The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mafia-CDC alumni- game over- mafia wins

milk and honey

Who is the GOAT at mafia  

15 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, Beluga Whale said:

I thought about that but I doubt they would sacrifice the KP this early.

I'm still on the fence about whether that's the optimal play or not. 

Toews, what do you think?

If I'm following along correctly, I like the idea of figuring out the sheriff situation as quickly as possible. Even if this is a mafia gambit to kill the real sheriff, it's probably a better option than having 4 sheriffs who don't know which one they are and doing nothing to help us. At least with Dral's idea, we'll have some sort of information to work with. 

Also agreed that it's a pretty towny play. Not sure why the mafia would want to sacrifice their kingpin for something that, at least IMO, is a fairly decent move for the town. 

We should probably discuss the pros and cons of this idea this round though. What do we gain by letting our sheriffs hide in the background until they all have interesting results? (Not a rhetorical question FYI.) Is there the potential for that to be more useful than sorting out the sheriff situation early on, and losing the useful ones before end game? As I said in my last post, I'm leaning towards Dral's idea as being the better one. Certainly open to discussion though.

12 minutes ago, Intoewsables said:

We should probably discuss the pros and cons of this idea this round though. What do we gain by letting our sheriffs hide in the background until they all have interesting results? (Not a rhetorical question FYI.) Is there the potential for that to be more useful than sorting out the sheriff situation early on, and losing the useful ones before end game? As I said in my last post, I'm leaning towards Dral's idea as being the better one. Certainly open to discussion though.

His idea of all sheriffs investigating him then lynching him to sort some of the sheriffs I assume?

2 hours ago, Dral said:

stupid idea... not going to happen

All Sheriffs investigate me this round! When I die and come up TP you'll know what you are when your 2nd investigation result differs from what you got for me

I read your bolded proposal as an early game joke post at first but that idea is actually pretty good. Get the confusion over which sheriff the sheriff's are mostly cleared (Since if you're TP, naive/reg and psycho/paranoid will get the same result).

45 minutes ago, Intoewsables said:

With no PM'ing, the sheriffs can't use a spokesperson. There isn't good reason to come out until you have a good idea of which sheriff you are which will take to probably round 3/4. The chances the mafia randomly hit a sheriff with those 3 to 4 kills isn't high. 1 in 5 players is a sheriff. And even if they get lucky, losing a sheriff would clear some confusion in it's own way.

3 minutes ago, Where's Wellwood said:

I read your bolded proposal as an early game joke post at first but that idea is actually pretty good. Get the confusion over which sheriff the sheriff's are mostly cleared (Since if you're TP, naive/reg and psycho/paranoid will get the same result).

What is the 2nd step though?

The Dral Plan will split the sheriffs into two categories like you show. We essentially have 2 valuable sheriffs in the regular and the psycho and two useless in the paranoid and naive. Dral's death gives a foundation but the 2nd round kill will be huge in identifying them. 

The issue is no PM's but maybe we can plan the moves. We have the doctor still who can save someone twice in a row.

Drals plan has potential but could also be a disaster if the Mafia get a lucky hit or the next move is poor.

We also can't be sure if all the Sheriffs will be on board with the idea even if we reach an agreement in the thread. It's possible one has used their investigation already for this round, and it's likely one or more of them isn't paying full attention to the game.

10 minutes ago, One one two said:

We also can't be sure if all the Sheriffs will be on board with the idea even if we reach an agreement in the thread. It's possible one has used their investigation already for this round, and it's likely one or more of them isn't paying full attention to the game.

If we don't get the Dral plan down then maybe we should give a lay out to help the sheriffs identify themselves. In addition I will also add that the Dral plan doesn't have to kill Dral it just has to be the same target. 

41 minutes ago, Baka said:

What is the 2nd step though?

The Dral Plan will split the sheriffs into two categories like you show. We essentially have 2 valuable sheriffs in the regular and the psycho and two useless in the paranoid and naive. Dral's death gives a foundation but the 2nd round kill will be huge in identifying them. 

The issue is no PM's but maybe we can plan the moves. We have the doctor still who can save someone twice in a row.

Drals plan has potential but could also be a disaster if the Mafia get a lucky hit or the next move is poor.

