The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

In to deep now?

danjr

Just now, Wilbur said:

You're putting words in most peoples mouths.  Many on here, including me, were saying this was a bubble team at best if things went right.  Clearly things aren't going right so the Canucks will have to put a lot of wins together before getting back to bubble status.  Also, many of these same people didn't buy into the "retool on the fly" either.  Just against tanking on purpose.

Not every Canucks fan obviously. Alot of fans however just blindly believe whatever management tells them and can't see things objectively. You obviously aren't one of those so it doesn't apply.

2 minutes ago, Tystick said:

Considering half of our team isn't scoring at the moment, we're definitely capable of more. 

Maybe a goal or two more, but thats about it. We're far, far away from anything resembling a playoff team, and this roster would get raped, and stomped on by the Stanley Cup Finals team we had.

26 minutes ago, Blueberries said:

Honestly we didn't even have a legit chance of making the playoffs.

This. The people who thought we ever had a chance at making the playoffs are the deluded homers on CDC, don't listen to them, in fact disagree with them, maybe we can encourage more objectivity on these boards. This team will most likely have one of the worst goal scoring records in NHL history, and the worst in franchise history this year, it's kind of depressing in a way.

1 minute ago, GoBoGo53 said:

Were you not on CDC over the summer? Almost every news outlet predicted us finishing last, only to see the backlash of CDC with "Eastern Bias". 

I was not on CDC over the summer but I read some of the predictions.

You can give me a hard time if you want but I have a hard time believing half of our team is going to remain cold for the rest of season.

7 minutes ago, Chris said:

Maybe a goal or two more, but thats about it. We're far, far away from anything resembling a playoff team, and this roster would get raped, and stomped on by the Stanley Cup Finals team we had.

Well we're definitely not built to win the cup.

We wont be for a while.

38 minutes ago, drsofthands said:

If you thought the canucks were going to be good this year...

Don't make any more predictions. Any of you who thought canucks could compete for a playoff spot, let alone the cup are clearly so blind and in denial. Let this be proof to you that you have no idea what youre talking about. And next time you make a prediction, stop, think, and realize you havent got a clue

honestly hilarious how many people thought this was going to work. Get it through your thick head that sometimes teams have to tank, and they dont do it because they want to, they do it because they need to. And raising prospects in a 'winning environment' is a pipe dream, and nothing more than an empty promise.

Nothing wrong with misjudging how good we might be this year.  No harm done anyway.  The true criminals are those who did not embrace the tank last year. Matthews should be ours.

4 minutes ago, Tystick said:

You can give me a hard time if you want but I have a hard time believing half of our team is going to remain cold for the rest of season.

I read your earlier post and you think the team is capable of scoring more. But what leads you to believe that? That's just such an arbitrary opinion. Our systems suck at producing offense, the proof is in the pudding. Individual plays of brilliance don't happen with regularity, that's why they are special plays. Fundamentally, we lack scoring depth, so the other teams can just match up against the Sedins and they don't care who plays against the other 3 lines. We will almost certainly have the lowest goal total for in franchise history this year, think about that, consider who we have on this team, and think about the fact that that is the likely outcome. Sedins, Eriksson, Sutter, Horvat, Hansen, Baertschi... Our coaching staff is a joke, but our roster isn't much better, but this team has had worse teams and scored more. That should tell you something.

13 minutes ago, Tystick said:

Oh no man, you can believe whatever you want, didn't mean anything otherwise.

You are right, of course they aren't going to remain cold for the rest of the season, but at the same time, I don't think they had the talent to begin with. Alot of people overestimated this team and how good they could possibly be.

3 hours ago, Aircool said:

I read your earlier post and you think the team is capable of scoring more. But what leads you to believe that? That's just such an arbitrary opinion. Our systems suck at producing offense, the proof is in the pudding. Individual plays of brilliance don't happen with regularity, that's why they are special plays. Fundamentally, we lack scoring depth, so the other teams can just match up against the Sedins and they don't care who plays against the other 3 lines. We will almost certainly have the lowest goal total for in franchise history this year, think about that, consider who we have on this team, and think about the fact that that is the likely outcome. Sedins, Eriksson, Sutter, Horvat, Hansen, Baertschi... Our coaching staff is a joke, but our roster isn't much better, but this team has had worse teams and scored more. That should tell you something.

It's possible the system could be the problem. Management did ask Willy to play more structured.

But overall we're getting chances each game. Eriksson is due. Baerstchi will find his way. I hope Virtanen figures things out this season. Sutter will contribute.

I just don't see things as bad as people are making it. Once some of our key guys get going we'll start winning games.

