The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Security Job Experiences?

Bruce Boudreau

1 minute ago, VanGnome said:

Not sure how you use that information to jump to the conclusion that "starting a business is more accessible than ever ". Like I said, yes you can put up a website at a reduced price, but once you put up that website all sorts of barriers exist to getting actual hits on that website. Unless you have $50k to dump into google AdWords, good luck.

8 minutes ago, ReggieBush said:

@Chip Kelly

You could always be a mall cop. I think Chip fits the description :lol:

Paul Blart protecting Metrotown from punk ass pepper spraying teenagers during the Holiday rush?

What about campus security can I literally go up to them and ask them questions about what they do and things they like about the job.

Security isn't a bad gig if you're a student, you want extra cash or if you want to somehow leverage it into something more.  

I did security for a few years, graveyard shift at a trucking facility in the middle of nowhere.  Just parked my car in front of the only entrance and leeched off the "free" wifi that came from another building (when wifi was new and they didn't put any encryption on it).  Pay sucks, but it is a bit more than minimum.  

Depending on time/location, you can pretty much get paid for doing your homework/study.  Some I know eventually went on to join the police... but I am not sure how much weight, if any, it carried.

BST1/2 was easy, since it was mostly common sense stuff. 

They recruit all types of people.  Some I met were retired cops, some were students, once I met a woman who was like 8 months pregnant at the time..... you're not expected to do anything physical, at least most locations.  Just observe and report... let the cops handle actual threatening situations.  Now if you doing security for say a rave, a hospital or something, then they may need someone with a bit more physical ability, but even then they specially have some guards for more physical work.  

58 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

Serious question here do these security recruiters prefer more alpha take charge guys when $&!# hits the fan, or some beta who bitches out when you actually have to handle a situation?

It's very easy to become a security guard.  Once you finish the course its pretty easy to find work.  A lot of guards are honestly pretty bad at their job.  As a guard you are required to take action because you are responsible for the safety of the people inside your job site and the property itself.  So you can start off timid but you learn quick if you want to be relied upon you need to be able to take charge in times of emergencies and other conflict resolution situations.  It's a fun job and the more you do it the more comfortable you get in the role.  My first few shifts were a little nerve wracking because your not only learning the in's and out's of a new job but also trying to determine how to approach certain situations.  I enjoy it but I wouldn't say its a life long career unless you get sanctification in your work site!

Before I joined the company I am with now I saw several violations which would of ended up with guards being suspended.  But at the time I didn't know the rules and regulations for guards.  It's important you take the job seriously but there is often quite a lot of downtime if things are going smooth.  You notice a considerable difference based on the day of the week and amount of stuff you need to deal with.  Working in areas close too a downtown region often require a little more TLC but if you have a gig in a nice neighborhood it generally is pretty smooth.  You get the odd person with mental health issues but generally they are good people who often get labelled.  

If you decide to pursue it you will learn pretty quick what its all about.  I honestly could use a refreshing of my bsp training.  It's been less then a year but im already getting fuzzy on some of the recommended actions.  Time will tell though! It's great if you want a gig that's easy on the body and makes you feel like you are doing something of value too your employer and their tenants.  

2 hours ago, Rush17 said:

It's very easy to become a security guard.  Once you finish the course its pretty easy to find work.  A lot of guards are honestly pretty bad at their job.  As a guard you are required to take action because you are responsible for the safety of the people inside your job site and the property itself.  So you can start off timid but you learn quick if you want to be relied upon you need to be able to take charge in times of emergencies and other conflict resolution situations.  It's a fun job and the more you do it the more comfortable you get in the role.  My first few shifts were a little nerve wracking because your not only learning the in's and out's of a new job but also trying to determine how to approach certain situations.  I enjoy it but I wouldn't say its a life long career unless you get sanctification in your work site!

Before I joined the company I am with now I saw several violations which would of ended up with guards being suspended.  But at the time I didn't know the rules and regulations for guards.  It's important you take the job seriously but there is often quite a lot of downtime if things are going smooth.  You notice a considerable difference based on the day of the week and amount of stuff you need to deal with.  Working in areas close too a downtown region often require a little more TLC but if you have a gig in a nice neighborhood it generally is pretty smooth.  You get the odd person with mental health issues but generally they are good people who often get labelled.  

If you decide to pursue it you will learn pretty quick what its all about.  I honestly could use a refreshing of my bsp training.  It's been less then a year but im already getting fuzzy on some of the recommended actions.  Time will tell though! It's great if you want a gig that's easy on the body and makes you feel like you are doing something of value too your employer and their tenants.  

Which location is good for newbies lower stress less danger etc?

