The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Two best friends break down in tears as they find out they were switched at birth

PrideInThisTeam

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-news/two-best-friends-break-down-8722185

Two best friends were switched at birth and raised by each other's family.

David Tait and Leon Swanson, both 41, broke down in tears as they were told the news at a press conference.

David said he "wanted answers" after learning that he and his pal had been swapped at Norway House Hospital in 1975 in the western Canadian province of Manitoba.

DNA testing confirmed that the two men, who live in the same small town of 5,000 people mostly indigenous from the Cree Nation, had been mixed up.

Mr Tait said he felt "distraught, confused and angry" upon hearing the news.

"I want answers so bad. It's going to affect us one way or the other, I know that. It's going to be a long journey," he added.

He went on to say that the people who raised him "would always be mom and dad, regardless" but he now he had "another brother, another mom and dad".

In November, the Manitoba government said two other men who were close friends were also switched at birth in 1975, at the same Norway House Hospital.

Luke Monias and Norman Barkman's case prompted Mr Tait and Mr Swanson to have their DNA tested.

Eric Robinson, a former Manitoba cabinet minister who is helping the men said: "The federal government owes these people

"What happened to them is criminal. We can live with one mistake, but two mistakes of a similar nature is not acceptable.

"We can't slough it off as being a mistake. It was a criminal act. It's something (the government) can't sweep under the carpet. There are lingering questions out there."

Just now, Fateless said:

Sad yes, but charges? Against whom? For what? Keep in mind Statute of Limitations - it's been 41 years.

Imagine your child was switched. You would want to press charges right? Besides, if someone commits Murder, and it is found out 40 years later, you would still want them to go to jail right?

45 minutes ago, Stamkos said:

Imagine your child was switched. You would want to press charges right? Besides, if someone commits Murder, and it is found out 40 years later, you would still want them to go to jail right?

I'm not entirely sure I'd be upset or indifferent or happy. Personally I'd rather just not know, and be happy with the relationship I have. Very unfortunate situation. 

Statute of limitations is to give the defendant a fair chance in trial and to make sure the accuser doesn't abuse the threat of charges. You have the right to legal action, but I agree you should lose that right after a certain amount of time. A defendant could be unaware and that could reduce his ability to defend fairly. In this case, how can you determine for sure, who to charge with this Negligence? 

Edit: Had no idea murder had an unlimited time to bring the charges, in Canada. Not sure I entirely agree with that. 

32 minutes ago, Stamkos said:

There's no statute of limitation for murder.

It's obvious the nurses in the post natal wing were drunk as f&%k, a couple of times at least. They should probably do a full blown baby audit, think of how many other drunken mishaps probably took place, sketchy nurses... at least these days protocols are different.

If it was my child and I was finding out 45 years later, I'd be so angry and confused. It would be a total mind frack. I'd want revenge of some sort.

I find it a little astonishing how this story is not top news for Canadian news outlets.

Google searching "Friends switched at birth" reveals the top two hits as Fox News, and the OPs British based news outlet filed under "Weird News".

There are no "Canadian" sources on the first page of listings.

I can't even imagine what I would think if my daughter had been switched at birth with another child.

4 hours ago, The Weasel said:

Can you imagine if you liked your best friend's parents way more and then found out that they were actually your parents?

Or better yet, you thought you were incredibly studly after you slept with your best friends mom when you were 18 and then found out 23 years later that she.....

12 hours ago, Stamkos said:

First off, comparing this situation to murder is a little ridiculous. 

Second, I wouldn't really bat an eye if it was 40 years later. The people that raised me are my family - blood ties really have little importance to me. Is it worth the effort to search through records to find out who may or may not have switched my children (plus whether it was accidental or intentional). Its just not worth it on an emotional level, nor is there any legal avenue. 

On top of it all, they're best friends. They're all one big happy family anyways.

9 hours ago, SabreFan1 said:

Or better yet, you thought you were incredibly studly after you slept with your best friends mom when you were 18 and then found out 23 years later that she.....

I believe the proper procedure then is to prick your eyes with the pin of a brooch and be led away by your sister/daughter to Athens to live out your life as a blind old incestuous man. 

Archived