The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017 NHL Draft - Chicago, Illinois June 23-24 2017

hyper00

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

I have to say this

Apparently there IS a chance we take Liljegren at #5

I know people will be pissed if this happens.

But...there is also a chance we finish in the top 5 lottery position next year as well, meaning a shot at Dahlin 

In 3 drafts

Juolevi

Liljegren

Dahlin

Supplemented by Canadian born defensemen in the later rounds leaving the canucks with potentially the most stacked defense in the league in 5 to 7 years but also cementing our lack of forwards meaning we draft top 5-10 in 209 and 2020

People will be angry and frustrated which is certain.  But if we're drafting forwards in 2019 and 2020 as potential lottery picks again they stand a high chance of joining the team within the same year or 1 year later.

Why is this important.  Should we actually do the unthinkable and draft a D this year, and possibly should we draft a D next year.  We're 2-3 years from all 3 of OJ, this and next years picks making the league, meaning we'd have NHL ready D from the last few drafts joining the same time as future forwards do.

Timeline fits, JB is an evil genius and the Canucks will be bad until 2020 with top 10 picks, top 15 in 2021 and playoffs by 2021/2022

5 years people hang on.

Oh and no I am not drinking, but am also not seriously worried about this or the next few drafts unless we see Rasmussen lumbering up the steps at 5

I just don't see them stacking D like that, they will develop better as a team with talent at all positions. But it does seem interesting having all three of them haha

3 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Even re-signing a couple of Sharp(35), Hemsky(33), Hudler(33) (or replacing them with UFA's), they're going to need top 6 help in the next couple years with Spezza(33) and Benn(27) also not getting any younger.

They either trade it for immediate help or draft a forward IMO. They've got decent young D. They'd also be wise to trade for another D ahead of the ED to improve on their top 4. I was hoping that would be us/Tanev before the lottery. Not sure we're as much of a fit now though.

With Ritchie, Faksa, Guryanov and Matej working out so well I think they've some very fine pieces moving forward.  And still being able to supplement via trade or free agency.

Seguin will be their 1st line center for the next decade, Spezza 2nd 3rd line center for a few more seasons, Faksa is on his way as well.  I just don't see their pressing need to draft a center right now and won't be shocked if they do in fact grab a D

Just now, cyoung said:

I just don't see them stacking D like that, they will develop better as a team with talent at all positions. But it does seem interesting having all three of them haha

Well JB did say a play making center or a puck moving D

Makar/Liljegren fit that bill

And should we suck again next year and win the 1st overall, Dahlin is leading the pack and I cannot pick a team that would draft a 1st line winger over a cannot miss 1st pairing D (Svechnikov/Dahlin)

It's all hypothetical but....

5 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

With Ritchie, Faksa, Guryanov and Matej working out so well I think they've some very fine pieces moving forward.  And still being able to supplement via trade or free agency.

Seguin will be their 1st line center for the next decade, Spezza 2nd 3rd line center for a few more seasons, Faksa is on his way as well.  I just don't see their pressing need to draft a center right now and won't be shocked if they do in fact grab a D

Who says it has to be a centre? They could take a W or one of the C can easily move to W. Mittelstadt or Vilardi would both be excellent wingers.

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

I have to say this

Apparently there IS a chance we take Liljegren at #5

I know people will be pissed if this happens.

But...there is also a chance we finish in the top 5 lottery position next year as well, meaning a shot at Dahlin 

In 3 drafts

Juolevi

Liljegren

Dahlin

Supplemented by Canadian born defensemen in the later rounds leaving the canucks with potentially the most stacked defense in the league in 5 to 7 years but also cementing our lack of forwards meaning we draft top 5-10 in 209 and 2020

People will be angry and frustrated which is certain.  But if we're drafting forwards in 2019 and 2020 as potential lottery picks again they stand a high chance of joining the team within the same year or 1 year later.

