The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

84 dead when truck runs into crowd on Bastille Day in Nice, France

nuckin_futz

3 hours ago, canuckster19 said:

See my link above.

Is ISIS Behind Bastille Day Terrorist Attack in Nice, France?

this is the title of your link. 

It doesn't say ISIS did it.  It doesn't say 'this is the Muslims fault'. 

It suggests it with no fact behind it.  

Also, it's another classic garbage source provided by the one and only canuckster19.    

its another sad day in the world. 

So much hate all the time. 

Edit:

some reports are saying the driver was French. 

10 minutes ago, ILL BILL NECRO said:

Why is France getting hit so hard? Lots of other countries in Europe have been safe from attack.  Are they pretty active in the fight against isis?

The population in France is known (from what ive heard) to be very racist towards muslims, indians etc. Colors inbetween black and white. They tend to assume you're an automatic terrorist, they don't serve you in certain restaurants and double bill you from things ive heard. Not sure how much of it is true, but all attacks are happening there cor some reason it seems.

1 hour ago, Red Light Racicot said:

I can understand if people want to do another #PrayFor thing, but please at least keep in mind that praying and religion is why this kind of thing happens in the first place.

Praying didn't just kill 80 people with a truck.

29 minutes ago, riffraff said:

Praying didn't just kill 80 people with a truck.

I don't know who is responsible, and it's wrong to say that a small group of extremists and their actions speak for a whole religion. 

I do however, believe organized religion is one of the biggest causes of hate and problems in the world.

People have their own interpretation on what their book says, and can cause them to do dumbass things such as look down on a young girl for aborting a baby she can't handle, shoot up a gay night club, etc.....

It is obviously all about individuals, but the idea of killing for religious beliefs wouldent even be there if it wasn't for religion to begin with. 

14 minutes ago, drummerboy said:

I don't know who is responsible, and it's wrong to say that a small group of extremists and their actions speak for a whole religion. 

I do however, believe organized religion is one of the biggest causes of hate and problems in the world.

People have their own interpretation on what their book says, and can cause them to do dumbass things such as call someone a f@ggot for being gay, look down on a young girl for aborting a baby she can't handle, shoot up a gay night club, etc.....

It is obviously all about individuals, but the idea of killing for religious beliefs wouldent even be there if it wasn't for religion to begin with. 

Yeah

im not disagreeing with you entirely. I guess as I've gotten older I've been able to separate faith and religion as a result of meeting many great people of varying faiths.

personally I see the word religion used to often as a blanket.  And we all know what happens when we make blanket statements.  Not saying you are specifically.

and to be clear, I've also known quality people of no faith or religion.  

17 minutes ago, drummerboy said:

People have their own interpretation on what their book says, and can cause them to do dumbass things such as look down on a young girl for aborting a baby she can't handle, shoot up a gay night club, etc.....

Meh. I believe humans are the biggest cause of hate and problems in the world, not religion. People make as many excuses as they want, but hate is embedded in our DNA, whether there is religion, or no religion.

23 minutes ago, riffraff said:

Yeah

im not disagreeing with you entirely. I guess as I've gotten older I've been able to separate faith and religion as a result of meeting many great people of varying faiths.

personally I see the word religion used to often as a blanket.  And we all know what happens when we make blanket statements.  Not saying you are specifically.

and to be clear, I've also known quality people of no faith or religion.  

Absolutely.  I have many great relationships with people who are Christian, Catholic, sihk, Muslim, and atheist. 

I find the atheist folks I know tend to be a lot more liberal and 'do what you do, I don't care' than say a devout Christian. 

Most religious people I know are fine people, but you aren't going to find an atheist extremist who wants to shoot up a gay bar because of his lack of beliefs tho. 

Turning this thread into another religious battle isn't what is needed right now tho.  

Lets keep the people of France in our hearts tonight.  

Love and acceptance is the only thing that is going to stop all this horror. 

Unfortunatly we have too many judgmental and ignorant people running around for that mentality to set it and make a change. 

Until we all figure out we need to all work together, terror wins the war. 

40 minutes ago, drummerboy said:

22 minutes ago, Darkstar said:

Meh. I believe humans are the biggest cause of hate and problems in the world, not religion. People make as many excuses as they want, but hate is embedded in our DNA, whether there is religion, or no religion.

I do believe people are naturally xenophobic.  Obviously the VAST majority of people don't do acts like this, but I think, to a certain extent, people are naturally scared of what is different.  

Saying that, religion, in the wrong hands, can intensify xenophobia for sure.  But it can't be ignored that religion probably does more to ease xenophobia across the world than to intensify it.

2 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

I do believe people are naturally xenophobic.  Obviously the VAST majority of people don't do acts like this, but I think, to a certain extent, people are naturally scared of what is different.  

Saying that, religion, in the wrong hands, can intensify xenophobia for sure.  But it can't be ignored that religion probably does more to ease xenophobia across the world than to intensify it.

I agree with people in general being xenophobic. 

I disagree with religion easing it tho.  

but like I said in my last post, I don't think this is the right thread to be debating religion.    

I'm going to stick to France in this thread. Just seems right to me. 

Maybe time for another  Religion vs. Atheism thread?  Hahah

9 minutes ago, drummerboy said:

Absolutely.  I have many great relationships with people who are Christian, Catholic, sihk, Muslim, and atheist. 

I find the atheist folks I know tend to be a lot more liberal and 'do what you do, I don't care' than say a devout Christian. 

Most religious people I know are fine people, but you aren't going to find an atheist extremist who wants to shoot up a gay bar because of his lack of beliefs tho. 

Turning this thread into another religious battle isn't what is needed right now tho.  

Lets keep the people of France in our hearts tonight.  

Love and acceptance is the only thing that is going to stop all this horror. 

Unfortunatly we have too many judgmental and ignorant people running around for that mentality to set it and make a change. 

Until we all figure out we need to all work together, terror wins the war. 

Totally I agree.

as I said I wasn't disagreeing with you.  I should have just ignored the posters comment I responded to.  But I felt it a contributor to the overall problem.

anyway.  I won't derail further.

I gotta say.  For some reason, I'm not sure why yet exactly, this incident has legit shocked me more than some of the others. Certainly the method has a lot to do with it.  

Man.  This past little while has been so sad and I haven't even been directly affected by any of the terrible violence.

4 minutes ago, riffraff said:

I gotta say.  For some reason, I'm not sure why yet exactly, this incident has legit shocked me more than some of the others. Certainly the method has a lot to do with it.  

Man.  This past little while has been so sad and I haven't even been directly affected by any of the terrible violence.

It's hard to get emotional about these kinda things when you know another and another is on its way.  

You get desensitized to things after seeing it over and over.    It's heartbreaking this can happen with a thing like terror attacks, but that is the world we live in. 

22 minutes ago, clam linguine said:

It was bound to happen with the French allowing all those big trucks to drive around.

I wasn't going to give you a minus when I read this before, but it is a total douchebag comment and it didnt deserve the plus someone gave you. 

So -1 it is.  

1 minute ago, drummerboy said:

It's hard to get emotional about these kinda things when you know another and another is on its way.  

You get desensitized to things after seeing it over and over.    It's heartbreaking this can happen with a thing like terror attacks, but that is the world we live in. 

Do you mean heartbreaking that we can become desensitized?

Archived