The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2016-2017 Opening Night Roster

Patrick Kane

2 hours ago, Captain_Burrows said:

The roster Canucks announced to the NHL includes Etem. I'm assuming this is temporary until they officially get Skille signed?

Etem needs to go through waivers - will be cleared (or claimed) tomorrow.  They can then send him to Utica which then opens up a roster spot to sign Skille.

On Tuesday, October 04, 2016 at 2:12 PM, S'all Good Man said:

Two things are mystifying me a bit on the lineups:

1. Why is everyone so quick to put Jake in Utica? He showed up to camp in great shape, we need a big body in the top 6 and he's just going to get better.

2. Hansen above the 4th line. On many other teams, Hansen is a 4th line RW. A very good one who also plays the PK. He got time with the twins out of desperation last year, but he and Gaunce on the 4th line can be a really effective checking line thats also a scoring threat. Dorsett can play either wing given what he contributes. 

1040? I wouldn't take anything they say to the bank. 

I agree with you about jake.

Hansen though is too good to be a 4th line player. Maybe though if the minutes are more towards balanced between the lines. So the 4th line about 13 instead of 8. 

Still would want to see him on the third 

Just now, CanadianRugby said:

Three times so far.  Hate all you want but him and McDavid will be spanking us for the next 10 years. 

No man, we'll show them! We refuse to lose man, go cheer for the leafz or oilerz you troll lolzzz 

rebuild on da fly yo. Jim Benning is so good at draftingz that he doesn't even needz draft pickz lolzzz 

2 minutes ago, CanadianRugby said:

Three times so far.  Hate all you want but him and McDavid will be spanking us for the next 10 years. 

Like the Sedins did to them over the last 10?

It's all part of the ups and downs of being a hockey fan.

3 minutes ago, CanadianRugby said:

Yeah, time to admit this team is awful and needs to rebuild instead of "going for it."  No? 

If the team is as awful as you say the tanking will take care of itself.

Unfortunately building a team isn't as simple as tearing it down and trying to get a number 1 pick. I find it funny how people think the Oilers and Leafs are destined for a cup now that they have a superstar. There's alot more to it than that.

We need to be filling in holes on this roster as we go. If that makes us a better team along the way so be it.

2 minutes ago, CanadianRugby said:

4 goals for Matthews.  He's the first player in NHL history to score 4 goals in his first game.  But tanking doesn't work right? 

What have they accomplished exactly?

Mats Sundin was a dominant player, I guess they must have won multiple cups with him, right?

It hurts me to say this but the leafs look like the fastest team I have ever seen in my life. Can we strip down and pick some players with speed and skill? I don't care if we lose 9-7 every night I'd way sooner watch that then Gudbransen banking it off the boards to dorsett in the neutral zone where he turns it over and the same think happens over and over for the next 59mins and 49 seconds. We lose 1-0 in the shootout where we don't even make the goalie go down into the butterfly. 

8 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

If the team is as awful as you say the tanking will take care of itself.

Unfortunately building a team isn't as simple as tearing it down and trying to get a number 1 pick. I find it funny how people think the Oilers and Leafs are destined for a cup now that they have a superstar. There's alot more to it than that.

We need to be filling in holes on this roster as we go. If that makes us a better team along the way so be it.

I've never suggested that tanking is the first and last step.  But acquiring elite talent happens by fluking off in the draft, or by drafting near the top.  If you're lucky enough to land a McDavid, Kane, Crosby, Ovechkin and so on.. you still have to build a team around them.  But how have teams been winning?  Drafting elite talent and while they're still young and relatively cheap, surrounding them with what they need.  Vancouver is doing the 2nd step but never did step 1.

17 minutes ago, CanadianRugby said:

I've never suggested that tanking is the first and last step.  But acquiring elite talent happens by fluking off in the draft, or by drafting near the top.  If you're lucky enough to land a McDavid, Kane, Crosby, Ovechkin and so on.. you still have to build a team around them.  But how have teams been winning?  Drafting elite talent and while they're still young and relatively cheap, surrounding them with what they need.  Vancouver is doing the 2nd step but never did step 1.

