The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Movies About Rock or Pop Music

NicoleJS

2 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

I am absolutely shocked..........SHOCKED that no one has mentioned Rock Star yet.

Utter, undeniable SHOCK.

The only time I've hated Timothy Olyphant, and it's not because his character is unwatchable.

Spoiler

It's because the movie sucks.

4 minutes ago, Monty said:

The only time I've hated Timothy Olyphant, and it's not because his character is unwatchable.

Reveal hidden contents

It's because the movie sucks.

Is he any good? I only know of him in Perfect Getaway. That was just a 'I don't mind killing two hours' kind of movie.

Spoiler

You are too kind. The suck from that movie is enough to create a vortex to eat up all the dark matter in the universe.............on no.........wait........that is just the suck of Mark Wahlberg. ::D 

12 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

Is he any good? I only know of him in Perfect Getaway. That was just a 'I don't mind killing two hours' kind of movie.

Reveal hidden contents

You are too kind. The suck from that movie is enough to create a vortex to eat up all the dark matter in the universe.............on no.........wait........that is just the suck of Mark Wahlberg. ::D 

Timothy Olyphant is terrific. Justified and Deadwood. Although, Justified is a lot easier to get through (ie. Not as rough).

Rock Hard: The Dewey Cox Story - loved the "cameos" of 60s artists.

Love and Mercy - biopic of Brian Wilson.

The Life and Hard Times of Guy Terrifico - Canadian mockumentary.  Might not be for everyone, and has been super hard to find.  I saw it during the VFF, but it was interesting.  Lots of appearances by Canadian artists.

For ones I don't think are listed yet:  

CBGB 

That Thing You Do

Get On Up 

Always loved the Wall, the Doors (Val Kilmer was a perfect choice, IMO), Blues Brothers, and I've been wanting to see Almost Famous again for a while now... been too long.  Walk the Line was also impressive.  I'm sure there are more to add later.

Not sure if anyone has mentioned the movie FM yet. It's about a radio station (In fact, the TV series WKRP in Cincinnati was based on the movie) but it also features live performances by Linda Ronstadt, Jimmy Buffet, Tom Petty and REO Speedwagon. Steely Dan, Queen, Bob Seger, The Eagles, James Taylor and Billy Joel were all also featured on the soundtrack album, which went multi-platinum in 1979.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FM_(film)

Archived