Campus Security seems alright. I mean luckily this isn't the US and knock on wood have to worry about a lockdown situation.

Retail loss prevention sounds pretty good too.

What are your actual duties day to day and how quickly when you are new do they leave you on your own to make judgements and decisions?

When did you start working for your current company?

You can respond in this thread or PM me if you are more comfortable discussing a little bit more in depth.

Thanks again for your input I really want to make sure I know what I am getting into before paying to get the license and beginning the application process.

18 hours ago, Apple Juice said:

All you need to do is take the security licensing test and any security company will hire you. They're always looking for security guards so you can pretty much dictate which company you want to work for. I'd advise you to do some research as to which security company you want to work for as some companies offer great pay but bad hours while others offer decent pay and flexible/good hours.

I had a friend who got his license and the minute he got it, every security company he applied to asked for an interview. He ended up being hired by Concord Security to work at Aberdeen Mall and I think he's still there. Pay is decent but I'm sure if you're in it for the money, there are other companies that pay more than 15 or 16 an hour. Like I said, it will really depend on which security company you apply to and the pay rate so do some research before you go and apply. It may seem great to work for Securiguard or Fusion or Genesis for example but it'd be better off if you look for security companies that suit your needs.

I applied to Fusion for the heck of it just to see it they would call back and to see what type of questions they ask when applying.

I don't even remember my application what should I say to the recruiter guy? 

fc UK me!!!

My only first hand experience is at VGH. When I was in ER (Or a hallway in ER on a stretcher). I was given meds to help the dizziness from my stroke. The guy in the stretcher behind me got into a fight with his brother in law and started a punch up. They called security and Police who were at the Hospital already arrived before security did to calm things down.

Good thing no one had a weapon. 

10 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

My only first hand experience is at VGH. When I was in ER (Or a hallway in ER on a stretcher). I was given meds to help the dizziness from my stroke. The guy in the stretcher behind me got into a fight with his brother in law and started a punch up. They called security and Police who were at the Hospital already arrived before security did to calm things down.

Good thing no one had a weapon. 

Wait so what part of this is related to working a security job?

1 minute ago, Chip Kelly said:

Wait so what part of this is related to working a security job?

The security guys took like 5-10 minutes to respond. The police officers responded sooner than they did. It was over by the time they showed up. So yeah, hospital security seemed either really busy or really bad response time. Can't imagine it's a fun job at a hospital. I'm surprised the amount of abuse the nurses and docs get in ER. 

3 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

Which location is good for newbies lower stress less danger etc?

Campus Security seems alright. I mean luckily this isn't the US and knock on wood have to worry about a lockdown situation.

Retail loss prevention sounds pretty good too.

What are your actual duties day to day and how quickly when you are new do they leave you on your own to make judgements and decisions?

When did you start working for your current company?

You can respond in this thread or PM me if you are more comfortable discussing a little bit more in depth.

Thanks again for your input I really want to make sure I know what I am getting into before paying to get the license and beginning the application process.

yeah I'll send you a msg when I'm not working.

3 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

I just literally got a call back from fusion security over a job full time or part time that I applied for last week. I just applied for the heck of it to see if they would call back because I listed my availability as pretty much anything.

What do I do now?

you could go for the interview or call and tell them you are very interested in the job. you just need to finish getting your licence.  typically most companies will hire you on after you finish if they like you.

finding guards is pretty easy but finding quality ones can be more difficult. it's a lot of info to remember from the program though to be fair. 

22 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

I just literally got a call back from fusion security over a job full time or part time that I applied for last week. I just applied for the heck of it to see if they would call back because I listed my availability as pretty much anything.

What do I do now?

:mellow:

Take the job.  Try it out and see if you like it before committing to the course work.  I know if you get level two, and have experience, you can get good career jobs at airports or in jails/prisons.  The best gig is getting your level two, and restricted firearms certificates, then you can be a Brinks driver:)

On 2016-11-22 at 9:49 PM, Chip Kelly said:

Hey everyone, 

Recently I have been looking into a possible career into security.

Does anyone have any experience with security? Is it as dead end as it seems and what opportunities are there if you want to stay only in Vancouver and the lower mainland?

Can you get into the hotel industry as security or some other customer service positions or something?

I'm really tired of these food and restaurant type/retail kiddie jobs.

At the same time I don't want to do something that is gonna be unsafe or requires you to work with your hands if you know what I mean.

I need to start making some money so I can save up and go back to school and in the mean time try to figure out what I need to study to get that degree to hopefully get a stable job in the future.

I'm tired of this seasonal,contract,temp, type jobs.

I need something with a reasonable amount of hours.

I feel bad.    Never mind.    

But still,  weak dude

Archived