I don't think anyone is arguing that we don't need a number 1 center, but we have been building a foundation for the future despite the people screaming tank.

If anything these young players making an impact right away shows that we can acquire one of those players and have them contribute relatively quickly. As long as the Sedins are still here it's not likely that we'll be that bad though. 

Once they retire those will be the dark years. It was always going to be that way, whether management tried to manipulate a tank or not.

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I don't think anyone is arguing that we don't need a number 1 center, but we have been building a foundation for the future despite the people screaming tank.

If anything these young players making an impact right away shows that we can acquire one of those players and have them contribute relatively quickly. As long as the Sedins are still here it's not likely that we'll be that bad though. 

Once they retire those will be the dark years. It was always going to be that way, whether management tried to manipulate a tank or not.

I, and probably management, disagree with that assessment.  I think the young players and vets will carry Vancouver to be average to below average, especially if Demko is the real deal.  I see dark years ahead, but because we'll look like Calgary did in Iginla's last years not because we'll look like Edmonton.  I actually think Benning is doing a good job at improving the team, but to what end?  This team is not being built to win the cup, it's being built to compete for an 8th playoff spot. 

33 minutes ago, CanadianRugby said:

4 goals for Matthews.  He's the first player in NHL history to score 4 goals in his first game.  But tanking doesn't work right? 

Your hindsight is spot on.  It works sometimes, but they got lucky.  Tanking doesn't always work.  Matthews doesn't negate the reality that is Edmonton.  Besides, one game does not a season make.  Nor a general rule.  I'm happy with always trying to win.  It's a character thing.  GCG!  

7 minutes ago, CanadianRugby said:

I, and probably management, disagree with that assessment.  I think the young players and vets will carry Vancouver to be average to below average, especially if Demko is the real deal.  I see dark years ahead, but because we'll look like Calgary did in Iginla's last years not because we'll look like Edmonton.  I actually think Benning is doing a good job at improving the team, but to what end?  This team is not being built to win the cup, it's being built to compete for an 8th playoff spot. 

When we're one key injury away from being in the basement I don't tend to agree that we're a team built to compete for 8th spot. We're a team that can make the playoffs if everything goes right.

I'd rather have a chance to make the playoffs every year than to have our young guys grow up in a losing environment. There is a fine line between building for the future, and sacrificing the development of your current young players.

If we make the playoffs that will mean young guys like Horvat, Hutton, Virtanen, Baertschi, Gaunce and Granlund made huge strides. That's a good thing. If we miss the playoffs and end up with another top 5 pick, then the analysts will be right and we'll get another huge foundational piece.

I'm not sure what this management team could be doing to build for the future than it is doing already.

Just now, nux_win said:

Your hindsight is spot on.  It works sometimes, but they got lucky.  Tanking doesn't always work.  Matthews doesn't negate the reality that is Edmonton.  Besides, one game does not a season make.  Nor a general rule.  I'm happy with always trying to win.  It's a character thing.  GCG!  

What hindsight?  I've been calling for a tank for 3 seasons and loved what Toronto did last year, loaded up on picks. 

Matthews doesn't negate Edmonton, true.  But Edmonton doesn't negate the Penguins and Blackhawks, pretty sure Doughty was taken 2nd overall too. 

What non tanking teams have won the Stanley Cup recently? 

1 minute ago, CanadianRugby said:

What hindsight?  I've been calling for a tank for 3 seasons and loved what Toronto did last year, loaded up on picks. 

Matthews doesn't negate Edmonton, true.  But Edmonton doesn't negate the Penguins and Blackhawks, pretty sure Doughty was taken 2nd overall too. 

Boston.

The team whose GM we poached.

1 minute ago, CanadianRugby said:

None.  It's literally impossible to collect the elite assets needed to be a Cup team with either drafting high, or trading for players picked high.  You are 100% correct.

Archived