" in that regard.

To Mtl:

Burrows ($1 million retained)

Higgins

Biega or Pedan

To Van:

Emelin

Late pick

A francophone with some grit would be a hero in Montreal, and Higgins can still play a PK role in the bottom 6 on that roster.... they would amusingly enough represent two of the bigger forwards on the team :)  They both only have the year left, so it leaves Montreal in a good spot cap wise in a year.

For us Emelin is a returning cap hit and would be a little expensive on a 3rd pairing, but it allows us to move Sbisa.  Emelin has struggled a little, but he has found himself playing 20 minutes per game and that is probably not a good fit for his style and ability.  With us he would be playing 15-16 minutes and likely be more effective.

We could likely get a decent pick or prospect for Sbisa, the options on the D market are drying up.

12 minutes ago, Provost said:

Looking at teams and needs, Montreal needs a couple of veteran forwards for their group in the bottom 9.

Not a really sexy of flashy trade like some proposed, just some re-jigging and housekeeping.  Letting two solid guys try to find a home and some success on another team.

To Mtl:

Burrows ($1 million retained)

Higgins

Biega or Pedan

To Van:

Emelin

Late pick

A francophone with some grit would be a hero in Montreal, and Higgins can still play a PK role in the bottom 6 on that roster.... they would amusingly enough represent two of the bigger forwards on the team :)  They both only have the year left, so it leaves Montreal in a good spot cap wise in a year.

For us Emelin is a returning cap hit and would be a little expensive on a 3rd pairing, but it allows us to move Sbisa.  Emelin has struggled a little, but he has found himself playing 20 minutes per game and that is probably not a good fit for his style and ability.  With us he would be playing 15-16 minutes and likely be more effective.

We could likely get a decent pick or prospect for Sbisa, the options on the D market are drying up.

If the purpose is to move out Burrows and pick up a late pick why not add a young piece as incentive sorta similar to the hawks did with Bickell (although canucks aren't in cap troubles)

Say

Burrows (50% retained) + Grenier/Brisebois to MTL for a 4th round pick

and

Higgins (50% retained) + Pedan to Buffalo for a 3rd round pick.

We'd be retaining less cap than what Emelin cost, and it only be on the books for next year

15 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

If the purpose is to move out Burrows and pick up a late pick why not add a young piece as incentive sorta similar to the hawks did with Bickell (although canucks aren't in cap troubles)

Say

Burrows (50% retained) + Grenier/Brisebois to MTL for a 4th round pick

and

Higgins (50% retained) + Pedan to Buffalo for a 3rd round pick.

We'd be retaining less cap than what Emelin cost, and it only be on the books for next year

I think Emelin is a useful player to start, and we don't lose any younger assets.

I would far prefer an offensive D to be on the 3rd pairing with Tryamkin, but not really available at a reasonable price.

If you count moving Sbisa out in a trade (which can be done easily), in my proposal we end up way ahead on the cap.

Burrows (minus retained $1 million) +Higgins+Sbisa = $9.6 million out

Emelin+two young forwards (Etem+Gaunce) to take the Burrows/Higgins roster spots = $6 million in

$3.6 million in freed cap space.  Two open forward roster spots int he bottom 6 where we have a glut of guys.  A returning D who is a notch up from Sbisa and easily capable of playing in the top 4 when injuries happen... and being a class act by letting those two guys who served us well play in a situation where they will have a meaningful role.

That additional $3.6 million in cap space could mean us being able to make another meaningful trade or UFA signing for the top end of our roster.

7 minutes ago, Provost said:

I think Emelin is a useful player to start, and we don't lose any younger assets.

I would far prefer an offensive D to be on the 3rd pairing with Tryamkin, but not really available at a reasonable price.

If you count moving Sbisa out in a trade (which can be done easily), in my proposal we end up way ahead on the cap.

Burrows (minus retained $1 million) +Higgins+Sbisa = $9.6 million out

Emelin+two young forwards (Etem+Gaunce) to take the Burrows/Higgins roster spots = $6 million in

$3.6 million in freed cap space.  Two open forward roster spots int he bottom 6 where we have a glut of guys.  A returning D who is a notch up from Sbisa and easily capable of playing in the top 4 when injuries happen... and being a class act by letting those two guys who served us well play in a situation where they will have a meaningful role.

That additional $3.6 million in cap space could mean us being able to make another meaningful trade or UFA signing for the top end of our roster.

I actually prefer Sbisa to emelin so from that point of view I wouldn't do it. Canucks have nothing but cap space this year. Our biggest issue this year is not enough roster spots and if we're really not concerned with the late draft picks and since I'm not an emelin fan, we can just send burrows and Higgins to Utica while keeping our prospects.  

34 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I actually prefer Sbisa to emelin so from that point of view I wouldn't do it. Canucks have nothing but cap space this year. Our biggest issue this year is not enough roster spots and if we're really not concerned with the late draft picks and since I'm not an emelin fan, we can just send burrows and Higgins to Utica while keeping our prospects.  

We have cap space and can use it to our advantage... as we could with the extra cap space created.

We can sign UFAs in a year where prices are a little low with the cap crunch, and we can make trades with other teams for valuable guys who they can't afford under the cap.

Montreal has plenty of veteran  guys for the bottom 6 (Flynn, Byron, Mitchell, Desharnais). They have no need for Vancouvers cast offs. They have limited cap space and actually need a top six scoring winger (and no, I don't mean Hansen)

Archived