Why is this important.  Should we actually do the unthinkable and draft a D this year, and possibly should we draft a D next year.  We're 2-3 years from all 3 of OJ, this and next years picks making the league, meaning we'd have NHL ready D from the last few drafts joining the same time as future forwards do.

Timeline fits, JB is an evil genius and the Canucks will be bad until 2020 with top 10 picks, top 15 in 2021 and playoffs by 2021/2022

5 years people hang on.

Oh and no I am not drinking, but am also not seriously worried about this or the next few drafts unless we see Rasmussen lumbering up the steps at 5

People would most definitely be pissed at this..Liljegren has dropped quite a bit in the rankings and most certainly would not be a wise choice at 5....You go BPA all the way,picking that high....I wouldn't be opposed to getting him,but Benning should trade down the pick first...

4 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Who says it has to be a centre? They could take a W or one of the C can easily move to W. Mittelstadt or Vilardi would both be excellent wingers.

Which is why I pointed out that Dallas heavily scouted Tippett and Tolvanen pre lottery.  Mittlestadt by some accounts is looking like a Winger, center hybrid at the NHL level and wouldn't be a bad choice either for Dallas

Just now, Honky Cat said:

People would most definitely be pissed at this..Liljegren has dropped quite a bit in the rankings and most certainly would not be a wise choice at 5....You go BPA all the way,picking that high....I wouldn't be opposed to getting him,but Benning should trade down the pick first...

At 5, Hèiskanèn/Liljegren/Vilardi/Glass/Necas can all be argued to be the BPA is the issue.

That's the joy of this draft.  And let's be honest here.  We could ahve won the lottery and people would still be pissed with whatever JB does

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

Which is why I pointed out that Dallas heavily scouted Tippett and Tolvanen pre lottery.  Mittlestadt by some accounts is looking like a Winger, center hybrid at the NHL level and wouldn't be a bad choice either for Dallas

At 5, Hèiskanèn/Liljegren/Vilardi/Glass/Necas can all be argued to be the BPA is the issue.

That's the joy of this draft.  And let's be honest here.  We could ahve won the lottery and people would still be pissed with whatever JB does

Get 1st, Benning takes Hischier.

CDC: "Why didn't we take Patrick?!!?!?!!!! :frantic:"

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Honky Cat said:

I think he has dropped with the media, I'm betting most teams understand the mono factor and still have him pencilled into the top 5-7.  I wouldn't be at all surprised if he is taken before #5 or if JB takes him at #5.  This is a kid who was a challenger for 1st overall in September and who plays in the SHL, against men, I don't see him sliding very far.  Gradin will have a good read on him, I'm sure.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I'm assuming you're meaning Gurianov and stransky who arn't doing that good.  Stransky is their Greiner, and Gurianov has been somewhat of a disappointment for a 13 overall, especially considering 10 of the 12 player drafted immediately after: Zboril, DeBrusk, Barzal, Boeser, Konecny, Connor, Chabot, Svechnikov, Eriksson-Ek, White.  The stars top prospect outside of Honka, is Lindell, who they believe will be a top pairing shutdown D.   Faska, Shore, and Ritchie had decent years this year, but it's hard to peg them as top 6 players yet. 

2 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

They don't have a "pressing" need for center, but none of the picks (centers and D) are making NHL impacts in the next 2 seasons,  Picking a D makes just as little sense since he wouldn't be NHL ready for at least another 2 likely 3-4 seasons. Could they pick a D at 3? Possibly but it would only be because they believe he's the BPA.

If this pick had anything to do with a pressing need they would be trading it for immediate impact.

Just now, stawns said:

I think he has dropped with the media, I'm betting most teams understand the mono factor and still have him pencilled into the top 5-7.  I wouldn't be at all surprised if he is taken before #5 or if JB takes him at #5.  This is a kid who was a challenger for 1st overall in September and who plays in the SHL, against men, I don't see him sliding very far.  Gradin will have a good read on him, I'm sure.