That said an 8 game losing streak is really bad and there should be much more urgency. Blaming the coach is always the go-to. I just think it's unfair in Willy's case. It's up to the players to perform.

3 hours ago, GoBoGo53 said:

Oh no man, you can believe whatever you want, didn't mean anything otherwise.

You are right, of course they aren't going to remain cold for the rest of the season, but at the same time, I don't think they had the talent to begin with. Alot of people overestimated this team and how good they could possibly be.

Could very well be true. I think our confidence is completely dead though. 

The only guys consistently producing are the Sedins. IMO what we need is for the vets to jump start the young guys. But that can't happen until the vets get going.

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

Actually every sports media outlet said we will be last and get 65 points or less. 

I'm ok with that if we get Nolan Patrick.

but will see. this team has certain tendencies.   won't say which lol

4 hours ago, Tystick said:

It's just the team we have, which is one with very little scoring talent right now. If one half of the team is "hot" and producing an average of 1.75 goals per game it will inevitably go cold at some point and the other half of the team may or may not pick up the slack.

Well to be fair Eriksson eventually will be good for 60ish points a season. Baertschi should finish the year with 30+ points. Horvat with 40, perhaps 50. If Virtanen gets going I could see him ending with 30 points.

You may think I'm out to lunch but lets see what happens. I'm completely confident things will turn around. We're due.

It's just a matter of when key guys like Sutter and Eriksson get going.

1 hour ago, Tystick said:

It's possible the system could be the problem. Management did ask Willy to play more structured.

But overall we're getting chances each game. Eriksson is due. Baerstchi will find his way. I hope Virtanen figures things out this season. Sutter will contribute.

I just don't see things as bad as people are making it. Once some of our key guys get going we'll start winning games.

That said an 8 game losing streak is really bad and there should be much more urgency. Blaming the coach is always the go-to. I just think it's unfair in Willy's case. It's up to the players to perform.

14 minutes ago, Tystick said:

Well to be fair Eriksson eventually will be good for 60ish points a season. Baertschi should finish the year with 30+ points. Horvat with 40, perhaps 50. If Virtanen gets going I could see him ending with 30 points.

You may think I'm out to lunch but lets see what happens. I'm completely confident things will turn around. We're due.

It's just a matter of when key guys like Sutter and Eriksson get going.

The thing is, nobody cares that you are confident about things. Your confidence comes from no logical foundation. It's just arbitrary opinion with no supporting evidence. That's the kind of stupid talk you keep to yourself, unless you want to get criticized, I'm assuming you want to get criticized. Why is Eriksson going to score 60 pts? He is on a team with significantly less scoring depth than Boston, (which is kind of sad to say.).... The thing about good offensive teams is that it's the depth of scoring that wears down defenses, not the first line. 

We have 21 goals in 13 games, which is 1.62 goals per game, the next lowest is 2.00 goals per game. The Rangers have 4.23 goals per game, which is first in the league. Just for perspective. 1.62 goals per game projects to 132 goals over the season, which is 59 or 60 below the lowest total in franchise history. We are clearly going to be under that number, it's a question of by how much. According to Wikipedia, the fewest goals scored in a season longer than 70 games was 133 goals by the 53-54 Blackhawks. That is above our projection, if only just, and that is pathetic. It's also probably worth mentioning, that 2 of our 21 goals are OT winners, that 10% ratio will most likely not continue. So I'd say our projection is even lower at the moment. 

I don't understand, what is your expectation for improvement. I see your point totals, but how does that translate into wins? How many? Do you think we make the playoffs? Basically I'm asking you how deluded you are. I think your point totals are out to lunch, Horvat is NOT scoring 50, Eriksson is NOT scoring 60. And while Baertschi easily could score 30 points this season, is that really all that useful? No, it's not.

5 hours ago, Tystick said:

Honestly, I don't think anyone seen this coming.

I didn't think we would be bottom of the barrel and we're definitely capable of more.

We just need to start scoring. Guys like Eriksson, Sutter, Baertschi, Virtanen, even Burrows need to start scoring if we're going to win games.

We can't expect to win games if we're solely relying on the Sedin's and Hansen.

Agreed..I did not see this this coming...One would have expected a significant improvement and progress in the play of players like Baertschi and Virtanen (who both look like they have regressed?)...and the only contribution from Eriksson is scoring a goal in our net.

All I can think of is that the new coaches 'system' (endorsed by management) just isn't conducive to this team...Completely relying on the twins is pure folly,as they usually hit the wall around late January ...Given their hard miles,it could be sooner.

Archived