Here's the full plan (assuming Dral is TP):

• All sheriffs investigate Dral this round.
  • Dral flips TP. Now all the sheriffs will be closer to figuring out their actual identity. The psycho and paranoid sheriffs will receive a mafia result while the real sheriff and the naive will receive a TP result.
  • The subsequent investigations will likely be on players in the PoE. 
  • At this point the sheriffs will continue investigating until they get a result that is different from their first one. E.i. the psycho sheriff receiving a Town result and the real sheriff receiving TP result. At that point we will basically have two real sheriffs and it will likely be ideal for them to claim. The paranoid and naive sheriffs would probably claim here too to remove themselves from the PoE.

If everything goes as planned then this could be really helpful for the town. The only major issue is that discussion on the lynch next round is pretty much ruined. And the fact that Dral came up with the idea. :P

20 minutes ago, One one two said:

Investigations are night actions but that's a valid point about one of them possibly not being on board. 

This is just a random thought but there's a very high chance that any scum about to be lynched will claim sheriff. I'm bringing this up because I'm not too sure what the optimal play would be in that scenario. 

2 minutes ago, Beluga Whale said:

Here's the full plan (assuming Dral is TP):

• All sheriffs investigate Dral this round.
  • Dral flips TP. Now all the sheriffs will be closer to figuring out their actual identity. The psycho and paranoid sheriffs will receive a mafia result while the real sheriff and the naive will receive a TP result.
  • The subsequent investigations will likely be on players in the PoE. 
  • At this point the sheriffs will continue investigating until they get a result that is different from their first one. E.i. the psycho sheriff receiving a Town result and the real sheriff receiving TP result. At that point we will basically have two real sheriffs and it will likely be ideal for them to claim. The paranoid and naive sheriffs would probably claim here too to remove themselves from the PoE.

If everything goes as planned then this could be really helpful for the town. The only major issue is that discussion on the lynch next round is pretty much ruined. And the fact that Dral came up with the idea. :P

I can buy that though should both the Psycho and real sheriff claim? Or should one claim and the other hold back? If both claim it gives the Mafia 2 targets but if one claims they can be saved for 2 rounds by the doctor. Then once killed the other sheriff can come forward and get 2 rounds. Assuming none are hit by a random mafia kill. or do you feel it would be best two have both sheriffs in sync and let the doctor and mafia play a guessing game together?

I'm not sure on this sheriff thing. I don't think I've played a game with 4 sheriffs, unless it was one of those 1st. 2nd. round exits of mine.

I can see it working if all the sheriffs investigate one player and the town lynches that player. IF they ALL can't coordinate this round then there is the second round. At least the regular and psycho sheriffs will KNOW their results and just keep investigating and saving the results. If the Doc survives a lynch or MK (fluke choice) he can save the sheriff twice in a row after sheriff claims. We might be only searching for 2 or 3 mafia by that time. Worst case after 2 rounds it is 11 vs 5. WE willingly lynch a TP either way.

This is the part I don't like, lynching TP, but at least this time it might benefit the town.

I want to hear the more experienced players concern/agreement on this proposal

27 minutes ago, One one two said:

This is a really good point, actually. The whole plan could potentially go to crap if one of our four sheriffs decides to investigate someone before reading through the thread. I'm not sure I like those odds. 

Just now, Baka said:

I can buy that though should both the Psycho and real sheriff claim? Or should one claim and the other hold back? If both claim it gives the Mafia 2 targets but if one claims they can be saved for 2 rounds by the doctor. Then once killed the other sheriff can come forward and get 2 rounds. Assuming none are hit by a random mafia kill. or do you feel it would be best two have both sheriffs in sync and let the doctor and mafia play a guessing game together?

Actually yeah in that scenario it might be better for one to hold back since we can only kill one mafia per round anyway. I only thought they should both claim immediately because otherwise you run the risk of losing the sheriff who didn't come forward before they could openly reveal their investigation. 

4 minutes ago, Intoewsables said:

This is a really good point, actually. The whole plan could potentially go to crap if one of our four sheriffs decides to investigate someone before reading through the thread. I'm not sure I like those odds. 

I have noticed that people DON"T read the thread, but skim and skip.

Archived