The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Security Job Experiences?

Bruce Boudreau

44 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

Or a good connection.

Continuing_Education.jpg

Registration for the orientation begins December 5!

Call 1.888.823.8734 to register for the free orientation. Questions? Call 604.847.5451

Power Line Technician foundation program

Program overview

The Power Line Technician (PLT) program at UFV is a pre-apprenticeship program that provides you with the basic skills necessary to enter the workplace as a power line worker.

Power line technicians build and maintain overhead and underground power transmission and distribution systems. They erect and maintain electrical poles, towers, and guy wires, and install or repair live-line wiring.

The program covers the activities and core skills required of a level 1 power line technician, and includes both theory and outdoor performance-based exercises. The hands-on training is delivered in collaboration with highly experienced instructors from Electrical Industry Training Institute (EITI Global).

During the program’s last week, an on-site job fair will provide you with the opportunity to meet employers, make connections, and demonstrate your skills.

Power Line Technician is a nationally designated trade under the Red Seal program.

Tuition and fees

$12, 000

23 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

Ok so I have decided to not pursue security. 

I have turned my attention to Impark CSR inbound call center position.

Any body have thoughts on something like this? Any experiences or stories?

No real experience....

But  looks a bit isolating.... but maybe you can spend half your day on  Canucks Forum.... LOL 

former-employee-says-working-at-an-outso

What about Plumbing or HVAC ?

28 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

Ok so I have decided to not pursue security. 

I have turned my attention to Impark CSR inbound call center position.

Any body have thoughts on something like this? Any experiences or stories?

Alf had a brother-in-law working at a call centre.  He was on the management side of things.  He hated it.  Thought there was way too much stress.  The turnover of workers was crazy high, as workers had quotas, and were replaced if not meeting them.  

4 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

No real experience....

But  looks a bit isolating.... but maybe you can spend half your day on  Canucks Forum.... LOL 

former-employee-says-working-at-an-outso

What about Plumbing or HVAC ?

Hmm. Well the trades is something I would look into if I knew that I couldn't handle office type work or didn't like it for sure. But right now I am still trying to see if there any other options just to get an idea of what is out there.

3 hours ago, brilac said:

I worked in a call center at the cable company for 6 1/2 years in Technical Support. Boy...!

Wow!! Some Glassdoor reviews I have read have people trashing Impark and the bad management and high stress high turnover not to mention long hours and dealing with downright angry and rude people.

How many calls at a time or your did they expect from you? What were their KPIs to measure employee productivity?

6 years is a long time considering in some call center places people work no more than a year and either get laid off,fired, or quit.

I'm guessing you had a decent experience...?

26 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

Wow!! Some Glassdoor reviews I have read have people trashing Impark and the bad management and high stress high turnover not to mention long hours and dealing with downright angry and rude people.

How many calls at a time or your did they expect from you? What were their KPIs to measure employee productivity?

6 years is a long time considering in some call center places people work no more than a year and either get laid off,fired, or quit.

I'm guessing you had a decent experience...?

No, I just have a lot of patience. I can do something for many years and not like it, and I'm more of a listener.

4 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Well  -  did you take a security job.. ?  Should be lots of jobs now with xmas ....   Are you now a mall cop ?

No I didn't. I had a dream one night  where I was working a night shift at some mall in the lower mainland watching all the shoppers buzzing about making plans buying gifts and me sitting there after the crowd is out going through my life choices that made me end up there...

The thought of being isolated by myself allowing the chance for my mind to wander into some deep thoughts freaked me out..

I was worried the irregular shifts would turn me into a zombie and lose what social skills and brain cells I have left.

4 hours ago, Grapefruits said:

Get in with the Government.  It isn't necessarily easy, but once you're in, it opens the door to some very high paying jobs that only Government workers have access to. 

If you can't beat em, join em.

I'd love to get into that.... If I had the connections government and even union jobs are where it's at for sure if you want some job security.

10 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

I'd love to get into that.... If I had the connections government and even union jobs are where it's at for sure if you want some job security.

Go apply at your local city hall job competition board.   So many great paying positions. Get your foot in one department then try to transfer to the one you want like..... Parks n Rec > )  

15 minutes ago, Mr.DirtyDangles said:

Go apply at your local city hall job competition board.   So many great paying positions. Get your foot in one department then try to transfer to the one you want like..... Parks n Rec > )  

I have looked through the jobs posted and most require either significant experience in a certain field as well as education to back it up.

Since I don't have a formal degree I don't think they would consider me unfortunately.

6 hours ago, Grapefruits said:

Get in with the Government.  It isn't necessarily easy, but once you're in, it opens the door to some very high paying jobs that only Government workers have access to. 

If you can't beat em, join em

SELL OUT

Have you considered a medical field? Things like sterile technician or lab assistant.  

Get into Fraserhealth and the pay starts in the low 20s for those jobs. 

I did pharmacy tech for a bit but left because the rotation shifts blew.  But the pay tops out around 27/hr in a hospital.  Only problem is all the techs thought they were MDs...bunch of goofs. 

Archived