The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

TSN's top 40 Free Agents - Haumhuis ranked 16th

springer

48 minutes ago, TheHitman said:

David Backes is the best fit for the Canucks IMO. Probably the best mentor for the young kids coming onto the team. Especially guys like Horvat and Boeser. 

Feel his price tag is too high, but honestly rather have him than lucic

56 minutes ago, springer said:

Think the Hammer's going to do very well on Friday. More power to him!

IMHO, two players are standouts for the 'Nucks, both on LW...

Loui Eriksson - Think he'd be a natural along side the Sedins.

Andrew Ladd - If we can't score Eriksson.

Not convinced about Lucic...albeit he would certainly add toughness up front. But I can't imagine him playing on a line with the twins. And not for the money and term he's going to command.

Hoping Benning doesn't go off the rails with some ridiculous offer for Stamkos...nobody is worth the kind of dough that's being talked about!

Kind of shows you what a poor job Canuck Management did  - wasting a very valuable asset in his UFA year.

Kind of reminds me of the poor job managment did with another Canuck UFA  Vrbata  in his UFA year.

Drafter Jim needs to go back  work on managing his UFA's contacts better if our club hopes to challenge for another cup some day.

3 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Kind of shows you what a poor job Canuck Management did  - wasting a very valuable asset in his UFA year.

Kind of reminds me of the poor job managment did with another Canuck UFA  Vrbata  in his UFA year.

Drafter Jim needs to go back  work on managing his UFA's contacts better if our club hopes to challenge for another cup some day.

12 minutes ago, Salacious Crumb said:

image.jpeg

1 minute ago, kingofsurrey said:

That photo shows exactly what JB / Willie   did to Vrbata's  value by the end of the season.....

Vrbata was quite capable of deflating his value on his own.  And rumours were that teams wanted Hamhuis for scraps, if that's the case then I'm glad Jim told them to kick rocks.

Just now, The Sedge said:

Vrbata was quite capable of deflating his value on his own.  And rumours were that teams wanted Hamhuis for scraps, if that's the case then I'm glad Jim told them to kick rocks.

Yup , your right.  Always great to see  2  highly rated UFA's   driven  down to zero value or moved / lost for nothing.

Great management. LOL 

13 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

You know there are a lot on players on this list who also could/should have been traded at the deadline..  Are those GM's brutal too?

1 minute ago, Stelar said:

You know there are a lot on players on this list who also could/should have been traded at the deadline..  Are those GM's brutal too?

How many of them were highly regarded UFA's on a  27th place team ?

1 minute ago, kingofsurrey said:

How many of them were highly regarded UFA's on a  27th place team ?

I actually looked at the list again and most of the UFA's were on playoff teams so my bad... carry on.

6 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

So far i am a  fan of JB's drafting but his UFA signings and trading looks pretty weak  -   LindaFromDelta 

his ufa signing haven't all worked out but i've liked them..vrbata, bartkowski...you could see what he was trying to do...no gm gets it right all the time...we'ld probably screw up sometimes too...well i should only talk for myself...i screw up supper every night..i use to live off scott road and 49th ave in delta..my house backed onto the school grounds...

Anyone actually remember how the trade deadline went down?

It was a snooze fest. For the most part, teams that could have used Hamhuis or Vrbata for a serious playoff run were already maxed out on cap space. And teams that weren't playoff contenders...like ours...were holding onto draft picks, particularly second round picks. If there was an opportunity to steal a player, sure, make the deal.

To get Gudbranson, Benning had no choice but to pay the price, no doubt there was a lot of sweat over it...and in the end, it will very likely turn out that it was worth it.

But as good as Hamhuis is, he's still 33 and entering UFA compared to Gudbranson at 24 with a year left on his contract,

I don't think there was ever any intention of signing Vrbata for another stint. He's 36, and clearly was not making the grade, meaning very little upside over the long run. They may very well have had no offers at all for his services.

But, regarding D-Men, Hamhuis presented a very real possibility for another three years. Of course they weren't going to let him go for virtually nothing in return, and then regret it later on.

As it turned out, they scored the highest rated D-Man in the draft, and Tryamkin  came over from the KHL. Then the primary focus turned to cap space in order pick up a high scoring forward. Had they got Dubois fifth overall, things might have looked a little different for Hamhuis in Vancouver.

Anyone who thinks managing a professional sports team these days is a walk in the park, and involves nothing more than big cajones and simple math, knows little of what he speaks.

FWIW

Archived