The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2017 NHL Draft - Chicago, Illinois June 23-24 2017

hyper00

Just now, dpn1 said:

I think JB has proven he drafts well.  The Canucks has never in their history had so many potental NHLers in their system.  We will be seeing the players JB has chosen start to be elegible to play in the AHL.  I have confidence that our 5th pick will be Glass.  He seems to be an ideal center to complement Bo.

Glass if he is there, Pettersson if he is not

• Upvote 1

Just now, R3aL said:

I was on the Dubois train - he still could be a solid pick. Still very early for him and he finished his year very strong.

I'm sure he will, I just don't like his game or his compete level.......not on the Nucks anyway

• Upvote 1

Yes, Glass is the player we need, but what if he's gone by #5? Benning will either go with Pettersson or Liljegren IMO. I know there will be a lot of critisism from some Canucks fans, but I'm hoping not. Whatever player we select will improve the future team. Canucks need a #2C with speed and skill and a RHD PPQB. That's Pettersson and Liljegren, or Makar. Instead of crying over who we don't take or get at #5, we should try to be optimistic about the players we do get.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Yes, Glass is the player we need, but what if he's gone by #5? Benning will either go with Pettersson or Liljegren IMO. I know there will be a lot of critisism from some Canucks fans, but I'm hoping not. Whatever player we select will improve the future team. Canucks need a #2C with speed and skill and a RHD PPQB. That's Pettersson and Liljegren, or Makar. Instead of crying over who we don't take or get at #5, we should try to be optimistic about the players we do get.

those are two pretty good consolation prizes, both of whom could very easily turn out to be the best players in the draft

• Upvote 1

There's literally 0 wrong move between Glass and Vilardi honestly.

Both right shooting centers.  Both have question marks about skating.  Both put up decent points.  Both will be large centers (Vilardi being far heavier and bigger already)

There's no wrong pick.  The only benefit to Vilardi is his age August 16 1999 vs Glass at April 1st 1999

And even THAT is a serious debate for benefit.  Vilardi is currently taller and heavier, Glass apparently could grow more.

No wrong answer there

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, stawns said:

those are two pretty good consolation prizes, both of whom could very easily turn out to be the best players in the draft

I agree. I'd be very happy with either one of Glass, Pettersson, Makar or Liljegren. If we draft Vilardi, that's good too, but it sounds like Benning is leaning towards a C with speed and skill, not a player with size who needs to work on his skating.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

There's literally 0 wrong move between Glass and Vilardi honestly.

Both right shooting centers.  Both have question marks about skating.  Both put up decent points.  Both will be large centers (Vilardi being far heavier and bigger already)

There's no wrong pick.  The only benefit to Vilardi is his age August 16 1999 vs Glass at April 1st 1999

And even THAT is a serious debate for benefit.  Vilardi is currently taller and heavier, Glass apparently could grow more.

No wrong answer there

I honestly don't think Vilardi is even on their radar

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Can't believe people aren't interested in Vilardi. Just crazy.

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, dpn1 said:

I think JB has proven he drafts well.  The Canucks has never in their history had so many potental NHLers in their system.  We will be seeing the players JB has chosen start to be elegible to play in the AHL.  I have confidence that our 5th pick will be Glass.  He seems to be an ideal center to complement Bo.

In the later rounds perhaps

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

Here's an audio clip from a few minutes ago where Malloy says if the Stars and Avs both take a defenceman then Vancouver should take Glass. 

Team1040 is reporting that Vegas is trying to get Philly's #2 pick and grab a centre. Not sure it impacts us, unless they move to #3 and grab a C.

LV moving up to the #2 doesn't impact the Canucks. They'll still take Patrick or Hischier. Maybe DAL or COL will take Vilardi, so the unhappy Canucks fans won't be able to blame Benning for not taking him. I'd rather have Glass than Vilardi.

• Upvote 1

Just now, NUCKER67 said:

LV moving up to the #2 doesn't impact the Canucks. They'll still take Patrick or Hischier. Maybe DAL or COL will take Vilardi, so the unhappy Canucks fans won't be able to blame Benning for not taking him. I'd rather have Glass than Vilardi.

I would also take Glass over Vilardi. My point was that Vegas has lots of picks to trade, as well as Fleury, to move up. If they move to 3 instead of 2, they will likely take a C; no idea if it's Glass or Vilardi. If Dallas stays at 3, they are more likely to take a D, increasing our odds of getting Glass.

• Upvote 1