The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

TSN's top 40 Free Agents - Haumhuis ranked 16th

springer

13 minutes ago, springer said:

Anyone actually remember how the trade deadline went down?

It was a snooze fest. For the most part, teams that could have used Hamhuis or Vrbata for a serious playoff run were already maxed out on cap space. And teams that weren't playoff contenders...like ours...were holding onto draft picks, particularly second round picks. If there was an opportunity to steal a player, sure, make the deal.

To get Gudbranson, Benning had no choice but to pay the price, no doubt there was a lot of sweat over it...and in the end, it will very likely turn out that it was worth it.

But as good as Hamhuis is, he's still 33 and entering UFA compared to Gudbranson at 24 with a year left on his contract,

I don't think there was ever any intention of signing Vrbata for another stint. He's 36, and clearly was not making the grade, meaning very little upside over the long run. They may very well have had no offers at all for his services.

But, regarding D-Men, Hamhuis presented a very real possibility for another three years. Of course they weren't going to let him go for virtually nothing in return, and then regret it later on.

As it turned out, they scored the highest rated D-Man in the draft, and Tryamkin  came over from the KHL. Then the primary focus turned to cap space in order pick up a high scoring forward. Had they got Dubois fifth overall, things might have looked a little different for Hamhuis in Vancouver.

Anyone who thinks managing a professional sports team these days is a walk in the park, and involves nothing more than big cajones and simple math, knows little of what he speaks.

FWIW

Awesome response!

2 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

1) Stamkos would change the team. The Sedins would move to the 2nd line. The rest of the division would certainly take notice.

2) Lucic would add extra nastiness and grit. He would instantly become a fan favourite, even by those that apparently hate him.

3) Eriksson would provide some offence and may click with the Sedins, but that top line may get bullied.

4) Martin, I want this guy. He's younger, big, and cheap.

Apparently hate him? I despise him and always will even if he were <stifle vomit> a Canuck. Fortunately, I don't have to worry about that thug disgracing a Canucks jersey since Boston wants him back, has the cap space, and he'll go back in a heartbeat. Lucic is pretty much off the table now to my relief.

Stamkos is a weird situation. He's willing to go to free agency rather than sign with a team in their Stanley Cup window right now. I question his commitment to winning in that case since it seems he's more interested in money and term. Also he's only been healthy enough to play one full season in the past four years.

I'm not sold on him but if the Canucks want him then Benning can't fool around and has to offer the maximum right out of the gate. However again I don't see the logic in paying him around the same price of both Sedins combined when he puts up less points. Seems like a step backward to me.

Erikkson I feel is too old for what the Canucks are trying to build.

Boedker and Martin are the right age and fit for the Canucks.

ugh .. this isn't panning out the way I thought it would ..    my prediction is that they will sign helm to replace the loss of buying out burrows ..  and ad lucic as the second free agent signing ( if he agrees to come ) 

these gotta be tough times for Canucks brass ..  Im sure its not easy to make decisions like this, with guys you like and respect so much .. 

What else can they do though ?   they are trying to ice the most competitive team they can, within the cap space they have .. 

tough decisions are just par for the coarse  .

Benning has so far avoided signing any contracts that are long term, his contract for Miller I think is the longest to date, that was out of necessity. I suspect he will continue like this as it allows him freedom to mould the team in any direction he chooses. He has had to carry the Sedins and Edler contracts too.

With this in mind I don't think he will go too hard after the top 4 or 5 UFA forwards that everyone is suggesting as he may not want to lock up the $ on those guys and lose the fluidity he has been able to achieve. 

I could be completely wrong but i am expecting to see a middle value UFA forward on a few year deal and then leave some money in the bank to up Horvat, Markstrom and Co next year

If the Canucks managed to convince a group of BC boys to come home and sign for less.

I think Lucic and Connolly would make people here happy if not then..

Eriksson/Boedker Helm 

Brouwer/Ladd Sceviour/Stempniak

Any or that group is realistic to sign and would be solid adds.

1 top six guy and 1 second tier guy for the bottom six.

Archived