I have read scouting reports from scouts in the field...Obviously,he's gifted with physical skills,but his mental side appears to be the issue..His play was not good even after the mono,but hey..that's why the Canucks have scouts..they see them more than me..

As far as the Canucks go..I believe their plan is to get a 1C..and there are quite a few centers to pick from (but how many are projected to be a legit 1C..?)..If there isn't one available at 5,they will pick what they believe to be a top pairing Dman.

Just now, Honky Cat said:

I have read scouting reports from scouts in the field...Obviously,he's gifted with physical skills,but his mental side appears to be the issue..His play was not good even after the mono,but hey..that's why the Canucks have scouts..they see them more than me..

As far as the Canucks go..I believe their plan is to get a 1C..and there are quite a few centers to pick from (but how many are projected to be a legit 1C..?)..If there isn't one available at 5,they will pick what they believe to be a top pairing Dman.

Ive had mono, it can often be up to a year before you're back to normal.  

11 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

I'm assuming you're meaning Gurianov and stransky who arn't doing that good.  Stransky is their Greiner, and Gurianov has been somewhat of a disappointment for a 13 overall, especially considering 10 of the 12 player drafted immediately after: Zboril, DeBrusk, Barzal, Boeser, Konecny, Connor, Chabot, Svechnikov, Eriksson-Ek, White.  The stars top prospect outside of Honka, is Lindell, who they believe will be a top pairing shutdown D.   Faska, Shore, and Ritchie had decent years this year, but it's hard to peg them as top 6 players yet. 

They don't have a "pressing" need for center, but none of the picks (centers and D) are making NHL impacts in the next 2 seasons,  Picking a D makes just as little sense since he wouldn't be NHL ready for at least another 2 likely 3-4 seasons. Could they pick a D at 3? Possibly but it would only be because they believe he's the BPA.

If this pick had anything to do with a pressing need they would be trading it for immediate impact.

OK

So, they wouldn't pick a defenseman or winger why?

Just curious if you've an opinion on this.  I am just saying to not be surprised if they trade the pick or draft a non center

17 minutes ago, stawns said:

I want so badly to get another 6-15 pick and take the best D available after selecting a C at 5. 

6 minutes ago, J.R. said:

I want so badly to get another 6-15 pick and take the best D available after selecting a C at 5. 

Agreed, though at this point, I'm kind of Glass or Liljegren

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

Agreed, though at this point, I'm kind of Glass or Liljegren

I want Lilj (or Makar, or...) too but I think Heiskanen is the better D and likely goes 1st. Possibly top 5.

Glass at 5 and Tanev to ARZ for their 1st for Lilj? 

Edited by J.R.

1 minute ago, J.R. said:

I want Lilj Or Makar, or...) too but I think Heiskanen is the better D and likely goes 1st. Possibly top 5.

Glass at 5 and Tanev to ARZ for their 1st for Lilj? 

Could you imagine?  I don't see anyway Arizona trades away their first though

Just now, stawns said:

Could you imagine?  I don't see anyway Arizona trades away their first though

They do need to start making hay on their rebuild. They're getting in to risky 'never-ending rebuild' territory ans wasting the best years of a guy like OEL if they don't actually start producing soon. Tanev could help solidify that back end as they bring in all those shiny forwards for the next ~5 years.

1 minute ago, J.R. said:

They do need to start making hay on their rebuild. They're getting in to risky 'never-ending rebuild' territory ans wasting the best years of a guy like OEL if they don't actually start producing soon. Tanev could help solidify that back end as they bring in all those shiny forwards for the next ~5 years.

no argument here.......two top 7 picks........they'd have to reserve a spot beside the Quinn statue for JB

12 minutes ago, J.R. said:

10 minutes ago, stawns said:

no argument here.......two top 7 picks........they'd have to reserve a spot beside the Quinn statue for JB

I love Tanev, however, I would do this deal in a heartbeat if Makar is available. He and Juolevi would be a dynamite first pair.