The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Stephen Harper Resigns as MP

Ossi Vaananen

2 hours ago, jono2009 said:

Writing off Trudeau after 9 months? Usually Presidents/Prime Ministers etc need more than 9 months to address major changes that are major impacts. 

Usually Presidents/Prime Ministers etc don't drop elbows in Parliament!

:ph34r:

11 hours ago, gerry35 said:

He wasn't perfect (no one is) but he was the best PM we have had in a long time, a much better man than the current occupant. 

I do find it really interesting that some Conservative voters are so blinded by the party name that they have lost sight of what their own political values are.

His style of politics was akin to a fascist state. Media was heavily controlled; questions were limited. The leader was practically out of reach for most Canadians. The scandals within his own party - are among the most for one party. His endorsements for certain people turned out to be quite questionable, namely Mike Duffy.

There's also the part where he denied that Canada was entering a recession and even said that we had a surplus. That 'surplus' was due to him not spending anything. (That's not a surplus - it's called not spending when you needed to spend it). Nothing to do with how good you are at balancing budget. By the way, our debt is one of the worst in Canadian political history. Some of it can be blamed on the Liberals, but the Conservatives were in power for a long time. That debt has grown from where it used to be, indicating that they weren't as good money managers as advertised.

Lastly, the young voters came out to vote out this guy for the first time. The defeat is also one of the most lopsided in Canadian political history. It really did indicate that a lot of people really thought he did not deserve more time in power.

When you say he is 'one of the best PMs in recent memory', how recent are you talking about? I'd have to say William Lyon McKenzie was a better PM than Harper. Voters put him back in three times.

Lots of people quoting me lol. I'll try to explain a bit more before I go on holidays early Sunday morning.

I'll go back to when I was a little guy in the 1970's

Trudeau I - Some will consider him the best he did bring home the constitution which was a big step for us. He also hated western Canada other and wasn't afraid to  show it. He set us on the path we are on today with reckless spending and I would say his multiculturalism initiative was a failure and we have lost today what it means to be a Canadian. Others may disagree.

Joe Clark - wasn't in power long enough.

John Turner - had some courage and was likeable but was a transitional PM and couldn't stop the Mulroney juggernaut about to hit him. I saw him as a proud Canadian.

Brian Mulroney - not really a fan, honestly not sure what to make of him.

Kim Campbell - not very bright and with their mocking of Jean Cretien's face in the election their fate was sealed. The Conservatives were doomed by that time and the west revolted to start the Reform party.

Jean Cretien - I actually liked the guy and respected the man but hated some his policies especially the gun registry fiasco which was a giant waste of our money. He also was at the helm for the biggest scandal in Canadian history that I am aware of in the Sponsorship scandal which cost us hundreds of millions of dollars. Obviously loved his country a lot

Paul Martin - kind of a shyster and wanted power way to much but he was going down on a sinking ship. Did some good things with our finances.

Stephen Harper - wasn't actually Conservative enough for my liking and I wish he would have controlled spending more. Kept us from disaster when the U.S. almost went down the tubes (the people in power screwed the little guys and made out like bandits in my opinion, I would bet it was planned for just that purpose) The typically left wing Canadian media was out to get him so you can't blame him for not wanting to have anything to do with them. I liked the man and found him refreshing, not flashy but deep down a decent person. I bet he would be the kind of guy who would sit back with almost anyone and talk hockey with them. I don't doubt he loves Canada very much. Had a good run but all things come to an end. 

So yes I found him to be the best PM in my lifetime although others may choose Trudeau I or Jean Cretien.

I consider myself conservative........that being said I waste my vote on the green party because being conservative means don't waste money on stupid stuff! If I was in charge I would rule with an iron fist! no more wasting money on stupid things no more golden pensions not wasting time and effort opposing things because the bible said so and a $50 fine that goes into my pocket if you piss me off

I'm becoming more of a Libertarian these days, much less government is needed. We are taxed far too much to support things that just aren't needed.  I'm tired of the nanny state some want us to be in and the Social Justice Warriors we have these days.

18 hours ago, gerry35 said:

Kim Campbell - not very bright and with their mocking of Jean Cretien's face in the election their fate was sealed. The Conservatives were doomed by that time and the west revolted to start the Reform party.

To be fair, I don't think she had anything to do with those ads. Her biggest mistake was not looking at them first and not keeping her party in line with regards to the attack ads. 

Re: Stephen Harper.... I won't miss him, but nor will I pretend that Justin Trudeau is as good as his PR team makes him look. Stephen Harper will probably go down as one of the most polarizing figures in Canadian politics in a long while. Trudeau will probably be able to ride the "fixing Harper's mess" to a 2nd term, then the fairy dust will wear off and people will finally stop treating him like a celebrity and more like a politician. 

16 hours ago, Lillooet_Hillbilly said:

I consider myself conservative........that being said I waste my vote on the green party because being conservative means don't waste money on stupid stuff! If I was in charge I would rule with an iron fist! no more wasting money on stupid things no more golden pensions not wasting time and effort opposing things because the bible said so and a $50 fine that goes into my pocket if you piss me off

Pretty sure you're not conservative then ;)

16 hours ago, gerry35 said:

Lots of people quoting me lol. I'll try to explain a bit more before I go on holidays early Sunday morning.

Trudeau I - Some will consider him the best he did bring home the constitution which was a big step for us. He also hated western Canada other and wasn't afraid to  show it. He set us on the path we are on today with reckless spending and I would say his multiculturalism initiative was a failure and we have lost today what it means to be a Canadian. Others may disagree.

John Turner - had some courage and was likeable but was a transitional PM and couldn't stop the Mulroney juggernaut about to hit him. I saw him as a proud Canadian.

Jean Cretien - I actually liked the guy and respected the man but hated some his policies especially the gun registry fiasco which was a giant waste of our money. He also was at the helm for the biggest scandal in Canadian history that I am aware of in the Sponsorship scandal which cost us hundreds of millions of dollars. Obviously loved his country a lot

Paul Martin - kind of a shyster and wanted power way to much but he was going down on a sinking ship. Did some good things with our finances.

Stephen Harper - wasn't actually Conservative enough for my liking and I wish he would have controlled spending more. Kept us from disaster when the U.S. almost went down the tubes (the people in power screwed the little guys and made out like bandits in my opinion, I would bet it was planned for just that purpose) The typically left wing Canadian media was out to get him so you can't blame him for not wanting to have anything to do with them. I liked the man and found him refreshing, not flashy but deep down a decent person. I bet he would be the kind of guy who would sit back with almost anyone and talk hockey with them. I don't doubt he loves Canada very much. Had a good run but all things come to an end. 

So yes I found him to be the best PM in my lifetime although others may choose Trudeau I or Jean Cretien.

Mulroney is the one who brought in the GST. After doing some reading, the GST was necessary, but he was one very unpopular PM.

Harper wasn't the one who fixed the economy during the recession. I posted a link earlier in the thread that actually explains it all.

18 hours ago, gerry35 said:

Chretien & Martin balanced the budget & paid down our debt. All with a dollar trading much lower than a US buck.

AdScam cost Canadians tens of millions, not hundreds. Even after all the lawyer blah blah blah.

Archived